Give your thoughts on this......

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Give your thoughts on this......

Post by lurkyshaka »

Why McGregor who is known for KO power in the Octagon was shown to have poor power in the boxing ring.....Floyd who we know isn't a 'puncher' actually appeared to be the harder hitter and this all despite being clearly much smaller and lighter.

The one thing that McGregor should have been able to take in to a boxing match would be 'power' if of course the power is genuine. McGregor should have at least been hitting hard if nothing else last night, but there appeared little power there. Poor technique, lack of rotation, etc.

My opinion....McGregor is actually only a mediocre puncher, and the guys he's been chinning in the UFC are largely completely shit. I just don't think there is much depth in quality in the UFC at this point in time. Can be the only explanation how a 'KO puncher' in the UFC isn't even any kind of puncher in a boxing ring.
chef97

Re: Give your thoughts on this......

Post by chef97 »

lurkyshaka wrote:Why McGregor who is known for KO power in the Octagon was shown to have poor power in the boxing ring.....Floyd who we know isn't a 'puncher' actually appeared to be the harder hitter and this all despite being clearly much smaller and lighter.

The one thing that McGregor should have been able to take in to a boxing match would be 'power' if of course the power is genuine. McGregor should have at least been hitting hard if nothing else last night, but there appeared little power there. Poor technique, lack of rotation, etc.

My opinion....McGregor is actually only a mediocre puncher, and the guys he's been chinning in the UFC are largely completely shit. I just don't think there is much depth in quality in the UFC at this point in time. Can be the only explanation how a 'KO puncher' in the UFC isn't even any kind of puncher in a boxing ring.
This had me scratching my head as well as the video of Connor punishing RuPaulie in sparring especially w/ da straight left..... I thought Connor would be able to do some damage to FMJ should he land clean.... He did land clean but w/ less than zero power on his shots.... Why?
Chef
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

His technique in the ring was awful. Pushed arm punches with no snap to them...
Last edited by Tocsin on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theVAMP
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ

Post by theVAMP »

4oz gloves and also, Mayweather isn't a stationary target as most MMA guys lack head movement.

So even when he did land, its hardly flush vs MMA its mostly flush.

I'm sure he hits hard, just not wow hard.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

I felt he didn't put as much emphasis on his shots like he did in his MMA matches. It's one thing I noticed because it just seemed like he was throwing pitter patter punches.
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

His MMA shots also don't really have the snap and precision of boxing shots... he can throw wide and still land. Defensive technique in MMA is much different than defensive technique in boxing - but still, point taken about his actual power. This is why I thought that it would be hard for him to really hurt Floyd - Shane Mosley's shot is the only one of note that I can think of when I have watched Floyd fight, and the leverage and delivery of that punch were just ridiculously good. It's just not something that I thought Conor could possibly have in his arsenal with zero boxing matches.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

theVAMP wrote:4oz gloves and also, Mayweather isn't a stationary target as most MMA guys lack head movement.

So even when he did land, its hardly flush vs MMA its mostly flush.

I'm sure he hits hard, just not wow hard.
This
elterrible

Post by elterrible »

floyd's onslaught was more about connor running out of gas than power. I mean it's not like he dropped the guy.
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

He landed on Floyd more than once, one was a solid upper cut which did not even phase Floyd. Floyd was not worried at all and did not respect Connors power. Floyd never backed down once and went forward like a heavy hitter would. I have to agree the UFC does not have the Caliber of fighters that the boxing world does. I agree with your assumption. Conner did not look like a heavy hitter and he gassed out really fast. UFC is not on the same level in terms of quality as the boxing world.
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
theVAMP

Post by theVAMP »

That's not really fair to judge the quality of MMA fighters based on boxing abilities.

Some are world class in other areas. So are world class jiu jitsu fighters... Olympic caliber wrestlers.

Yes they aren't good at boxing, but they fight Mixed Martial Arts.
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

gino7799 wrote:He landed on Floyd more than once, one was a solid upper cut which did not even phase Floyd. Floyd was not worried at all and did not respect Connors power. Floyd never backed down once and went forward like a heavy hitter would. I have to agree the UFC does not have the Caliber of fighters that the boxing world does. I agree with your assumption. Conner did not look like a heavy hitter and he gassed out really fast. UFC is not on the same level in terms of quality as the boxing world.
I would only word that a bit differently. I don't think it's about quality of fighting, but the difference in fighting and technique. IMO, a 'great striker' in MMA won't automatically be a good boxer, any more than a great boxer will automatically be a 'great striker' in MMA.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

The footwork in Boxing is TOTALLY different... His feet were too close.. the balance wasn't there to shift weight on his shots... and he got exhausted so quit it amplified the shitty balance... took his legs... and he began whipping arm punches after the first tier... he is simply not a boxer

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”