Jason Sosa vs. Gervonta "Tank" Davis

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Post Reply
User avatar
NoPropaganda 253
Posts: 13476
Location: Tacoma, WA

Jason Sosa vs. Gervonta "Tank" Davis

Post by NoPropaganda 253 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:06 pm

The one TMT fighter I enjoy(Badou Jack's not bad either) looks like he gets a shot at the title Sosa took off Fortuna after surviving a questionable draw with Walters. Not sure if it's too much of a step up at this point in his career but I like the path young prospect is traveling. This should be a very entertaining slightly under the radar scrap for the fans come this Oct.

WAR TANK

http://www.boxingscene.com/wba-approves ... ht--107839
Last edited by NoPropaganda 253 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ObJuan13
Posts: 6310

Re: Jason Sosa vs. Gervonta "Tank" Davis

Post by ObJuan13 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:11 pm

Good fight

chuck9788
Posts: 2243
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Jason Sosa vs. Gervonta "Tank" Davis

Post by chuck9788 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:04 pm

Pretty big step up in class for the #10 WBA ranked Gervonta Davis (16-0,15 KO's).

I don't like it, seems rushed. Davis is only 21 years old and last fought against an opponent who had 18 losses coming in.

Sosa (19-1-4, 15 KO's) may not be the top lightweight in the world, however he held his own with Axe Man Walters and took out Fortuna. That's not a fluke.

User avatar
NoPropaganda 253
Posts: 13476
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Jason Sosa vs. Gervonta "Tank" Davis

Post by NoPropaganda 253 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:13 pm

chuck9788 wrote:Pretty big step up in class for the #10 WBA ranked Gervonta Davis (16-0,15 KO's).

I don't like it, seems rushed. Davis is only 21 years old and last fought against an opponent who had 18 losses coming in.

Sosa (19-1-4, 15 KO's) may not be the top lightweight in the world, however he held his own with Axe Man Walters and took out Fortuna. That's not a fluke.
Agree Chuck. It does seem rushed especially in this era. If Gervonta is able to rise to the challenge at his age against a durable, high energy kid like Sosa it will be a hell of an accomplishment. Or it could be too soon and he could have a night like Imam vs Granados. Either way I these ambitious type scrappers are usually the kind I end up pulling for.

gotiye
Posts: 12046

Re: Jason Sosa vs. Gervonta "Tank" Davis

Post by gotiye » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:36 pm

Gervonta hasn't been tested yet. He's been put in fairly soft. I could see this ending up like the Jamel herring vs shafikov fight where he's outgunned by a guy who's fought tougher fights and isn't going to give him any respect. The only reason they'd be taking this is they assume it's a good style matchup on paper with Sosa being straight forward and aggressive. I get the the feeling they're looking past him...............

Based
Posts: 3725
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Jason Sosa vs. Gervonta "Tank" Davis

Post by Based » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:28 pm

I'll take Davis in this one. This can be one hellava fight.

User avatar
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
Posts: 14408
Location: Northern California

Re: Jason Sosa vs. Gervonta "Tank" Davis

Post by J.J.Dillon » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:16 am

Kid's talented but I dunno if he's ready. For his sake, I sure hope he is.

User avatar
BigPhank211
Posts: 14082
Location: South Jersey

Re: Jason Sosa vs. Gervonta "Tank" Davis

Post by BigPhank211 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:19 am

Camden, NJ stand up!
Two tears in a bucket, I wish ni@@as a pail.
A celebration b!tches, I wish ni@@as Chappelle.
They never caught wind, yet thought that they could sail,
against my Sea World flow. I wish you ni@@as whale!

User avatar
tainos
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion
Posts: 23561
Location: Downey, CA

Re: Jason Sosa vs. Gervonta "Tank" Davis

Post by tainos » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:52 am

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
chuck9788 wrote:Pretty big step up in class for the #10 WBA ranked Gervonta Davis (16-0,15 KO's).

I don't like it, seems rushed. Davis is only 21 years old and last fought against an opponent who had 18 losses coming in.

Sosa (19-1-4, 15 KO's) may not be the top lightweight in the world, however he held his own with Axe Man Walters and took out Fortuna. That's not a fluke.
Agree Chuck. It does seem rushed especially in this era. If Gervonta is able to rise to the challenge at his age against a durable, high energy kid like Sosa it will be a hell of an accomplishment. Or it could be too soon and he could have a night like Imam vs Granados. Either way I these ambitious type scrappers are usually the kind I end up pulling for.
This is how i see it playing out. Sosa is going to grind and put this kid in an uncomfortable position that hes never been. Sosa by KO.
Yo naci en Puerto Rico. Pero me cree en Nueva York. Pero nunca me olvidare, de mi tierra Borinquena.
Team Platano Power - Carribean Connection

User avatar
NoPropaganda 253
Posts: 13476
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Jason Sosa vs. Gervonta "Tank" Davis

Post by NoPropaganda 253 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:32 pm

tainos wrote:
NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
chuck9788 wrote:Pretty big step up in class for the #10 WBA ranked Gervonta Davis (16-0,15 KO's).

I don't like it, seems rushed. Davis is only 21 years old and last fought against an opponent who had 18 losses coming in.

Sosa (19-1-4, 15 KO's) may not be the top lightweight in the world, however he held his own with Axe Man Walters and took out Fortuna. That's not a fluke.
Agree Chuck. It does seem rushed especially in this era. If Gervonta is able to rise to the challenge at his age against a durable, high energy kid like Sosa it will be a hell of an accomplishment. Or it could be too soon and he could have a night like Imam vs Granados. Either way I these ambitious type scrappers are usually the kind I end up pulling for.
This is how i see it playing out. Sosa is going to grind and put this kid in an uncomfortable position that hes never been. Sosa by KO.
This fight is definitely going to tell us a whole lot that we don't know about the kid. Stamina, ability to to trade with opponent under pressure, ability fight on the inside/tactics to get fight back outside, better usage of jab to create distance/set up power, amount of dog within, etc.,

Imam couldn't make those adjustments nor possessed those tools needed. Will be interesting to see if Gervonta can or if your prognosis rings true.

User avatar
WillieB59
Posts: 401
Location: Wherever I may be

Re: Jason Sosa vs. Gervonta "Tank" Davis

Post by WillieB59 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:08 pm

Davis is a talented prospect who might upset Sosa but he hasn't earned this title shot.

Tocsin
Posts: 4421

Re: Jason Sosa vs. Gervonta "Tank" Davis

Post by Tocsin » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:30 pm

Very interesting fight

ForceFed_231
Posts: 2725

Re: Jason Sosa vs. Gervonta "Tank" Davis

Post by ForceFed_231 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Wow, boxing is a crazy sport. First Sosa was stopped early in his career in the first round, was incredibly lucky to escape with a draw against Walters and then upsets and wins a title. Meanwhile, Walters is setting on the sidelines without a title or even a fight lined up. I hope he gets a rematch with Sosa.

User avatar
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert
Posts: 21101
Location: Terrapin Station

Re: Jason Sosa vs. Gervonta "Tank" Davis

Post by gilgamesh » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:27 pm

ForceFed_231 wrote:Wow, boxing is a crazy sport. First Sosa was stopped early in his career in the first round, was incredibly lucky to escape with a draw against Walters and then upsets and wins a title. Meanwhile, Walters is setting on the sidelines without a title or even a fight lined up. I hope he gets a rematch with Sosa.
I'd rather see Walters just fight some bigger fights altogether than a rematch with Sosa. I thought he beat Sosa. The draw was bogus. Just like Tim Bradley vs Diego Chaves. They could have a rematch so that Bradley could settle the draw, but it's honestly a waste of time. Most of us know that Tim won that fight.
Image

Post Reply