Does This Fight Change People's Perspectives On GGG?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
gino7799

Re: Does This Fight Change People's Perspectives On GGG?

Post by gino7799 »

DBO wrote:Danny Jacobs already showed that GGG was beatable. Canelo further proved that GGG against the elites are a pretty even playing field.
He beat Canelo by a wider margin than he beat Jacobs
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

the13r wrote:Morevchanged about canelo imo... He was never in THAT deep and he showed heart, skills and elite durability to stay in there, take punishment, regroup and regain energy to win some late rounds

This sums it for me.

I learned more about Canelo than about GGG. Canelo has ability, toughness, and heart. He needs more stamina to be a superstar, in my opinion - but even that seemed improved to me from what I have seen in some of his fights.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

He swept the last 3 rounds. His stamina wasnt his ussue imo
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Post by lurkyshaka »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:He swept the last 3 rounds. His stamina wasnt his ussue imo
Personally I don't think he did sweep the last 3, but I do think he took 2 of the last 3 which on the surface might seem like he doesn't have a stamina issue.

But he does, he's unable to fight hard for 36 minutes. He HAS to take breaks and limit his output. He has to portion his energy levels out, he was unable to match Golovkin's pace. Against lesser fighters his offensive bursts have been enough to keep them contained/controlled, but against a guy like Golovkin his lack of stamina was exposed. And weight making can no longer be used as an excuse for that now. Its just in his genetic makeup, his stamina is patchy.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Thats actually a good analysis of him. He fights in spectacular bursts then doesnt do much. I dont know if its a stamina thing or what but he had a lot left in the tank down the stretch . Maybe its a confidence issue.

Ggg showed too much respect early and didnt go to the body at all. In a rematch GGG will win going away.
Based

Post by Based »

GGG is the same in my mind. He's just older. He beat Canelo and got robbed on the cards. Everyone is says it outside of a few posters here with an agenda against GGG.

My question now is, does this affect him getting Fighter of the Year? He beat Jacobs and CANELO. Those are meaningful opponents.
Last edited by Based on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

the13r wrote:Morevchanged about canelo imo... He was never in THAT deep and he showed heart, skills and elite durability to stay in there, take punishment, regroup and regain energy to win some late rounds

this
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

He was tired in the middle of the fight. In the first two rounds he was fast and his hands had a lot of power. Even when he was winning a couple of rounds at the end his power was not the same. He was exhausted. I do think he look good considering who he faced.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:Thats actually a good analysis of him. He fights in spectacular bursts then doesnt do much. I dont know if its a stamina thing or what but he had a lot left in the tank down the stretch . Maybe its a confidence issue.

Ggg showed too much respect early and didnt go to the body at all. In a rematch GGG will win going away.
Triple is a clean pressure fighter. He can adjust and go to the body(lost my voice foolishly calling for body work while watching) which will make his job easier, but Father Time will also be working against the Kazakh and Canelo now has 12 rounds of professional experience against the champ. Add to that I don't think Canelo goes right into the rematch this May. Considering the choices GB has made these last 2 years I can't see it next up.
NoPropaganda 253

gino7799 wrote:
DBO wrote:Danny Jacobs already showed that GGG was beatable. Canelo further proved that GGG against the elites are a pretty even playing field.
He beat Canelo by a wider margin than he beat Jacobs
Agreed The Gino. Misread that
Last edited by NoPropaganda 253 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
jeff_lacy_ko wrote:Thats actually a good analysis of him. He fights in spectacular bursts then doesnt do much. I dont know if its a stamina thing or what but he had a lot left in the tank down the stretch . Maybe its a confidence issue.

Triple is a clean pressure fighter. He can adjust and go to the body(lost my voice foolishly calling for body work while watching) which will make his job easier, but Father Time will also be working against the Kazakh and Canelo now has 12 rounds of professional experience against the champ. Add to that I don't think Canelo goes right into the rematch this May. Considering the choices GB has made these last 2 years I can't see it next up.
I was hoping he would go to the body more and throw some more uppercuts.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Tommy wrote:Being the most ducked fighter of all time made him the boogeyman.
Being ducked always turns guys into the boogeyman. I remember Antonio Margarito, and Paul Williams had spells as "Boogeymen" too.

Fight fans have a tendency to get behind good fighters that are being ducked.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

He proved he's an elite fighter. I think we all knew that. He's thrived as the big fish in the small pond for years. The Jacobs and Canelo fights were step ups in class for him. He showed he absolutely belongs in the upper echelon of fighters.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
pimparoni32

Post by pimparoni32 »

I left this fight thinking GGG missed his opportunity to fight the best when he was at his best. I thought he looked great, having a young fighter run from him and lay on the ropes.

Canelo looked good too, but only in spots.

Great fight GGG 8-4.
"Being alive's a crock of $hit" Kilgore Trout
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

gilgamesh wrote:
Tommy wrote:Being the most ducked fighter of all time made him the boogeyman.
Being ducked always turns guys into the boogeyman. I remember Antonio Margarito, and Paul Williams had spells as "Boogeymen" too.

Paul Williams would have beaten every orthodox fighter that lived. Never met a southpaw he could beat...

Such a fun fighter to watch.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

yoloswaggy911 wrote:
gilgamesh wrote: Being ducked always turns guys into the boogeyman. I remember Antonio Margarito, and Paul Williams had spells as "Boogeymen" too.

Paul Williams would have beaten every orthodox fighter that lived. Never met a southpaw he could beat...

That might be stretching a point just a little too far. Hearns and probably SRL (among others) put him to sleep. Enjoyed his fight with Margo though, surprised me a lot. I thought Margo would beat him senseless.
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

Just makes me respect his boxing skills even more.
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

Cagiva9 wrote:
yoloswaggy911 wrote:
gilgamesh wrote: Being ducked always turns guys into the boogeyman. I remember Antonio Margarito, and Paul Williams had spells as "Boogeymen" too.

That might be stretching a point just a little too far. Hearns and probably SRL (among others) put him to sleep. Enjoyed his fight with Margo though, surprised me a lot. I thought Margo would beat him senseless.

I was joking, but he sure was a sucker for southpaws. Very very fun to watch though. Apparently he's training now.
Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

Was always top class fighter but in my mind was never the ATG some people hyped him to be, he was knocking over average guys, as soon as the opponents became top shelf the ko's stopped and he started to struggle, I know why they wanted no part of Andre Ward I think its very apparent how that would go.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

The division was dead for years before he showed up. 154 was lit at the time and 160 was a wasteland. He single handedly turned the division into one of the hottest divisions in boxing.
Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

yoloswaggy911 wrote:The division was dead for years before he showed up. 154 was lit at the time and 160 was a wasteland. He single handedly turned the division into one of the hottest divisions in boxing.
How can be a hot division when nobody but him is in it, compare it to the WWs and its second class, takes a number of elite guys to really heat up a division one guy dominating an average bunch don't do it for me.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

He smacked the shit out of Canelo for plenty of rounds but did not get started early enough. His status remains the same as the best fighter in the division and possibly the best fighter in multiple divisions. He very obviously won the fight against Canelo so there is no reason to put Canelo any higher.

Credit to Canelo for moving enough in the first three rounds to potentially win them all and heck of a chin to absorb the real beating he took. Even if you consider the fight close, Canelo took, by far, the worse beating between the two. In a rematch, if Canelo will fight, I suspect GGG will start throwing a lot earlier and get back to his normal pressure game.
tainos
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion

Post by tainos »

David wrote:He smacked the shit out of Canelo for plenty of rounds but did not get started early enough. His status remains the same as the best fighter in the division and possibly the best fighter in multiple divisions. He very obviously won the fight against Canelo so there is no reason to put Canelo any higher.

Credit to Canelo for moving enough in the first three rounds to potentially win them all and heck of a chin to absorb the real beating he took. Even if you consider the fight close, Canelo took, by far, the worse beating between the two. In a rematch, if Canelo will fight, I suspect GGG will start throwing a lot earlier and get back to his normal pressure game.
This! I was surprised how well Canelo's chin held up especially late when he was fatigued.
Yo naci en Puerto Rico. Pero me cree en Nueva York. Pero nunca me olvidare, de mi tierra Borinquena.
Team Platano Power - Carribean Connection
NoPropaganda 253

David wrote:He smacked the shit out of Canelo for plenty of rounds but did not get started early enough. His status remains the same as the best fighter in the division and possibly the best fighter in multiple divisions. He very obviously won the fight against Canelo so there is no reason to put Canelo any higher.

Was waiting for your breakdown, D. I was also impressed by Canelo's chin and movement. Also, didn't think he would be that mobile for 12 and maybe the smaller weight cut aided in that.

Start earlier, commit to the body early, mix up the combinations and utilize more feints with the pressure/combo's when he lays up on the ropes.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

his stamina is an issue IMO. he just knows how to preserve it. he fights for the first minute and the last 30 seconds of every round, then stalls for the middle portion unless a gaping opening is there to unload on. he seems to tire quickly but also regain his wind quickly. i think he knows early on if a guy can withstand his power for 12 rounds those fights he seems to coast in the middle a bit to save somehting for the end.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”