Was the fight staged?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.

was the fight staged

Poll ended at Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:56 pm

yes
26%
no
74%

Total votes: 23

elterrible

Was the fight staged?

Post by elterrible »

I'm seeing mixed opinions here. Was this fight staged?
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Re: Was the fight staged?

Post by gilgamesh »

I don't know. Floyd wasn't fighting to the best of his ability, so maybe he was purposely fighting down to the level of his opponent early to make it interesting, but ultimately no I don't think it was staged. It was just Floyd's fight to play around with as he pleased.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

In what sense? Floyd carried a boxing novice and entertained the crowd until it was time to put the kiddies to bed. If that's staged, the fight was staged.
mekane
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion

Post by mekane »

No, McGregor's reach and Floyd losing his legs made it a difficult task for him. He had to come forward like against Judah.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Felt like it
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
elterrible

Post by elterrible »

mekane wrote:No, McGregor's reach and Floyd losing his legs made it a difficult task for him. He had to come forward like against Judah.
that's exactly what I saw. floyd clearly had a plan to wait until connor was gassed. that doesnt change the fact that connor landed more punches than pac and berto. was the uppercut connor landed early staged? or the body shot in the 9th? I thought both men did what they had to do and I enjoyed the fight.my only issues with the whole event were the terrible scorecards rounds 1-3; and the analysts on this board who predicted a whitewash and refuse to eat crow and give conner credit. even die hard floyd fans like vamp are being humble in victory.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

I voted no but, I've been wrong before.... :)
Chef
NoPropaganda 253

elterrible wrote:
mekane wrote:No, McGregor's reach and Floyd losing his legs made it a difficult task for him. He had to come forward like against Judah.
that's exactly what I saw. floyd clearly had a plan to wait until connor was gassed. that doesnt change the fact that connor landed more punches than pac and berto. was the uppercut connor landed early staged? or the body shot in the 9th? I thought both men did what they had to do and I enjoyed the fight.my only issues with the whole event were the terrible scorecards rounds 1-3; and the analysts on this board who predicted a whitewash and refuse to eat crow and give conner credit. even die hard floyd fans like vamp are being humble in victory.
He landed because Floyd didn't fight defensively, came forward the entire fight and wasn't concerned with any power coming back. Respect, but it wasn't what McGregor did in any way, shape or form. Chalk it up to a need to entertain for those that bought the con.

You really think McGregor fought better fights than Manny or Berto you're seeing what you want to see.
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

Depends. Floyd was carrying him.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
He landed because Floyd didn't fight defensively, came forward the entire fight and wasn't concerned with any power coming back. Respect, but it wasn't what McGregor did in any way, shape or form. Chalk it up to a need to entertain for those that bought the con.

You really think McGregor fought better fights than Manny or Berto you're seeing what you want to see.
He won more rounds than Berto, but Floyd wasn't giving Berto free rounds. He was doing that for Conor.
gino7799

Post by gino7799 »

Who cares the circus is over, onto Canelo and Gannady
On fight night Canelo weighed 177 pound and GGG weighed 168.2. But Canelo says the fight for his 160 pound belt must be at 155 pounds. She should just give her belt to GGG now and move on.
NoPropaganda 253

gilgamesh wrote:
NoPropaganda 253 wrote:

He won more rounds than Berto, but Floyd wasn't giving Berto free rounds. He was doing that for Conor.
Yes sir. That's the point.
theVAMP
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ

Post by theVAMP »

i hate punch stats.
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Post by lurkyshaka »

It wasn't staged as in it followed a rehearsed plan.....but it was staged in so much as a vastly superior boxer allowed the opponent to do some things when he could have given him nothing at all. You see it all the time in sparring.
elterrible

Post by elterrible »

lurkyshaka wrote:It wasn't staged as in it followed a rehearsed plan.....but it was staged in so much as a vastly superior boxer allowed the opponent to do some things when he could have given him nothing at all. You see it all the time in sparring.

lurk, two questions for you. do you think floyd looked like his age has caught up with him? do you feel like connor's reach and angles he gave floyd had anything to do with his early success?
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Staged? No.

But Floyd played his part perfectly and is good enough to allow Conor ensure that the fight looked more competitive than I think that it was.\

Much better fighters have won far fewer rounds against FMJ.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

No but it was well directed and orchestrated by Mayweather who was imo in full control... giving the fans a ride
DBO
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges

Post by DBO »

Looked like it to me.
DBO

Post by DBO »

the13r wrote:No but it was well directed and orchestrated by Mayweather who was imo in full control... giving the fans a ride
Isn't that the very definition of staged?
wimpy

Post by wimpy »

There's no mystery here. Floyd said what his plan was and we saw that he followed it.
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

DBO wrote:
the13r wrote:No but it was well directed and orchestrated by Mayweather who was imo in full control... giving the fans a ride
Isn't that the very definition of staged?
Well for me staged would mean the winner was selected pre fight and the details of the fight agreed on

This wasn't the case
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

No. It was not staged. But it is easy to start having these thoughts given the novelty of the whole thing. A guy makes his pro-deb against a first ballot hall of famer? C'mon!

It looked like a weird fight because Floyd's strategy involved having him (Floyd) not exert himself a whole lot in the early rounds. As we saw, Conor landed almost nothing effective round after round. Conor got tired, and Floyed started landing and landing and landing.

It also looks staged because the result was kind of perfect for all partied. McGregor looked valiant going out on his feet. Floyd was gracious after it ended, and fans got a decent show.
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

I don't think it was staged as in "fixed", but it was an odd fight. It seemed like Floyd was holding back on his big punches as he could have carved up Conor anytime he wanted. I don't think Floyd landed a single power left hook, just straight rights. He wanted to make it more "competitive" than it should have Been IMO
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

What Astor said. Mayweather didn't start fighting till round 4.
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

As I said, the whole thing was set up to make money. It was designed as a spectacle.

But the fight was real.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”