GGG & Canelo have agreed to fight...

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
NoPropaganda 253

Re: GGG & Canelo have agreed to fight...

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

gotiye wrote:
NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
tainos wrote:GGG is being played for a fool. Move the fuck on. I wish their was a tour like the Super six again at 168. Wouldnt mind seeing GGG move up and fight DeGale, Ramirez, Jack, Smith and throw Andre in their for kicks. Sure beats waiting around for a fight that will never happen.
With you Tainos. Middleweight record for defenses is cool and all, but if were talking history and considering the talent that Gennady has been able to face in the ring, it leaves something to be desired. I'd like to see K2 secure a talent like Triple some fights the fans will remember years from now. That's just me. Always like to see the fighters I choose to root for in meaningful fights.
Loeffler is at fault as well. He's been keeping ggg on a safer path at 160 to try to make him a name and to get a big payday. He doesn't want ggg to look bad that's why they're limiting the amount of risk he's taking. Loeffler is making the mistake of expecting everyone to come to them on their terms but it doesn't work like that. In order to get a big name, you have to give something up or everything up in negotiations......you can't dictate terms. The problem is they think they deserve a 50/50 split with a guy like Canelo when Canelo at this point in time is the main reason a ppv will draw casual fans. The only way ggg starts to draw more than a hardcore fanbase is to take more fights where it's not a guaranteed win on paper and it looks to be competitive both ways...................

That's always been the formula gotye. I understand the promoter's reasoning for creating the path but not so much the fan that wishes that Gennady doesn't deviate from it and all the while HBO enables it.
NoPropaganda 253

Cagiva9 wrote:All these calls for Golovkin to move up to 168, like 168 is so much better...it isn't. After a couple of fights the very same complaints from the very same complainers, guaranteed.
You want to see the Ramirez fight, George...remember? Lol. When emotions override rational thought and the short term memory.

Classic George. Just jumping out of nowhere without thinking it through :)

Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
Cagiva9 wrote:All these calls for Golovkin to move up to 168, like 168 is so much better...it isn't. After a couple of fights the very same complaints from the very same complainers, guaranteed.
You want to see the Ramirez fight, George...remember? Lol. When emotions override rational thought and the short term memory.

Classic George. Just jumping out of nowhere without thinking it through :)

I do want to see it but if you read any of the articles about the Golovkin/Ramirez fight it does not actually involve abandoning 160.

Just jumping out of nowhere without thinking it through??
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

The move to 168 pounds would be temporary for Golovkin, said Loeffler, followed by a return to middleweight.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow ... story.html
kinggrissly

Post by kinggrissly »

But you're the king of picking somebody just because he's bigger. You had Geale beating Cotto, Alvarez losing to every MW with a pulse but giving Mayweather a tough fight at 155. Now I'm just lost with you.
Last edited by kinggrissly on Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOT MY PRESIDENT
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

Cagiva9 wrote:
The move to 168 pounds would be temporary for Golovkin, said Loeffler, followed by a return to middleweight.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow ... story.html
Summary of Loeffler's comments:

Idk wtf Im doing at the moment
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

Fine then.

Fight LARA!
NoPropaganda 253

George- Messing with you. No reason why he couldn't bounce around. I'm curious of when his Superfans think his skills will start to deteriorate...he's what 35? K2 needs to do their fucking job at this point. Eubank? That's not it. A talent like Triple deserves to be showcased properly. If he runs through the champs at 168 he should/would get props from anyone with a scrap of knowledge of the sport. That same ol "people will still complain" song is straight out of the Woman Hands Superfan manual. Fight the fights and then you get the credit.
RimmyJice

Post by RimmyJice »

gotiye wrote:
RimmyJice wrote:
gotiye wrote: HBO doesn't have the budget for that fight and HBO won't allow their contracted fighters to fight out of their network. HBO has crippled some of the match making in certain weight classes with the moves they made...................
The fighters have nothing to do with it...................
If Haymon wins the purse bid, GGG has to fight him on Haymon's terms or drop the belt.
Why doesn't Haymon or Jacobs pursue this?
Because ggg is signed to HBO. I wish is was as simple as you make it sound, I truly wish it worked that way because I want these fights as well but there's so much red tape with contract HBO gave certain fighters. the sanctioning body will have to force their hand in order for the fight to take place...................
It does work the way I'm saying it works. If Haymon wins the purse bid, GGG has to fight Danny and Haymon calls the shots, including the network it airs on. HBO can tell Golovkin he can't do it, and Golovkin will have to vacate, or HBO can allow it to happen on Haymon's network of choice. Either way it goes, Danny would either get the fight or get the title.

But, Haymon won't do that because there is a chance GGG calls their bluff or K2 win the purse bid and then Danny has to fight GGG. And they don't want that.
tainos
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion

Post by tainos »

It does work the way I'm saying it works. If Haymon wins the purse bid, GGG has to fight Danny and Haymon calls the shots, including the network it airs on. HBO can tell Golovkin he can't do it, and Golovkin will have to vacate, or HBO can allow it to happen on Haymon's network of choice. Either way it goes, Danny would either get the fight or get the title.

But, Haymon won't do that because there is a chance GGG calls their bluff or K2 win the purse bid and then Danny has to fight GGG. And they don't want that.

Rimmy nobody at 160 wants it hence move up. Youre wasting your prime and your time playing the waiting game. GGG doesnt have that much time. take advantage and strike while the iron is hot.
Yo naci en Puerto Rico. Pero me cree en Nueva York. Pero nunca me olvidare, de mi tierra Borinquena.
Team Platano Power - Carribean Connection
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

ggg fought at 165 in the amateurs at a world level so he can most likely do very well at 168 if he chose to move up. i believe his team is choosing the easier path where he knows he carries a solid power advantage at 160. him moving up to 168 and winning a world title would be a big deal. it would further solidify his standing in the sport especially since he's running out of options and playing the waiting game. he's 34.... at some point you do what's best for your career and try to make the moves that are available to position you to where you want to be. that calculated risk would be a big benefit if he chose to go that route and if he were to be successful....................................
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Haymon will never try to match Danny Jacobs with GGG. He wants to coast on "Danny beat cancer...what a Champion he is"...while he spends his entire fighting guys not named GGG.
RimmyJice

Post by RimmyJice »

I don't think fighting Eubank is a waste, I think it's as good a fight as he can make. Ramirez seems eager for the fight at 168, so I guess that's a marginally better option. I don't believe Jack or Degale would jump at the opportunity to fight GGG like most here seem to think. Dirrell would piss himself and fake a seizure if Golovkin was even mentioned to him.

Fight Eubank and then see what else is available. That's a good plan for now.
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

tainos wrote:It does work the way I'm saying it works. If Haymon wins the purse bid, GGG has to fight Danny and Haymon calls the shots, including the network it airs on. HBO can tell Golovkin he can't do it, and Golovkin will have to vacate, or HBO can allow it to happen on Haymon's network of choice. Either way it goes, Danny would either get the fight or get the title.

Rimmy nobody at 160 wants it hence move up. Youre wasting your prime and your time playing the waiting game. GGG doesnt have that much time. take advantage and strike while the iron is hot.
the reason why haymon guys don't fight ggg is because the money they want isn't there for the fight...loeffler and hbo aren't willing to pay past a certain price. they want ggg to have the leverage on the hbo side because of the contract he signed to be exclusive to hbo...................................
it's why jacobs is trying to unify to bring his price up to make more money before taking that risk.....................................
tainos

Post by tainos »

Heres the other thing. Canelo could very well lose to Saunders or whoever else he fights at 160. Canelo isnt that good. Then what?
Yo naci en Puerto Rico. Pero me cree en Nueva York. Pero nunca me olvidare, de mi tierra Borinquena.
Team Platano Power - Carribean Connection
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

tainos wrote:Heres the other thing. Canelo could very well lose to Saunders or whoever else he fights at 160. Canelo isnt that good. Then what?
anyone can lose in boxing, that's why everyone is trying to make their money with a limited amount of risk. there are too many hands involved in everything when it comes to belts/sanctioning bodies and promoters at a certain level....................................
RimmyJice

Post by RimmyJice »

gotiye wrote:
tainos wrote:It does work the way I'm saying it works. If Haymon wins the purse bid, GGG has to fight Danny and Haymon calls the shots, including the network it airs on. HBO can tell Golovkin he can't do it, and Golovkin will have to vacate, or HBO can allow it to happen on Haymon's network of choice. Either way it goes, Danny would either get the fight or get the title.

the reason why haymon guys don't fight ggg is because the money they want isn't there for the fight...loeffler and hbo aren't willing to pay past a certain price. they want ggg to have the leverage on the hbo side because of the contract he signed to be exclusive to hbo...................................
it's why jacobs is trying to unify to bring his price up to make more money before taking that risk.....................................
If the go to a purse bid, Haymon can bod what he thinks the fight is worth and then sell it to whatever network he wants for whatever price he can get. It has literally nothing to do with Loeffler or HBO not having money...that is inconsequential. I thought you said you know how this works?
NoPropaganda 253

RimmyJice wrote:
gotiye wrote:

If the go to a purse bid, Haymon can bod what he thinks the fight is worth and then sell it to whatever network he wants for whatever price he can get. It has literally nothing to do with Loeffler or HBO not having money...that is inconsequential. I thought you said you know how this works?
What percentage of the purse does the champion receive in this scenario?
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

RimmyJice wrote:
gotiye wrote:

with the contract ggg signed he can't fight outside of hbo just like the kovalev-stevenson situation. they're obligated to fight on hbo, haymon can't stop that.............................
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

the only scenario where a ggg-jacobs fight happens is if hbo or loeffler put money up to win the purse or hbo was willing to let that fight air on another network along with hbo and they worked a cross network deal like they have with other big fights. the problem is, there's no guarantee that the investment would pay off. it's not like mayweather vs pacquiao or lewis vs tyson where there's a huge casual interest. for the numbers they look for in a huge event, that particular fight may not fit the criteria they're looking for. it's a more risk than reward on their part. they soften up their exclusivity on their contract and if their guy happened to lose they lose a big chunk of the investment they put into ggg as a potential face of their network.....................................
unless the sanctioning pulls rank and damn near forces it via fines or loss of ranking, ggg fighting outside of hbo would probably get him sued............................
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

kinggrissly wrote:
But you're the king of picking somebody just because he's bigger. You had Geale beating Cotto, Alvarez losing to every MW with a pulse but giving Mayweather a tough fight at 155. Now I'm just lost with you.
I don't have time to defend every invention and exaggeration you can come up with.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

regulardude wrote:
Cagiva9 wrote:I don't have time .
or you either :x
kinggrissly

Post by kinggrissly »

Cagiva9 wrote:
kinggrissly wrote:
I don't have time to defend every invention and exaggeration you can come up with.
No offense, homie, it just seemed out of sync with your typical thinking. If I misattributed some other people's stuff to you my bad.
NOT MY PRESIDENT
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Canelo quickly went from a fighter I'm a fan of to a fighter I absolutely despise. I'll be rooting for him to be knocked out for the rest of his career anytime he fights anybody.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

gilgamesh wrote:Canelo quickly went from a fighter I'm a fan of to a fighter I absolutely despise. I'll be rooting for him to be knocked out for the rest of his career anytime he fights anybody.
Same.... I used to be a huge Canelo fan during his early years.... Back then Astor would show his fights on those late night cards from Mexico on Telefutura and Solo Boxeo.... Canelo was a heavy handed seek and destroy type of fighter back then...... But now, it seems Canelo would much rather avoid the toughest fights out there.... I blame all of this on the FMJ play book he employs now........ Oh, I'll fight you but, you'll have to starve yourself and I did I tell you that you only get 20% of the purse split
Chef

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”