Can a fighter ever gain full respect again after quitting?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Can a fighter ever gain full respect again after quitting?

Post by Primetyme199 »

Can a fighter ever gain full respect again after quitting in a fight?
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
chef97

Re: Can a fighter ever gain full respect again after quittin

Post by chef97 »

Si, Manos de piedra Hands of stone Roberto Duran....
Chef
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

chef97 wrote:Si, Manos de piedra Hands of stone Roberto Duran....

A lot of people never forgave him for quitting.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Primetyme199 wrote:

A lot of people never forgave him for quitting.
I have to agree but Duran did gain a portion of the Middleweight title after he quit vs. SRL so, I thought maybe his countrymen forgave him a little....
Chef
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Did you see the Hands Of Stone movie? If you haven't check it out, I enjoyed it.

BigPhank211

Post by BigPhank211 »

The bigger question is can he regain confidence in his abilities. Getting totally outclassed is worse on the psyche than getting KTFO.
Two tears in a bucket, I wish ni@@as a pail.
A celebration b!tches, I wish ni@@as Chappelle.
They never caught wind, yet thought that they could sail,
against my Sea World flow. I wish you ni@@as whale!
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Phank has a point.. look at Pavlik after lising to Hopkins
kinggrissly

Post by kinggrissly »

Enough great fighters have done it. Willie Pep stayed on his stool in one of those Saddler fights, nobody talks about it. He had over 200 fights though. For other guys like Duran and Liston it becomes part of the legend, something that will always be argued and theorized over. You could add Ken Buchanan with the Duran controversy. You have to be known for something else. In this era where a guy gets one chance a year on a major network, you just dont have the luxury.
NOT MY PRESIDENT
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Morales quit against pacman

However he was taking a beating. Ive never seen someone quit like walters.
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

BigPhank211 wrote:The bigger question is can he regain confidence in his abilities. Getting totally outclassed is worse on the psyche than getting KTFO.

What this guy said. Walters is shattered mentally.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

There's a difference between being a washed up, coked out drunk, taking an ass kicking and quitting at the tail end of your career, as opposed to being a young, undefeated, in-your-prime fighter, who's considered one of the best and only being outpointed.

Walters willingly gave up his undefeated record without much resistance. He showed very little urgency at the first sign of adversity, and was more than content to concede the fight to Loma. Those type of guys have quitting in their DNA.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:There's a difference between being a washed up, coked out drunk, taking an ass kicking and quitting at the tail end of your career, as opposed to being a young, undefeated, in-your-prime fighter, who's considered one of the best and only being outpointed.

Walters willingly gave up his undefeated record without much resistance. He showed very little urgency at the first sign of adversity, and was more than content to concede the fight to Loma. Those type of guys have quitting in their DNA.

King nails it.
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:There's a difference between being a washed up, coked out drunk, taking an ass kicking and quitting at the tail end of your career, as opposed to being a young, undefeated, in-your-prime fighter, who's considered one of the best and only being outpointed.

King nails it.
ceelowsback

Post by ceelowsback »

Yes...he has to beast out now. The only way.
TEAM PLATANO POWER - CARIBBEAN CONNECTION
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

Depends on the fighter.

Duran, Chavez Sr.

But as King said, a young undefeated fighter? Yeah, we may have seen the last of Walters. I actually thought this fight was going to be something we can look back on and say "that was a fight!". I am let down immensely.
chuck9788

Post by chuck9788 »

How about Hector Camacho Jr?

He quit vs Jesse James Leija in 2001. He asked to stop the fight while on the stool because of a small cut. The fight was eventually ruled a "No Contest".

I don't think Camacho Jr ever earned respect after that event, even though he went on to fight 32 more times in his career.
DBO
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges

Post by DBO »

End of discussion. Duran is universally recognized as an ATG. A high end one at that. Vitali Klitschko also quit against Byrd.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Primetyme199 wrote:Did you see the Hands Of Stone movie? If you haven't check it out, I enjoyed it.
Not yet, bro.... But I have a free ppv movie coupon from DTV so, if I get my way I'll watch it soon.... Knowing the wife she'll want to watch a chick flick though.... :)

Thanks!
Chef
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

DBO wrote:
Vitali Klitschko also quit against Byrd.
I don't think retiring for injury counts, unless for whatever reason you don't believe he had a serious shoulder injury.
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

I think that it depends on how the fighter quits.

It is one thing to stop becasue of injury or because one has taken quite the beating. It is another to give up and just stop fighting because the other guy in front of the quitter is better, but not landing significant blows.

It is one thing when a guy is a boxer with not a lot of power, but a completely different thing when a guy is a banger, but really hasn't taken risks to land his big shots.

It is one thing when a guy cuts off the ring and bangs at anything that moves, whether a scoring blow or not - but another when a guy seems to go into a shell and throw only safe punches.

It is one thing when a guy has knocked out top guys and our expectations are high... and another when we expect nothing.

I can forgive an up and comer who sees no way out... it's harder to forgive a champion or former champion who has the power to change a fight with one punch.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
kewlmodee

Post by kewlmodee »

Israel Vasquez quit in the first fight vs Marquez, but like Vitali because of injury. He certainly gained full respect in fights 2 and 3.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

kewlmodee wrote:Israel Vasquez quit in the first fight vs Marquez, but like Vitali because of injury. He certainly gained full respect in fights 2 and 3
He's one of my all time fav fighters and he signed a boxing glove for my son Anthony who's 24 now getting married in March 2017.......
Chef
wimpy

Post by wimpy »

As we gain knowledge of the dangers inherent with contact/combat sports it becomes more understandable. It's actually a calculated decision. It's either back to the drawing board or ruined for life.
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

It's usually the corner that makes those "preserve the meal ticket" kind of choices though, Wimpy. If a fighter is doing this kind of calculations, it tells me his mind isn't 100% in the fight.

In fact, it tells me he's not 100% committed to being a fighter...and that's a huge red flag.
wimpy

Post by wimpy »

J.J.Dillon wrote:It's usually the corner that makes those "preserve the meal ticket" kind of choices though, Wimpy. If a fighter is doing this kind of calculations, it tells me his mind isn't 100% in the fight.

In fact, it tells me he's not 100% committed to being a fighter...and that's a huge red flag.
Sometimes corners fail to make that decision. Forgive me if my recent viewing of WestWorld has clouded my judgement.... :lol: ....but fighters are like androids. I think they are capable and typically calculating the entire fight. A corner can tell their fighter all kinds of advice but untimely it's the fighter who determines what they do in the ring. We hear them evaluate most every fight and will even tell us what they are thinking during each combo shown on replay. Walters was simply outclassed. It was clear to us but even more so to Walters. He was the one who actually experienced it in the ring.
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”