If they had given it to GGG would anyone have had a problem?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Peat56

If they had given it to GGG would anyone have had a problem?

Post by Peat56 »

GGG won in my opinion. He won 7 rounds, maybe 8.

There are 6 rounds in the fight, 4 through 10, that are decisively GGG's. So your gonna tell me that Canelo won the other 6? C'mon! Among those other 6 rounds we can easily find one or two that go to GGG and probably one that is close.

Had the fight gone to GGG, would ANY boxing commentators or pundits be crying fowl? Would Canelo even have the nerve to say it was unfair?

Yes Canelo gave a great account of himself. He even finished strong, I'll give him that. And he was never in trouble nor in danger of being stopped. But this fight was GGG's for sure. I just don't know how you can fine more than 4 or 5 rounds that he won. The punch stats are certainly not in his favor.
Tommy

Re: If they had given it to GGG would anyone have had a prob

Post by Tommy »

I gave GGG 9 rounds but I watched it at the pub after half a dozen beers. No one there thought Canelo won.
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

I think back to De La Hoya's megafight with Tito Trinidad back in 2000. There was a major uproar there when Tito won, There is a stronger case for Tito winning THAT fight then for this being a draw
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

No because he was more effective... Canelo was struggling as hell and proved he was tough as fuck... but HE was the one in danger... not GGG... GGG was way more effective
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Considering I think GGG won 8 rounds to 4, no I wouldn't have had a problem with it.
DBO
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges

Post by DBO »

No because the fight was that close. 7-5 either way is fair. Wider and I think it starts to stink.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

GGG deserved about 8 rounds....I dont see how any reasonable person could think it wouldve been a bad decision.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

DBO wrote:No because the fight was that close. 7-5 either way is fair. Wider and I think it starts to stink.
I agree DBO. It was a very close fight. Watching it as a whole 1 36 minute fight id say GGG won. But as 12 individual rounds, they each won 6. I had a draw. I could see 7-5 argued either way. GGG was more active, Canelo defended well and landed the bigger shots. Tough fight to score but definitely close. Wider than 7-5 is just ridiculous and biased to me. I love both of these fighters they'll do it again and make a bunch more money that I'll gladly pay. That was a hell of a fight. Draws suck let's do it again
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Post by lurkyshaka »

TopNotch86 wrote:
DBO wrote:No because the fight was that close. 7-5 either way is fair. Wider and I think it starts to stink.
I agree DBO. It was a very close fight. Watching it as a whole 1 36 minute fight id say GGG won. But as 12 individual rounds, they each won 6. I had a draw. I could see 7-5 argued either way. GGG was more active, Canelo defended well and landed the bigger shots. Tough fight to score but definitely close. Wider than 7-5 is just ridiculous and biased to me. I love both of these fighters they'll do it again and make a bunch more money that I'll gladly pay. That was a hell of a fight. Draws suck let's do it again
You and DBO are the only people here who felt that was actually a close fight where a case could be made for the draw.

I don't think it was close.....though it was always competitive. But you shouldn't be awarded rounds for fighting in cameo's, NOT when the other guy is attacking consistently and with success. Alvarez's bursts kept him in the fight, but Golovkin was taking rounds by bossing the action, landing more punches and his punches had the more visible effect. It was 8-4 Golovkin, at worst 7-5 Golovkin if you give Alvarez the benefit of the doubt every time.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

I gave Canelo the first 3 rounds...then GGG said fuck it, hit the gas on him, and just pressed him relentlessly for the rest of the fight, winning 8 of the last 9 rounds IMO.

He was robbed plain and simple...
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

Thank you Hill for you honesty I gave 8 rounds to GGG and one round a draw and three rounds to Canelo
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

I mean, I can't even see how Canelo won any rounds down the stretch. The last 3 he flat out ran and hid on the ropes.

GGG is lucky he got the draw though, could have easily been straight up robbed.
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

I was thinking the same thing........I am surprised they aloud GGG to keep the draw the way DLH operates.......Maybe it was just too one sided of a victory.
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

lurkyshaka wrote:
TopNotch86 wrote:
You and DBO are the only people here who felt that was actually a close fight where a case could be made for the draw.

I don't think it was close.....though it was always competitive. But you shouldn't be awarded rounds for fighting in cameo's, NOT when the other guy is attacking consistently and with success. Alvarez's bursts kept him in the fight, but Golovkin was taking rounds by bossing the action, landing more punches and his punches had the more visible effect. It was 8-4 Golovkin, at worst 7-5 Golovkin if you give Alvarez the benefit of the doubt every time.
I agree with them. I saw an extremely close fight due to the GGG slow start and finish
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:
I agree with them. I saw an extremely close fight due to the GGG slow start and finish
3 posters on here then saw it close. Most obviously did not. I don't see any closer than 8-4 Golovkin.

I think Alvarez has to be given the benefit of every possible doubt to make this fight close. Then I think and would Golovkin has been awarded rounds if he'd opened up in small bursts but spent most of the time backpeddling looking to avoid contact?

At the end of the day Golovkin controlled the tempo and flow, he landed more, his shots had the more visible effect, and he was consistent throughout. Alvarez when he opens up is an impressive offensive fighter, but he's also patchy stamina wise and I'm not fooled by a fighter doing cameo's appearances in a 12 round championship fight.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

I disagree. GGG dominated the middle and landed the jab well but most of the clean shots were landed by Canelo. I GGG gave him the first 3 by starting so slow and Canelo took the last 3.

I respect your card greatly. You are one of the posters I consider a good judge.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:I disagree. GGG dominated the middle and landed the jab well but most of the clean shots were landed by Canelo. I GGG gave him the first 3 by starting so slow and Canelo took the last 3.

I respect your card greatly. You are one of the posters I consider a good judge.
Thanks, guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

I see 7 rounds for GGG at minimum but probably 8. I was into the beers.

My point was that if this fight had gone to GGG, no one of sound mind would be saying "hey, wasn't it kind of close?"

They'd be saying Canelo fought a great fight but it wasn't enough, and there wouldn't even be a hint of controversy or any problem with that decision. And we'd probably still be talking re-match!
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

I had it 8-4.

Fight resembled Canelo vs. Cotto with Canelo taking Miguel's place and Triple making better use of the jab than the bigger man in the Cotto fight. The champion controlled distance, tempo and never let Canelo rest behind one the best jabs in boxing. Triple could've made his night much easier if would have committed to the body early in the fightt. He was headhunting out there for the first half which allowed Canelo to throw with him and land good shots to body himself.

I didn't see a draw. I saw a clear win for Golovkin.
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

I had it 7-5 GGG. There is no way I can see Canelo winning more than 5 rounds. Two of Canelo's rounds could have went the other way.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

lurkyshaka wrote:
TopNotch86 wrote:

Ineffective volume punching by GGG is a majority of the work he's getting credit for. Canelo landed the bigger flusher shots all night long.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:I disagree. GGG dominated the middle and landed the jab well but most of the clean shots were landed by Canelo. I GGG gave him the first 3 by starting so slow and Canelo took the last 3.

Exactly how I had it. Canelos rally in the championship rounds earned him the draw. He fought lazy and sluggish in the middle rounds taking way too many breaks from punching but that's par for the course for him
mofo2

Post by mofo2 »

I had Canelo by one but a draw or a one round win for GGG was more than feasible, it was a pretty tight fight to mark
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:I gave Canelo the first 3 rounds...then GGG said fuck it, hit the gas on him, and just pressed him relentlessly for the rest of the fight, winning 8 of the last 9 rounds IMO.

Having GGG winning 2 of the last 3 is almost as insane to me as byrds 10-2 card lol we must have watched a different fight
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

TopNotch86 wrote:
Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:I gave Canelo the first 3 rounds...then GGG said fuck it, hit the gas on him, and just pressed him relentlessly for the rest of the fight, winning 8 of the last 9 rounds IMO.

Having GGG winning 2 of the last 3 is almost as insane to me as byrds 10-2 card lol we must have watched a different fight
I agree. I didnt find the last 3 all that difficult to score. Round 3 was a swing round. There were 2 othersbthat were close. 5 and maybe 9??

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”