Canelo's list of KO wins is filled w/small guys + glass jaws

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Slippery Pete II

Canelo's list of KO wins is filled w/small guys + glass jaws

Post by Slippery Pete II »

Everybody has been shitting on Golovkin's resume "he's fought nobody" they say.

Just out of curiosity, I looked at all of Canelo's KO/TKO wins. It's a list of nothing but small guys moving up well above their weight class, glass jawed ready made victims or just plain mediocre opposition.

Let's take a look:

Liam Smith
Amir Khan
James Kirkland
Alfredo Angulo
Josesito Lopez (a 140 lb'er)
Kermit Cintron
Alfonso Gomez
Ryan Rhodes
Carlos Baldomir
Jose Miguel Cotto (Canelo was down and hurt in this fight before coming back)

All the opponents Canelo fought before the above list is a who's who of cab drivers down in Mexico.

The decent guys he's fought he couldn't hurt. An old Mosley, an undersized Miguel Cotto, a walking dead Chavez Jr (who isn't even any good).

After looking at that list I can't believe I'm seeing some people pick Canelo by stoppage. How is he going to keep Golovkin honest in there? With what?
Last edited by Slippery Pete II on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Re: Canelo's list of KO wins is filled w/small guys + glass

Post by marciano1952 »

the way he Looked vs JR(the Combos and sheer number of landed punchs) has had a big swing in the perception of this fight.....Add to that Golovkin coming off the toughest fight of his career...
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

He also hit Angulo with every shot imaginable for 10 rounds and never seriously hurt him....it was a 'too many punches' stoppage

Doesnt mean he cant stop GGG, but I think points is more likely for a Canelo win. I agree that his stoppages are built on smaller and/notoriously chinny opponents, which is one reason Ive never been convinced of him being a major banger at MW.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

Canelo Feather Fisted Alvarez. Might be confused for Malignaggi in there.

Note: Canelo was never down against Cotto's brother. Stunned and that's as far as it went.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Definitely not feather-fisted
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Slippery Pete II wrote:Everybody has been shitting on Golovkin's resume "he's fought nobody" they say.

Just out of curiosity, I looked at all of Canelo's KO/TKO wins. It's a list of nothing but small guys moving up well above their weight class, glass jawed ready made victims or just plain mediocre opposition.

Let's take a look:

Liam Smith
Amir Khan
James Kirkland
Alfredo Angulo
Josesito Lopez (a 140 lb'er)
Kermit Cintron
Alfonso Gomez
Ryan Rhodes
Carlos Baldomir
Jose Miguel Cotto (Canelo was down and hurt in this fight before coming back)

All the opponents Canelo fought before the above list is a who's who of cab drivers down in Mexico.

The decent guys he's fought he couldn't hurt. An old Mosley, an undersized Miguel Cotto, a walking dead Chavez Jr (who isn't even any good).

After looking at that list I can't believe I'm seeing some people pick Canelo by stoppage. How is he going to keep Golovkin honest in there? With what?

Yeah like Miguel Vazquez who became world champ after his defeat and defended the belt multiple times... Lots of good names to stop on his resume prior to that... lots of solid tests and he not only passed them but stopped some of these good fighters.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:Note: Canelo was never down against Cotto's brother. Stunned and that's as far as it went.

Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Pretty hard to predict power or stamina for that matter, based on his performances fighting so young and after that so weight drained.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

the13r wrote:
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:Note: Canelo was never down against Cotto's brother. Stunned and that's as far as it went.

So when was he down?
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

He has more than enough power to hurt GGG, the skill, talent and ability to get past what GGG throws at him is what is in question
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:
the13r wrote:

So when was he down?

When the ropes held him up but i agree it wasn't an official KD
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

the13r wrote:
man i miss Steward and Merchant
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Yeah commentating sure you cornier with yrs... That's why i often prefer UK Broadcasts team.
Based

Post by Based »

Canelo isn't feather fisted, but he's more of a Andre Ward type of puncher than a Malignaggi type puncher. Most of his opponents were fighters from 147 and below who moved up to jr Middleweight or Caneloweight to fight him. The true 154 fighters KOed sucked or were shot (Smith, Rhodes, Angulo and Kirkland.) In his real fights at 154 vs Cotto, Lara and Trout, he didn't have any of them in any real trouble. These guys all took rounds from him. Canelo has never fought a real puncher. He's a good boxer and will look good vs a slower GGG, but GGG has some serious skills along with thumping power. As soon GGG hits him, Canelo will be on survival mode.
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Post by lurkyshaka »

marciano1952 wrote:the way he Looked vs JR(the Combos and sheer number of landed punchs) has had a big swing in the perception of this fight.....Add to that Golovkin coming off the toughest fight of his career...
Agreed....that's whats caused so many people to do an about turn.

But people only have to scratch the surface and ask themselves what Golovkin would have done to Chavez. And how Alvarez would have coped with Jacobs.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

not sure what this means, winning by KO isnt the only way to win... canelo has wins over world class opponents and a few hall of famers to boot. golovkins resume is mostly made up of cab drivers, hot dog vendors, and janitors with a few "ranked guys" in a crap division sprinkled in. if we're comparing resumes, canelos is SIGNIFICANTLY better than golovkins when put side by side, and that doesnt even account for the fact that hes 10 years younger... imagine canelos resume when he gets to be GGGs age? it will literally put GGGs to shame
Last edited by TopNotch86 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

the13r wrote:

That was awesome....I love how the announcers pointed out that they try to pair Canelo with easy opposition
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

gino7799 wrote:
the13r wrote:

That was awesome....I love how the announcers pointed out that they try to pair Canelo with easy opposition
He was 19. Lol
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

TopNotch86 wrote:not sure what this means, winning by KO isnt the only way to win... canelo has wins over world glass opponents and a few hall of famers to boot. golovkins resume is mostly made up of cab drivers, hot dog vendors, and janitors with a few "ranked guys" in a crap division sprinkled in. if we're comparing resumes, canelos is SIGNIFICANTLY better than golovkins when put side by side, and that doesnt even account for the fact that hes 10 years younger... imagine canelos resume when he gets to be GGGs age? it will literally put GGGs to shame

Have a resume of shot boxers that use to be somebody is not a good resume. Especially when you outweigh them on fight night by 10 to 15 pounds
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

Canelo wrecks 147 fighters and James Kirkland all day everyday.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

deadlything wrote:Canelo wrecks 147 fighters and James Kirkland all day everyday.
Like golovkin did with kell Brook? Only difference as Canelo was a jr mw. Golovkin pull a guy up not one but two weight classes. I love when people criticize Canelo for josesito Lopez when golovkin did the exact same thing with brook
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Lopez was already blown up at 147...his career high weight was 144 going into the Canelo fight. Brook had fought 12 times before as a JMW or higher (he had one or two as a MW) and is a big WW. He was way less flabby at MW than Lopez was at JMW...

Anyway, I don't think this was intended as a general opposition thread. It's pretty clear that since emerging on the world scene Canelo's stoppages have largely (not just one or two) come against smaller and/or notoriously chinny opposition. It's just one thing to consider when thinking about what his ability to hurt GGG will be.....
Last edited by Tocsin on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

TopNotch86 wrote:
deadlything wrote:Canelo wrecks 147 fighters and James Kirkland all day everyday.
Like golovkin did with kell Brook? Only difference as Canelo was a jr mw. Golovkin pull a guy up not one but two weight classes. I love when people criticize Canelo for josesito Lopez when golovkin did the exact same thing with brook

He had KO and KD guys his size. Cotto was able to handle Canelo's power.
tainos
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion

Post by tainos »

They both have done it but the difference is Canelo has taken advantage of the CW situation. That 155 thing was unnecessary.
Yo naci en Puerto Rico. Pero me cree en Nueva York. Pero nunca me olvidare, de mi tierra Borinquena.
Team Platano Power - Carribean Connection
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Canelo is a strong puncher. You can tell the way he bombs out lesser fighters and drops guys like trout. Its hard to ko top competition.

Hes not a one shot ko artist. Few are

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”