Watching the Watchers: Keeping tabs on Officials

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Tommy

Re: Watching the Watchers: Keeping tabs on Officials

Post by Tommy »

Cortez's performance in the Mayweather Ortiz fight was like something out of the WWE.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Referee Marlon Wright acted like your typical hometown ref in the Librado Andrade - Lucian Bute fight.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

mannymac wrote:Referee Marlon Wright acted like your typical hometown ref in the Librado Andrade - Lucian Bute fight.
That's true he had an effect on the outcome but man thanks for reminding me of that great fight.... Both Lucian & Librado had their way at times during the fight to the finish w/ a little help from the ref.... On the edge of your seat screaming at the TV those final few rounds..... :)
Chef
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Wright did a hometown ref job there, but him stopping the count didn't affect the outcome IMO. Bute was up within 10 seconds and there were just 3 seconds left in the fight when he got dropped, meaning that Andrade wouldn't have had time to finish him anyway.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

Tocsin wrote:Wright did a hometown ref job there, but him stopping the count didn't affect the outcome IMO. Bute was up within 10 seconds and there were just 3 seconds left in the fight when he got dropped, meaning that Andrade wouldn't have had time to finish him anyway.

He wasn't up in 10 lol maybe 15
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I'm not sure why there are so many misconceptions about that fight. Facts are that Bute went down with about 3 seconds left and was on his feet within 10 seconds, regardless of Wright's count; he was up and Andrade had no time to finish him anyway.

Go to YouTube and started counting from the time that Bute is down---no way is that 15 seconds if you're counting at a normal pace.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

There's one referee I haven't seen and it's a good thing. He's tall and skinny with a Tom Selleck mustache. Forget his name and the names of the fighters, but one fighter got knocked down and on his way to counting; when he reached 8 or 9 he tells the guy "Come on son." instead of counting and when he told dude to walk towards him he stumbled. Most refs would have stopped the fight on the stumble alone. After that fight I never seen him again.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Tocsin wrote:I'm not sure why there are so many misconceptions about that fight. Facts are that Bute went down with about 3 seconds left and was on his feet within 10 seconds, regardless of Wright's count; he was up and Andrade had no time to finish him anyway.

Go to YouTube and started counting from the time that Bute is down---no way is that 15 seconds if you're counting at a normal pace.
Haven't watched that fight in years but I do remember Marlon Wright pausing the count in order to give Andrade a silly warning about staying in the neutral corner in a desperate and obvious attempt to give Bute more time to recover.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

Tocsin wrote:I'm not sure why there are so many misconceptions about that fight. Facts are that Bute went down with about 3 seconds left and was on his feet within 10 seconds, regardless of Wright's count; he was up and Andrade had no time to finish him anyway.

Haven't watched that fight in years but I do remember Marlon Wright pausing the count in order to give Andrade a silly warning about staying in the neutral corner in a desperate and obvious attempt to give Bute more time to recover.
mannymac

Post by mannymac »

chef97 wrote:
mannymac wrote:Referee Marlon Wright acted like your typical hometown ref in the Librado Andrade - Lucian Bute fight.
That's true he had an effect on the outcome but man thanks for reminding me of that great fight.... Both Lucian & Librado had their way at times during the fight to the finish w/ a little help from the ref.... On the edge of your seat screaming at the TV those final few rounds..... :)
Yeah great fight.
The ending sucked. I think I made up some new cuss words that night.
I'm Mexican, so I was rooting for Andrade lol
chef97

Post by chef97 »

mannymac wrote:
chef97 wrote:
Yeah great fight.
The ending sucked. I think I made up some new cuss words that night.
I'm Mexican, so I was rooting for Andrade lol
You can be proud of Librado too brother because he fought w/ all his might and heart that night.....
Chef
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

mannymac wrote:

He did pause the count, and he was being a total hometown ref, but Bute got up within 10 seconds regardless of what Wright did. There was also no time left in the bout (Bute went down with three seconds left), so Andrade couldn't have followed up.

No doubt it was laughable officiating, but I don't agree with the view that Andrade was robbed of a win.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

Tocsin wrote:
mannymac wrote:

He did pause the count, and he was being a total hometown ref, but Bute got up within 10 seconds regardless of what Wright did. There was also no time left in the bout (Bute went down with three seconds left), so Andrade couldn't have followed up.

No doubt it was laughable officiating, but I don't agree with the view that Andrade was robbed of a win.

Showtime had it a 24 sec count http://www.thesweetscience.com/articles ... cond-count

Here it is live

Your call
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Youre missing the point....Wright took way too long to count, but it didnt matter because Bute was up within 10 seconds (well before Wright finished) and there wouldve been no chance for Andrade to finish him anyway (Bute went down with just 3 seconds left).
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Either way the ref was pathetic. Bute was down at :59 of that video and up, wobbling while leaning on ropes at 1:09 at soonest. Shit bird ref wasn't even facing Bute to determine if he was up by 10, as his main priority seemed to be admonishing Andrade excessively about staying in the opposite corner even though, with the fight over, his sole job was to determine if Bute could beat the count successfully. Took a full 20 seconds to get back to Bute and assess.

Bizzaro world Taylor/Chavez.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

From the Ike Quartey vs Vernon Forrest fight (which I just added to the Controversial Fights section along with my score)

96-93 Forrest (Judge: Tony Paolillo)
95-94 Forrest (Judge: Melvina Lathan)
95-94 Forrest (Judge: Steve Weisfeld)
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

From the Montell Griffin vs Rico Hoye fight (also recently added to the Controversial fights section)

116-112 Hoye (Judge: Dale Grable)
116-112 Hoye (Judge: Bill Paige)
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Ok so after 3 pages our Watch List on Bad Officials looks something like this. I'll put the names of all the officials that have been named so far, and a number next to the name to indicate how many times they've been cited by a poster. I kinda lost track with Marlon Wright there, but he got a lot of complaints about the Andrade vs Bute fight.

Referees
Larry Doggett
Laurence Cole (2)
Jay Nady (2)
Vic Drakulich
Mickey Vann
Joe Cortez (2)
Marlon Wright

Judges
Robert Hoyle (6)
Glenn Feldman
Dave Moretti
Ric Bays
Richard Green
Valerie Dorsett
Gale Van Hoy (2)
CJ Ross (2)
Duane Ford
Jack Woodruff
Mickey Vann (The only official to be nominated to the Watch List as both a bad judge and a bad referee)
Franz Marti
Eugenia Williams
Larry O'Connell
Jerry Roth (3)
Bob Logist
Glen Hamada
Keith MacDonald
Chuck Giampa
Michael Pernick
Peter Trematerra
John Wright
Beat Hausamann
Oren Shellenberger
Dennis Nelson
Tony Paolillo
Melvina Lathan
Steve Weisfeld
Dale Grable
Bill Paige

So thus far Robert Hoyle sits atop the shit list with more examples of his incompetence or corruption being given than of any other official.
Mickey Vann has the dubious honor of being the only official who has stunk it up as both a Referee and a Judge.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

gilgamesh wrote:Ok so after 3 pages our Watch List on Bad Officials looks something like this. I'll put the names of all the officials that have been named so far, and a number next to the name to indicate how many times they've been cited by a poster. I kinda lost track with Marlon Wright there, but he got a lot of complaints about the Andrade vs Bute fight.

Referees
Larry Doggett
Laurence Cole (2)
Jay Nady (2)
Vic Drakulich
Mickey Vann
Joe Cortez (2)
Marlon Wright

Judges
Robert Hoyle (6)
Glenn Feldman
Dave Moretti
Ric Bays
Richard Green
Valerie Dorsett
Gale Van Hoy (2)
CJ Ross (2)
Duane Ford
Jack Woodruff
Mickey Vann (The only official to be nominated to the Watch List as both a bad judge and a bad referee)
Franz Marti
Eugenia Williams
Larry O'Connell
Jerry Roth (3)
Bob Logist
Glen Hamada
Keith MacDonald
Chuck Giampa
Michael Pernick
Peter Trematerra
John Wright
Beat Hausamann
Oren Shellenberger
Dennis Nelson
Tony Paolillo
Melvina Lathan
Steve Weisfeld
Dale Grable
Bill Paige

So thus far Robert Hoyle sits atop the shit list with more examples of his incompetence or corruption being given than of any other official.
Mickey Vann has the dubious honor of being the only official who has stunk it up as both a Referee and a Judge.

Love it!

Great Work
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Bravo Gil! 8)
soonermark890

Post by soonermark890 »

Want to add Kermit Bayless to that list? He had Cuellar winning over Mares tonight
FUCK LAWRENCE COLE
FUCK VIC DRAKULICH
FUCK KENNY BAYLESS
FUCK DANA WHITE
FUCK BOTH CHARLO'S
FUCK TEXAS!!!!!!!!
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

soonermark890 wrote:Want to add Kermit Bayless to that list? He had Cuellar winning over Mares tonight
I had Cuellar over Mares
soonermark890

Post by soonermark890 »

gilgamesh wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:Want to add Kermit Bayless to that list? He had Cuellar winning over Mares tonight
I had Cuellar over Mares
Really? Let's add Gil to the list also...

Just kidding. I need to watch it again then. Too many fights going on at the same time.
FUCK LAWRENCE COLE
FUCK VIC DRAKULICH
FUCK KENNY BAYLESS
FUCK DANA WHITE
FUCK BOTH CHARLO'S
FUCK TEXAS!!!!!!!!
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

soonermark890 wrote:
gilgamesh wrote:
I had Cuellar over Mares
Really? Let's add Gil to the list also...

Just kidding. I need to watch it again then. Too many fights going on at the same time.
Yeah I'd like to watch Cuellar vs Mares again myself. It was a very close fight that wasn't all that easy to score.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

gilgamesh wrote:
Yeah I'd like to watch Cuellar vs Mares again myself. It was a very close fight that wasn't all that easy to score.
Rounds were closer in Ward/Kov.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”