Canelo's list of KO wins is filled w/small guys + glass jaws

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Re: Canelo's list of KO wins is filled w/small guys + glass

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

Let's see here:

Ouma was smaller than GGG.

Rosado was smaller than GGG.

Ishida was smaller than GGG.

Brook was smaller than GGG.

Stevens was stopped before GGG ever laid a glove on him.

Lemeiux was stopped before GGG ever laid a glove on him.

Rubio was stopped about 6 or 7 times before GGG ever laid a glove on him.

Macklin, the best version of him was already stopped by Sergio.

So... with GGG, we have a some smaller guys and guys who had been stopped before he even got to them.

Just saying....
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

lurkyshaka wrote:
marciano1952 wrote:the way he Looked vs JR(the Combos and sheer number of landed punchs) has had a big swing in the perception of this fight.....Add to that Golovkin coming off the toughest fight of his career...
Agreed....that's whats caused so many people to do an about turn.

But people only have to scratch the surface and ask themselves what Golovkin would have done to Chavez. And how Alvarez would have coped with Jacobs.
Good post
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

does he really bomb out lesser guys though? i mean, kirkland and khan are ultra chinny

Angulo took everything and never went down, Rhodes went into the 12th, Matt Hatton went the distance, Smith nearly went 10...
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

does he usually bomb out lesser guys though? i mean, kirkland and khan are ultra chinny, Angulo took everything over 10 rounds and never went down, Rhodes went into the 12th and was stopped standing, Matt Hatton went the distance without going down, Smith nearly went 10....these are JMWs or lower too.

But I do think he has solid power, just more of the accumulative type.
Last edited by Tocsin on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:Let's see here:

Ouma was smaller than GGG.

Rosado was smaller than GGG.

Ishida was smaller than GGG.

Brook was smaller than GGG.

Stevens was stopped before GGG ever laid a glove on him.

Lemeiux was stopped before GGG ever laid a glove on him.

Rubio was stopped about 6 or 7 times before GGG ever laid a glove on him.

Macklin, the best version of him was already stopped by Sergio.

So... with GGG, we have a some smaller guys and guys who had been stopped before he even got to them.

Just saying....
You also have MWs, and no one as chinny as Khan and Kirkland (embarrassingly stopped in one by Ishida). I don't think anyone suggested that GGG has never fought a smaller opponent or someone who was stopped before.
Hillsinitialrebirth

You also have MWs, and no one as chinny as Khan and Kirkland (embarrassingly stopped in one by Ishida). I don't think anyone suggested that GGG has never fought a smaller opponent or someone who was stopped before.
Well what's the point of this thread then???

GGG has fought smaller guys, and guys who have been stopped before too. They might not have been has chinny as Khan or Kirkland, but they were already dented.

What is also conveniently left out is: Canelo, has also fought the likes of Floyd, Cotto, Lara, and Trout, guys who collectively crush Mr. "I've Feasted on Stiffs" for all but one of my fights", line up of opponents.

Just saying...
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I imagine that the point is to show evidence that is relevant to assessing the type of power Canelo is bringing. There is a very heavy concentration of smaller and chinny opponents among his stoppage victims (much heavier than GGG's), and I don't see why it's unreasonable to consider that when it comes to discussing power, especially in light of multiple posters here stating that they think Canelo will win by stoppage.

You have to turn everything into 'double standards! so unfair!' nonsense...
Last edited by Tocsin on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Matt hatton and ndou are both durable ndou was never stopped... hatton once early in his career.

Baldozar was durable and canelo destroyed him. Same with smith.. how many times was he down??
theVAMP
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ

Post by theVAMP »

Would be more concerned if they didnt KO the guys listed.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:Matt hatton and ndou are both durable ndou was never stopped... hatton once early in his career.

Baldozar was durable and canelo destroyed him. Same with smith.. how many times was he down??
Hatton is tough (though Brook took a more measured approach and still dropped him), but he's also a limited welterweight. Baldomir was way past it and barely won his next fight against a local journeyman. Smith was down three times and stopped in the 9th...I wouldn't really call it 'bombed out', though it was one-sided.

Thing is that these guys are welterweights or JMWs, and really not that good. How much can you generalize from those showings to fights against top MWs?
Last edited by Tocsin on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hillsinitialrebirth

I imagine that the point is to show evidence that is relevant to assessing the type of power Canelo is bringing. There is a very heavy concentration of smaller and chinny opponents among his stoppage victims (much heavier than GGG's), and I don't see why it's unreasonable to consider that when it comes to discussing power.

You turn everything into 'double standards! so unfair!' nonsense
Ummm.... I think we all know that GGG hits harder than Canelo, I've never heard anybody suggest otherwise.

Again, what's the point of this thread???
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

Tocsin wrote:I imagine that the point is to show evidence that is relevant to assessing the type of power Canelo is bringing. There is a very heavy concentration of smaller and chinny opponents among his stoppage victims (much heavier than GGG's), and I don't see why it's unreasonable to consider that when it comes to discussing power, especially in light of multiple posters here stating that they think Canelo will win by stoppage.

You have to turn everything into 'double standards! so unfair!' nonsense...

This
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:
I imagine that the point is to show evidence that is relevant to assessing the type of power Canelo is bringing. There is a very heavy concentration of smaller and chinny opponents among his stoppage victims (much heavier than GGG's), and I don't see why it's unreasonable to consider that when it comes to discussing power.

You turn everything into 'double standards! so unfair!' nonsense
Ummm.... I think we all know that GGG hits harder than Canelo, I've never heard anybody suggest otherwise.

Again, what's the point of this thread???
It's a big fight and pretty much all their attributes are being discussed. Canelo's power and potential to stop GGG were recently brought up, and this thread is relevant to that because it gives perspective on the previous opposition he's stopped.

What is so wrong with that? You seem to have a problem with almost everything and it's very hard to have a good discussion with you.
Hillsinitialrebirth

It's a big fight and pretty much all their attributes are being discussed. Canelo's power and potential to stop GGG were recently brought up, and this thread is relevant to that because it gives perspective on the previous opposition he's stopped.

What is so wrong with that? You seem to have a problem with almost everything that isn't anti-GGG.....
Not really.

But you're definitely turning into one of the GGG enablers that have flooded this board in the past. Why post a thread about something, trying to shit on one guy...when the other guy has done it too, but that's not pointed out? The double standard is there, I'm not making it up.

So let's talk about which attribute is better:

KO'ing a bunch of stiffs and looking great against them...or having experience against FAR better fighters??? That's a real discussion.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

No one said that GGG hasn't fought smaller guys, but his stoppage record isn't built nearly as heavily on those types. Canelo has never stopped one career middleweight and his record is filled with stoppages over JMWs and WWs. It's perfectly reasonable to think that this led to power displays that will be much less likely against full blown middleweights who can take a solid shot. It's just one factor to consider among many, and power is just one attribute among many. I'm not denying that Canelo has fought a better level of opposition in general...

I think you love to feel like people are being unfair...
Last edited by Tocsin on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Give us a sigh man
Hillsinitialrebirth

No one said that GGG hasn't fought smaller guys, but his stoppage record isn't built nearly as heavily on those types. Canelo has never stopped one career middleweight and his record is filled with stoppages over JMWs and WWs. It's perfectly reasonable to think that this led to power displays that will be much less likely against full blown middleweights who can take a solid shot. It's just one factor to consider among many, and power is just one attribute among many.

Once again... GGG HITS HARDER THAN CANELO DOES!!!

And the Sun rises in the East, and water is wet...
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Are you thinking canelo cant keep ggg honest?
tainos
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion

Post by tainos »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:Are you thinking canelo cant keep ggg honest?

If he can he has a shot. If not its a wrap!
Yo naci en Puerto Rico. Pero me cree en Nueva York. Pero nunca me olvidare, de mi tierra Borinquena.
Team Platano Power - Carribean Connection
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

No one said that GGG hasn't fought smaller guys, but his stoppage record isn't built nearly as heavily on those types. Canelo has never stopped one career middleweight and his record is filled with stoppages over JMWs and WWs. It's perfectly reasonable to think that this led to power displays that will be much less likely against full blown middleweights who can take a solid shot. It's just one factor to consider among many, and power is just one attribute among many.

Once again... GGG HITS HARDER THAN CANELO DOES!!!

And the Sun rises in the East, and water is wet...
I agree that GGG hits harder and that's not really what has been debated. I don't think this was really a 'who has more pop'' thread as much as it was a thread giving some perspective on the opposition Canelo has stopped. How hard Canelo hits is relevant even if one already assumes that GGG is a harder puncher. You're predictably overreacting....

jeff...yes, I do think Canelo has the pop to keep GGG honest...at least out of 'free shot' mode
Hillsinitialrebirth

I agree that GGG hits harder. I don't think this was really a 'who has more pop'' thread as much as it was a thread giving some perspective on the opposition Canelo has stopped. How hard Canelo hits is relevant even if one already assumes that GGG is a harder puncher. You're predictably overreacting....

jeff...yes, I do think Canelo has the pop to keep GGG honest...at least out of 'free shot' mode
I'll sprinkle a little bit of common sense on this thread:

You said GGG has stopped top MWs, and Canelo hasn't. Okay....Canelo has only fought one fight at 160 or above, he's fought at 154 and Canelo-Weight(155) for most of his career. GGG has stopped bigger guys, because he's been fighting at a higher weight class, Canelo has stopped guys who are closer to his previous weight class.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

And that's one thing to consider...that Canelo is coming up after having faced people who aren't middleweights. How much of his power will carry up against fighters who aren't JMWs or WWs?
Hillsinitialrebirth

And that's one thing to consider...that Canelo is coming up after having faced people who aren't middleweights. How much of his power will carry up against fighters who aren't JMWs or WWs?
Logic tells me that his power definitely won't increase in his move up to MW. But I do think what he has in terms of power, is enough to keep GGG honest. And if he catches him right, enough to hurt/buzz/stun him. But I don't think power is going to be Canelo's game against GGG(at least it shouldn't be IMO), and I think he will focus the power shots he does throw, to the body.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I agree with all that
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Logic tells me that his power definitely won't increase in his move up to MW. But I do think what he has in terms of power, is enough to keep GGG honest. And if he catches him right, enough to hurt/buzz/stun him. But I don't think power is going to be Canelo's game against GGG(at least it shouldn't be IMO), and I think he will focus the power shots he does throw, to the body.
BOTH fighter are good body punchers with good chins. Canelo moves his head very well GGG not so well. My guess is that Golovkin, who is no dummy, might well be the fighter concentrating on body work in this fight.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”