Should Walters be paid in full?

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Cagiva9

Re: Should Walters be paid in full?

Post by Cagiva9 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
Cagiva9 wrote:
NoPropaganda 253 wrote:What would you have done to Walters, George? Stupid fucking thread. Of course he gets paid.
Is everything going to be personal now? Seriously man, get a grip.
You ruined my record, man!!!

Stop your crying, slap your own face, get yourself together and don't throw the Poor Georgie Towel in just yet. What would you have done to Walters, George? You actually had the gall to type "breach of contract" and I'd actually like to hear the reasoning behind that line of thought. Fire away, George

So where would you draw the line then? Surely there is some level of effort required, or is just showing up good enough? Not saying that Walters didn't make ANY effort at all or that he isn't due some compensation for his limited effort but it was clearly a limited effort. At the time of the (self-) stoppage there was absolutely no reason or even any feigned reason not to continue. If finding out your chances of victory are slim to none was just cause for a quit, some fighters would (and should) be packing up after the first round.

That's all man.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Where would you, George, draw the line? That's the question and flaw in this thread. What would you have done to Walters, George? Take half his purse? A 3rd? There is no way to prove one thing you stated as reasoning for Walters "breaching" his contract, hence the comment that caused the emotions.

THAT is all. Should've done it yourself, George. Your thread, your responsibility. :)
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:Where would you, George, draw the line? That's the question and flaw in this thread. What would you have done to Walters, George? Take half his purse? A 3rd? There is no way to prove one thing you stated as reasoning for Walters "breaching" his contract, hence the comment that caused the emotions.

THAT is all. Should've done it yourself, George. Your thread, your responsibility. :)
You got emotional because you have breech issues. Too much information man.

What's next, name the gym??
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Cagiva9 wrote:
NoPropaganda 253 wrote:Where would you, George, draw the line? That's the question and flaw in this thread. What would you have done to Walters, George? Take half his purse? A 3rd? There is no way to prove one thing you stated as reasoning for Walters "breaching" his contract, hence the comment that caused the emotions.

You got emotional because you have breech issues. Too much information man.

What's next, name the gym??
Breech issues...is that an attempt at wordplay, George? Lol.

It's ok to be wrong, George. Surely, a man of your age should know as much. After all that you have overcome in life I believe you have the ability to further evolve from what you were in the late 80's to what your are now to one day become a logical, reasonable, semi-intelligent man who still finds graphs entirely too fascinating...never mind.

The point is, you're name is George. And you like graphs. Waaaaaaaay too much. :)
ceelowsback

Post by ceelowsback »

yea he should.
TEAM PLATANO POWER - CARIBBEAN CONNECTION
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

NAME THE GYM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

http://www.abcboxing.com/boxer-and-bout ... contracts/

(sample contract)
Boxer or Manager may not be entitled to the compensation described above or any part thereof if an official of the Commission decides that Boxer and Manager, or either of them: 1) Did not enter into the contract in good faith or had any collusive understanding or agreement regarding the termination of the match, 2) Boxer did not give a good faith exhibition of his/her skills, 3) Boxer and/or Manager has violated any of the laws, rules or regulations administered by the Commission.

If Promoter or Boxer breaches this contract, the non-breaching party shall have all remedies available at law or in equity

Sports Law 101-

breach
the breaking of a promise, duty, or obligation by a party to the contract

"best efforts" clause
provision in the contract in which player or coach must objectively act diligently in the performance of the agreement.

I didn't realize this thread was going to offend anyone's tender sensibilities, sorry. However I do not think it's "fucking stupid" by any means to consider the possible legal ramifications of a voluntary, unforced early retirement from a fight.

that is all...I hope
:roll:
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

Nicholas Walters' Surrender Elicits Same Old Song and Dance

By Lyle Fitzsimmons

Some things remain predictable.

The sun rises in the east, it sets in the west and the New York Jets are irrelevant by December.

Oh, and one other thing… if a fighter bows out of a match with something less than a flat-lining EKG, the jackals on press row and beyond will pounce faster than fat men on free donuts.

This weekend’s target: Nicholas Walters.

In way over his head Saturday night against consensus pound-for-pounder Vasyl Lomachenko, the previously unbeaten Jamaican stood from his stool, summoned referee Tony Weeks and informed him that he had zero interest in renewing hostilities with the Ukrainian for Round 8.

He’d not been cut, badly hurt or knocked down. Rather, he said, he simply knew he couldn’t beat the guy… and no longer felt the need to get beaten up while proving it.

Of course, no sooner had the words left his mouth that the sluicegates swung open, the clichéd characterizations began and the keyboarding tough guys in poster-laden basement “apartments” across the globe began puffing their chests in bathroom mirrors.

“Quitter!” screamed one. “Coward!” blared another.

“He committed the Cardinal Sin!” insisted three or four more.

It's a reason I hate the sport that I love.

While tapping out supposedly manly manifestos, myriad clowns criticize athletes in competitive circumstances that their own raisin-sized weaponry would never ponder, let alone actually pursue.

And when one of those athletes has the audacity to choose long-term health over short-term glory, the mini-testosterone factories get to pumping on overdrive.

Forget athletic intent. I'd wager that most of them wouldn't go outside in a heavy rain, or walk upstairs to a free buffet.

But it won't stop their grenade lobbing.

They'll bring up Muhammad Ali's enduring against Ken Norton with a broken jaw, or erect another wordy statue to a more recent hero – Arturo Gatti – and wax poetic on how no one short of a sissy-boy would have ever considered abandoning a fight short of a traumatic brain injury.

As if permanent disfigurement was somehow a badge of honor.

Here's a tip, macho men... it's not.

Had any of the punch-addled ex-fighters whose tragic stories you read these days had it to do over again, it's my wager that the majority would look back and admit they'd have rather taken one or two fewer combinations in exchange for the ability to still tie their shoes without assistance.

Ali might have remained the ambassador he was destined to be before his death, and Gatti might have avoided the post-ring freefall that resulted in a mysterious demise that'll be debated for decades.

They can't change their histories, but Walters can still chart his.

In the 1,450 days before Saturday, he won five title fights, knocked out two former multiple-division champions – including a one-time Boxing Writers Association of America fighter of the year – and was impressive enough in a leap to a new weight class to warrant a shot at another high-end fighter whom more than a few people thought he could push.

It was clear in three minutes he was outclassed. And once his self-belief had been beaten out of him, he decided that being concussed to salve the slobbering masses was every bit as stupid as it sounds.

It’s true that his decision cost him premium cable dollars for now.

But if it saved him sense for later, it was clearly the right call.

http://www.boxingscene.com/nicholas-wal ... friendly=1
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

TopNotch86 wrote:NAME THE GYM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I name it...Jim.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

I hate to have to point this out but boxing is a business and being a boxer is a job, the best paying job by far most of these guys will ever have or ever could have had. Also, and unfortunately, if being over-matched was just cause to call it an early night about 80% of the fights being made today would end with one of the fighters calling it off before the 1/2 way mark. Good luck getting viewers for that kind of nonsense.

How many rounds would Pac/Rios or Pac/Vargas have gone, 2 maybe? Floyd/Berto would not have gone 3.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”