"Most Overrated fighter of all times."

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
wimpy

Re: "Most Overrated fighter of all times."

Post by wimpy »

Tyson. I had to do it.
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

For a while tyson would be up there but now he seems to be rated properly
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:
Personally, I think Aaron Pryor gets overrated by many.
Pryor at his best was a monster, and he was/is one of my favorite fighters.

But I do think there are some aspects of him being overrated and over-hyped, when people bring up him beating SRL. SRL would have taken him to school....
To the morgue, not school
wimpy

Post by wimpy »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:For a while tyson would be up there but now he seems to be rated properly
Where do you rank him?
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin
babak

Post by babak »

sven ottke
If we fight for money, I’ll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I’ll stop hitting you when I feel like it.” - rickson gracie
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote:
He does definitely get quite overrated. It really irks me to hear him referred to frequently as the Greatest Mexican Fighter whenever there are at least 5 or so in my mind that are better.
My Mexican friends used to be really mad at me when I used to say JMM, would beat JCC Sr....
I'd agree with you on that
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

If we rank tyson against other fighters based on career accomplishments, records against the best in their era, etc he probably falls in the 11 to 20 range somewhere. If you are ranking based on a mythical round robin tournament he probably falls in the same range with a great punchers chance against everyone.
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

babak wrote:sven ottke
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!
Burley

Post by Burley »

I'm going with Tyson.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

Roy Jones
Rocky Marciano
Manny Pacquiao

Don't get me wrong, all very good fighters, but overrated, IMO.

Jones = Read Primetyme's sig
Marciano = Best win was 175 y/o Joe Louis
Pacquiao = Too many *s next to his most impressive Ws
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Morales
Mab
Marquez
De la hoya
Hatton
Cotto
Mosley

All hof he beat

Bradley might get in someday and he has 2 wins over him

Won titles in 8 divisions.

And you say overrated? Come on
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:59 am Zab Judah. Every time hed fight an elite fighter a solid portion of the board would pick him for some reason.

James Toney is massively overrated. Great skills but he lost fights an elite fighter should never lose and his resurgence was all thanks to PED usage.

Ive watched almost all toneys fights up to sam peter 2 during the lockdown. I was wrong

He had some underwhelming performances but his early career was excellent. Plus he got screwed on the cards against peter, griffin and i thought he beat rahman too. Ped usage for sure but if holyfield gets a pass from everyone james can have one too
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Hillsinitialrebirth wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:24 am This is easy....Shame Mosley.
Watched a lot of him too recently and i agree. Winky dominated him. Dlh beat him in the rematch. 2 losses to forrest and those were all in his prime. Short against cotto....
USMILMAN
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion

Post by USMILMAN »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:01 am
jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:59 am Zab Judah. Every time hed fight an elite fighter a solid portion of the board would pick him for some reason.

James Toney is massively overrated. Great skills but he lost fights an elite fighter should never lose and his resurgence was all thanks to PED usage.

Ive watched almost all toneys fights up to sam peter 2 during the lockdown. I was wrong

He had some underwhelming performances but his early career was excellent. Plus he got screwed on the cards against peter, griffin and i thought he beat rahman too. Ped usage for sure but if holyfield gets a pass from everyone james can have one too
Agree Jeff. For the life of me I wished he would have been focused 100 percent of the time because just pure god given ability and boxing brain, he is way up there. He falls in the what if category for me, sadly. One of my favorites to watch.
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Can Prince Nas get any?

Focused Zab is a mythical creature who only seemed to appear in the build-up to his fights... he never showed up in the ring.

Audley Harrison

Left Hook Lacy (sorry, jeff_lacy_ko)

Throwback... Mark Breland
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
kewlmodee

Post by kewlmodee »

I don't know about for all time, but until Jo Jo Diaz beat him, Tevin Farmer was the most overrated fighter in boxing. I got so sick of hearing the DAZN guys talking about how Farmer is one of the best boxers out there, when he wasn't even in the top 3 of his division (in my humble opinion).
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Edwin Valero and Ike Ibeabuchi are both held in very high regard only because they crashed and burned in life before having a chance to crash and burn in the ring.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Cagiva9 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:50 pm Edwin Valero and Ike Ibeabuchi are both held in very high regard only because they crashed and burned in life before having a chance to crash and burn in the ring.
Yep. I frequently have to hear how either of them would do in mythical matchups against great fighters. I pick them both to lose in basically 100% of these situations.

They didn't even prove they could handle the best in their own time. Why would I give them credit that they could've potentially beaten greats?
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

DBO wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:00 pm Personally, I think Aaron Pryor gets overrated by many.
He does by some. Most people rate him about right, but every now and again you'll get a fan claiming "Leonard ducked him" or "Duran ducked him" and he would've whipped those guys asses, and stuff like that.

No they didn't, and no he wouldn't have.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Just a guy wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:31 pm Can Prince Nas get any?

Focused Zab is a mythical creature who only seemed to appear in the build-up to his fights... he never showed up in the ring.

Audley Harrison

Left Hook Lacy (sorry, jeff_lacy_ko)

Throwback... Mark Breland
I think lacy is properly rated now... after the reid fight he was waaaay overrated
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Hell if anything Lacy probably gets underrated to a degree now. All anybody remembers him for is the Calzaghe beatdown which essentially ruined him.

I mean obviously he's nowhere near an all time great or even a great in his own time, but he's almost looked at now as a guy that was just completely overhyped, and turned out to be nothing, and I'm not sure that's fair either.

He's kinda like a Gerry Cooney type in that his rise was memorable, but when it was over boy was it over.
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Ah, so you guys are interested not in who was more overrated at the time, and in their day... but rather who is still over-rated.

Gotcha.

That is a bit different, because I don't know that any of the guys that I mentioned are regarded that highly at this point.

In that case, I will go with GGG (because I really do think that his aura is gone, and his time has passed) and one that I may eat my words on... Bivol.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
mekane
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion

Post by mekane »

the13r wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:54 pm Fury might end up in the conversation... because he beat Wlad... and is after all pretty bad... He is entertaining as hell though i'll give him that.. but imo he is BAD and people were putting way too much on what he did vs what Wlad didn't
I really like this one, even if I strongly disagree. I think Fury beats any version of Wlad. Not sold on how good he is against smaller fighters though, he himself has said he looks better against taller boxers, which fortunately for him are who the top guys in the division are. He really hasn't fought that many good boxers though, so I think there's still some question marks around Fury, so that's why I like this pick, especially if Fury retires in a fight or two like he says.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

What he had shown so far up to the Wlad fight was't impressing... getting beaten by a fat short CW with only a short jab... Getting dropped by bad fighters like Pajkic and other C+ level HW... Punching himself in the face in a fight... Showing an extremely low output vs Wlad... He was overrated following that Wlad win imo.

But he proved he improved mainly due to the confidence the Wlad win gave him... He had a perfect gameplan vs Wlad, executed it and it made him a diff fighter imo... again due to newly found confidence, solifying his aspirations in boxing. I think the Fury that fought Wilder is still very vulnerable but his style exploits the era of the BIG guys who have gaps in the game.

Usyk will make him look like shit
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

mekane wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:40 pm
the13r wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:54 pm Fury might end up in the conversation... because he beat Wlad... and is after all pretty bad... He is entertaining as hell though i'll give him that.. but imo he is BAD and people were putting way too much on what he did vs what Wlad didn't
I really like this one, even if I strongly disagree. I think Fury beats any version of Wlad. Not sold on how good he is against smaller fighters though, he himself has said he looks better against taller boxers, which fortunately for him are who the top guys in the division are. He really hasn't fought that many good boxers though, so I think there's still some question marks around Fury, so that's why I like this pick, especially if Fury retires in a fight or two like he says.
I like Fury a lot too, but I agree.

As recent as 3 years ago, I had suspicions that he was a bum. He’s proved me wrong about that, but if he retires after beating Wilder again, then Joshua who I suspect has bum genes in him, he (Fury) runs the risk of getting very overrated.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”