GGG & Canelo have agreed to fight...

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
kinggrissly

GGG & Canelo have agreed to fight...

Post by kinggrissly »

...in Sept. 2017. Weren't they supposed to fight after the last one? This is why I have less respect for GGG than I even do Canelo who has actually had fights. I realized a long time ago that GGG was playing along and in no hurry to fight anybody. He can't force Alvarez into the ring but he could at least call him out hard in the media and go after other fights instead of going for the okey-doke. He will take 2 or 3 more bum fights with the excuse that Alvarez is on deck and won't go near a Lara or anyone who poses a real threat until he can get a payday for it in the late stages of his career. He knows he's not that good.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing/ca ... 44045.html
NOT MY PRESIDENT
Hillsinitialrebirth

Re: GGG & Canelo have agreed to fight...

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

I used to get all over GGG for being the 'Step Aside Check Champion of the World'....but at least he was getting paid for a fight that will never happen anytime soon. In hindsight, he was pretty smart.
RimmyJice

Post by RimmyJice »

Loeffler said that there's nothing binding, basically he said "eh, whatever". If Canelo finds his balls, great. If not, he already conceded he can't beat Golovkin when he handed over his belt like a bitch. In the meantime, bring on Eubank and cement your immortality. Best middleweight since Hagler at least...maybe ever.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

HBO could tell them no, they aren't getting showcase dates, and force the fight sooner
kinggrissly

Post by kinggrissly »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:HBO could tell them no, they aren't getting showcase dates, and force the fight sooner
Absolutely. That's the one part of the game I don't get--why do networks use their leverage so poorly?
NOT MY PRESIDENT
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

"It would be great if we had some binding agreement, but we don't,"
-Loeffler

Way to go boxing. Liam Smith and Eubank Jr. Legendary.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

Sounds good to me. This year is already half gone. Hopefully it's in September in Vegas. I'll definitely be there.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

This is the new Mayweather-Pac.....Fuck this fight..
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Trafficante28

Post by Trafficante28 »

Typical bullshit but exactly what I said. This fight was never happening in 2016.
I roll with the same strap that killed Bambies mother - Calcium Kid
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

marciano1952 wrote:This is the new Mayweather-Pac.....Fuck this fight..
This fight, for all appearances, is a mismatch anyway. For all the crying about the potential of a Eubank fight instead, probably it's as good or better a contest.
athenian

Post by athenian »

kinggrissly wrote:...in Sept. 2017. Weren't they supposed to fight after the last one? This is why I have less respect for GGG than I even do Canelo who has actually had fights. I realized a long time ago that GGG was playing along and in no hurry to fight anybody. He can't force Alvarez into the ring but he could at least call him out hard in the media and go after other fights instead of going for the okey-doke. He will take 2 or 3 more bum fights with the excuse that Alvarez is on deck and won't go near a Lara or anyone who poses a real threat until he can get a payday for it in the late stages of his career. He knows he's not that good.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing/ca ... 44045.html
He got Canelo to drop his belt...he got Canelo to give him $$ to step aside. Calling him out in public isn't going to work. He shamed Canelo as it is.
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Post by lurkyshaka »

kinggrissly wrote:
jeff_lacy_ko wrote:HBO could tell them no, they aren't getting showcase dates, and force the fight sooner
Absolutely. That's the one part of the game I don't get--why do networks use their leverage so poorly?

Because its suits HBO to keep them apart as long as possible, since they know when/if it does happen it'll be a very one sided fight and Alvarez's credibility and future ratings will drop drastically. At the moment Alvarez's credibility is certainly dipping with his duckery, but at least if they keep teasing about it happening then interest will remain. But as soon as it actually happens then the bubble is burst and post drubbing Alvarez won't be much of a golden goose anymore.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

Cagiva9 wrote:
This fight, for all appearances, is a mismatch anyway. For all the crying about the potential of a Eubank fight instead, probably it's as good or better a contest.
Exactly......GGG will trample Alvarez in an actual fight. Its more a tussle now than it ever would be in the ring. Eubank will at least come believing he can win. Where its crystal clear to all that Alvarez doesn't think he can handle Golovkin.
kinggrissly

Post by kinggrissly »

Cagiva9 wrote:
Alvarez is so much better than Eubank it's not even funny.
NOT MY PRESIDENT
Vastud75

Post by Vastud75 »

This.. But not even close to the same level, which is bullshit

" They say you dont know what u doing till u stop doin it,
Well call me clueless, cuz I do this "
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

It's what I thought it would be. They're only going to fight on Canelo's terms when Canelo and golden boy choose to take the fight...................
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

kinggrissly wrote:
Cagiva9 wrote:
Alvarez is so much better than Eubank it's not even funny.
It'll never happen but if Canelo and Eubank should ever meet at 160, you have a bet :D
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

Vastud75 wrote:
This.. But not even close to the same level, which is bullshit
It's not the same thing. Pacquiao at one point denied the fight because of random testing. bob arum was also being bitter and choosing to keep his bigger fights within top rank. That fight could have happened sooner. The biggest difference is Oscar knows Canelo has youth to extend the fight out a bit and popularity on his side at the moment to make a good payday fighting guys who won't threaten his cash cow. Canelo has more options, ggg doesn't....................
RimmyJice

Post by RimmyJice »

Eubank will be a huge fight in the UK. Financially, it will be a windfall for Golovkin. So, he does have at least one very lucrative option besides Canelo.
RimmyJice

Post by RimmyJice »

Why are people still clamoring for GGG/Canelo, exactly? It was a fight that should have happened when Canelo won the title simply so that the best guy at 160 could take the lineal title in the ring, but the outcome was and is predetermined. Canelo acknowledged this and vacated. There are better fights for Golovkin, Eubank being one if those fights. Mayweather/Pacquaio was a fighr people wanted because it was seen as being highly competitive. GGG/Canelo is an slaughter waiting to happen.
RimmyJice

Post by RimmyJice »

Seems like you think Canelo is better than I think he is. I think he'd struggle against the top guys at 160. Maybe he beats Eubank and Saunders, but I guarantee it goes the distance and I bet they are highly competitive fights.

There isn't anyone at 168 who can beat Golovkin either. He'd have to move up to 175 and fight Ward and Kovalev if we want fights that are seen as competitive beforehand. Personally, I'd really like to see him do that as I want to see the best fights but there is a part of me that enjoys watching certain fans moan about Golovkin while he steamrolls his way to middleweight immortality.
RimmyJice

Post by RimmyJice »

Dirrell brothers? Might as well just stay at 160, those two wouldn't even give Golovkin good sparring. Andre is way past his expiration date and he never had the constitution to deal with a killer like Golovkin in a pro fight. Sure, it would be interesting to watch Golovkin smoke the DeGale/Jack winner. But again, those two are not going to give Golovkin the kind of test you're hoping for. They'd be just as overmatched as the guys he's been facing already. The only thing those fights would do is stoke the fires for a potential showdown between Golovkin and the Ward/Kovalev winner. That's really the only fight GGG can take that will satisfy people.
kinggrissly

Post by kinggrissly »

lurkyshaka wrote:
kinggrissly wrote:

Because its suits HBO to keep them apart as long as possible, since they know when/if it does happen it'll be a very one sided fight and Alvarez's credibility and future ratings will drop drastically. At the moment Alvarez's credibility is certainly dipping with his duckery, but at least if they keep teasing about it happening then interest will remain. But as soon as it actually happens then the bubble is burst and post drubbing Alvarez won't be much of a golden goose anymore.
I guess that's what they're thinking, but based on ratings and PPV buys it's not working. If they started putting only or mostly good fights on the air then people would trust the brand and care about boxing. Sure, it might shorten the careers of a few stars but they would create new ones a lot quicker.
NOT MY PRESIDENT
kinggrissly

Post by kinggrissly »

Cagiva9 wrote: It'll never happen but if Canelo and Eubank should ever meet at 160, you have a bet :D
It wouldn't be fair to take your money because all you're looking at is that one guy fights 5 pounds heavier. You'd probably take Canelo at 159.
NOT MY PRESIDENT
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

kinggrissly wrote:
Cagiva9 wrote: It'll never happen but if Canelo and Eubank should ever meet at 160, you have a bet :D
It wouldn't be fair to take your money because all you're looking at is that one guy fights 5 pounds heavier. You'd probably take Canelo at 159.
Quack! Quack!!

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”