Does This Fight Change People's Perspectives On GGG?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
TheSickness316

Does This Fight Change People's Perspectives On GGG?

Post by TheSickness316 »

When the talks of Canelo vs. GGG happened nearly 2 years ago, some on here chose to question GGG based on his resume. He's essentially faced cab drivers and all of that. Now based on how the fight went, has this changed those minds in how they look at GGG?
Tocsin

Re: Does This Fight Change People's Perspectives On GGG?

Post by Tocsin »

Reaffirms my belief that he's not superman, but hes very good, and aside from running through B level opponents he can get the better of younger P4P fighters.
theVAMP
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ

Post by theVAMP »

As a fighter, i still view him the same.

But im probably a bit more of a fan now.
DBO
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges

Post by DBO »

Danny Jacobs already showed that GGG was beatable. Canelo further proved that GGG against the elites are a pretty even playing field.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

No Boxer, No Human Being is Superhuman. He's a very good fighter. Always was.

Just 2 fights shy of the Middleweight Title defense record now. Not a good chance he'll break it though if he does the Canelo rematch in that timeframe because they'll find a way to fuck 'em over completely in the rematch...either that or the additional time, and wear and tear of the 1st fight will give Canelo enough of an edge to legitimately beat him next time.

That's what sickens me most. Is we are now faced with the potential situation where GGG can rematch Canelo. Beat him again, and still get fucked over. Thereby getting what would be his career defining win TWICE, and still not having the win on his record to show for it.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

I understand him not living up to the superman type hype that I felt the fighter themselves helped create when people in his division refused to fight him and fans and the media have eaten it up. I think though that since we were getting all these questions on how good GGG is based on who he has faced, that his performance last night (he clearly won in my opinion) that he should be looked at in a much better light by those who were questioning him.
dwightmac83

Post by dwightmac83 »

Not really pretty much stays the same for me
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Stays the same for me
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

It might hurt it, actually.

There was talk that Triple G could stretch Hearns the way Hagler did. I know this because I made the poll asking the question. Also some talk that he could give Hagler a run for his money.

If he couldn't dispatch Canelo, what makes anyone now think he could hang with the likes of Hearns or Hagler?

A very good fighter but isn't head and shoulders above the current elite 160-168 lbers.

I think his last few fights may force people to reevaluate his place amongst all time MW greats.
Last edited by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:It might hurt it, actually.

There was talk that Triple G could stretch Hearns the way Hagler did. I know this because I made the poll asking the question. Also some talk that he could give Hagler a run for his money.

If he couldn't dispatch Canelo, what makes anyone now think he could hang with the likes of Hearns or Hagler?

A very good fighter but isn't head and shoulders above the very best from 160-168.
Doesn't change my mind one way or another on the imaginary Hagler fight. I wasn't convinced one way or another before and this fight didn't change that. Hagler retired at 33 looking slower than he had previously. Not sure if Canelo, who has very fast hands, made Golovkin's hands look slow but he looked slower than he had previously to me. If 33 year old Hagler met 33 year old Golovkin I think it would be competitive.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Morevchanged about canelo imo... He was never in THAT deep and he showed heart, skills and elite durability to stay in there, take punishment, regroup and regain energy to win some late rounds
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Helluva fighter, best MW in the world, he proved that last night...but not some other-worldly fighter that some made him out to be. Quite frankly, he was being out-boxed rather easily by Canelo in the first 3 rounds, he's nowhere near the boxer he's been made out to be. But to his credit, and him showing the true heart of a champion...he bit down, said fuck it, and just took the fight to Canelo. He did what he does best, and just came forward, unloaded his power shots, and never let Canelo take a moment to breathe. He did what he had to do to win that fight, and he took it to the younger, and IMO, stronger fighter.

I know I come across like I hate the guy, but I'm just realistic about him. He's a REALLY good fighter, and he's passed the two biggest tests of his career. I would have loved for him to challenge himself more at times, but hey, I can only judge him on what he's done. And he's flawlessly done well thus far....
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:Helluva fighter, best MW in the world, he proved that last night...but not some other-worldly fighter that some made him out to be. Quite frankly, he was being out-boxed rather easily by Canelo in the first 3 rounds, he's nowhere near the boxer he's been made out to be. But to his credit, and him showing the true heart of a champion...he bit down, said fuck it, and just took the fight to Canelo. He did what he does best, and just came forward, unloaded his power shots, and never let Canelo take a moment to breathe. He did what he had to do to win that fight, and he took it to the younger, and IMO, stronger fighter.

I know I come across like I hate the guy, but I'm just realistic about him. He's a REALLY good fighter, and he's passed the two biggest tests of his career. I would have loved for him to challenge himself more at times, but hey, I can only judge him on what he's done. And he's flawlessly done well thus far....
Something that isn't fault of GGG that I feel people get on him for is how people hyped him up. Unless he's going in there and getting that knockout like it's nothing he can never live up to the hype. I can understand why some use it against him, but it's something he can never truly live up to and it is something people who choose to hate on GGG will always go towards.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Same.

Jacobs is the best middleweight in the world.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Something that isn't fault of GGG that I feel people get on him for is how people hyped him up. Unless he's going in there and getting that knockout like it's nothing he can never live up to the hype. I can understand why some use it against him, but it's something he can never truly live up to and it is something people who choose to hate on GGG will always go towards.
Sick,

It was his rabid supporters that burdened him with a lot of unrealistic expectations, and made him into this ATG/Boogey Man. You're right, that's not his fault. Because he's having to live up to the gaudy expectations heaped on him by his supporters, and his detractors constantly tearing at him and those expectations.

If he was just judged properly and realistically, I don't think we're even having this discussion.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:
Sick,

It was his rabid supporters that burdened him with a lot of unrealistic expectations, and made him into this ATG/Boogey Man. You're right, that's not his fault. Because he's having to live up to the gaudy expectations heaped on him by his supporters, and his detractors constantly tearing at him and those expectations.

If he was just judged properly and realistically, I don't think we're even having this discussion.
His superfans didn't help, but I feel that something that helped this build to what it has become is when the named fighters like Saunders, Eubank Jr, and Canelo (for over a year) refused to get in there with him and people just ran with it.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Being the most ducked fighter of all time made him the boogeyman.
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

Same for me
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
kinggrissly

Post by kinggrissly »

A few years ago everyone was saying he would kill Canelo, and not only that, Canelo would lose to his victims like Lemieux and Geale. I never bought that. The technical flaws were always there. I thought he would win because Carmelo has never quite escaped his averageness. Close with Trout, Lara and Cotto. I think he's a better fighter than GGG if not for the factor of power. He just can't change a fight with one punch like GGG. What I found out I think about GGG is he choked in the clutch. I thought around the 8th and 9th round he was looking about as good as I've seen him and I thought it was over, but Canelo stole the last 2 maybe even 3 rounds. You put that together with the first 3 or 4 rounds and shit happens.
NOT MY PRESIDENT
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

kinggrissly wrote:A few years ago everyone was saying he would kill Canelo, and not only that, Canelo would lose to his victims like Lemieux and Geale. I never bought that. The technical flaws were always there. I thought he would win because Carmelo has never quite escaped his averageness. Close with Trout, Lara and Cotto. I think he's a better fighter than GGG if not for the factor of power. He just can't change a fight with one punch like GGG. What I found out I think about GGG is he choked in the clutch. I thought around the 8th and 9th round he was looking about as good as I've seen him and I thought it was over, but Canelo stole the last 2 maybe even 3 rounds. You put that together with the first 3 or 4 rounds and shit happens.
Please, tell us all about the technical flaws :roll:
kinggrissly

Post by kinggrissly »

Losing the last 2 rounds of the fight he waited his whole career for SMH
NOT MY PRESIDENT
kinggrissly

Post by kinggrissly »

That 10th is HIGHLY debatable.
NOT MY PRESIDENT
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

kinggrissly wrote:Losing the last 2 rounds of the fight he waited his whole career for SMH
Yet Lara is a fucking genius for running the last 1/2 of the biggest fight of his career.

If you were not so predictable you would at least be amusing.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

Prefight, I read a lot of Golovkin does everything better than Canelo. After last night, the only things I saw that Triple does better is stalk, puncher harder and can fight at a faster pace.

Canelo, IMO, proved he is the much better all-round boxer, and is simply more dynamic. Golovkin was the one who looked like the plodder last night, and Canelo looked light on his feet. Canelo did whatever he wanted in there, whenever he wanted. Props to Golovkin for applying the constant pressure, but he's incredibly basic and predictable. This may sound contradictory because I actually scored the fight for Golovkin.
kinggrissly

Post by kinggrissly »

Cagiva9 wrote:
kinggrissly wrote:Losing the last 2 rounds of the fight he waited his whole career for SMH
Yet Lara is a fucking genius for running the last 1/2 of the biggest fight of his career.

If you were not so predictable you would at least be amusing.
I never said that. Get out of your feelings.
NOT MY PRESIDENT

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”