Ward down once but gets the decision vs Kovalev Saturday

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
athenian

Re: Ward vs Kovalev @ T Mobile Arena 11/19 PPV

Post by athenian »

Ward better get his tuneup signed ASAP, he's running out of time.

Boxing needs this fight desperately.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Best fight in years but probably still fails as a PPV, go figure :(
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

athenian wrote:Ward better get his tuneup signed ASAP, he's running out of time.

Last I saw they were considering Cleverly and some other dude for late July
chef97

Post by chef97 »

athenian wrote:Ward better get his tuneup signed ASAP, he's running out of time.

I heard Rosado is available..... :)
Chef
tainos
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion

Post by tainos »

Ok Now Im excited. This is a fight my brothers of the top 2 fighters in the division and two of the top 5 P4P. Thank you boxing(for once this year). Major props to Ward many on here doubted he would take this tough challenge but he has. Now to the fight. Will Ward fight on the inside and slip the jab and smother Kov's power punches or will he use his own jab and fight from distance? Ward is so versatile and I think that will be the difference. How will Ward handle when he gets hit by Kov? Man I love this fight!!!
Yo naci en Puerto Rico. Pero me cree en Nueva York. Pero nunca me olvidare, de mi tierra Borinquena.
Team Platano Power - Carribean Connection
Based

Post by Based »

under 100k buys.
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

Ward 7/30 possible opponents

Nathan Cleverly & "Colombia's Alexander Brand (25-1, 19 KO) and Swedish prospect Erik Skoglund (25-0, 11 KO)"

http://www.badlefthook.com/2016/5/28/11 ... y-30-fight
tainos

Post by tainos »

Based wrote:under 100k buys.
Who cares. I know i want to see the fight, dont you? One of the top 3 fights to be made in boxing and I dont give a flying rats ass how much PPV it does!!!
Yo naci en Puerto Rico. Pero me cree en Nueva York. Pero nunca me olvidare, de mi tierra Borinquena.
KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

I might try to go to this.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

This is what boxing is all about. Can Andre take away Killer's jab?
tainos wrote:Ok Now Im excited. This is a fight my brothers of the top 2 fighters in the division and two of the top 5 P4P. Thank you boxing(for once this year). Major props to Ward many on here doubted he would take this tough challenge but he has. Now to the fight. Will Ward fight on the inside and slip the jab and smother Kov's power punches or will he use his own jab and fight from distance? Ward is so versatile and I think that will be the difference. How will Ward handle when he gets hit by Kov? Man I love this fight!!!
This is what boxing is all about tainos. Can Andre take away Killer's jab? Imo that's where it all begins for both fighters. So many different ways this fight could go. It's gonna be fun to watch and it's doing over 100k lol
NoPropaganda 253

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 wrote:I might try to go to this.
I was thinking the same thing. It's been a miniute. Eyes posted for ticket info
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

tainos wrote:
Based wrote:under 100k buys.
Who cares. I know i want to see the fight, dont you? One of the top 3 fights to be made in boxing and I dont give a flying rats ass how much PPV it does!!!
"The bottom line" is the bottom line for why we don't get the really important fights like this happening more often. If overall, PPV buyers were not so damned ignorant, we'd get more fights like this, less fights like Canelo/Khan.
tainos

Post by tainos »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:This is what boxing is all about. Can Andre take away Killer's jab?
tainos wrote:Ok Now Im excited. This is a fight my brothers of the top 2 fighters in the division and two of the top 5 P4P. Thank you boxing(for once this year). Major props to Ward many on here doubted he would take this tough challenge but he has. Now to the fight. Will Ward fight on the inside and slip the jab and smother Kov's power punches or will he use his own jab and fight from distance? Ward is so versatile and I think that will be the difference. How will Ward handle when he gets hit by Kov? Man I love this fight!!!
This is what boxing is all about tainos. Can Andre take away Killer's jab? Imo that's where it all begins for both fighters. So many different ways this fight could go. It's gonna be fun to watch and it's doing over 100k lol
That will be the key to the fight. Can Ward slip it, get inside throw his combos then hold and get out. I think that would be Plan A for Ward. Plan B would be to use his own jab which I think will be the harder strategy since Kovs reach is longer. Can Ward take one of Kovs power shots? I personally think Ward will take that over hand right away from Kov and smother him on the inside. I cant wait my brother. Fuck the preliminary fights and lets do this! :D
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

tainos wrote:
NoPropaganda 253 wrote:This is what boxing is all about. Can Andre take away Killer's jab?
That will be the key to the fight. Can Ward slip it, get inside throw his combos then hold and get out. I think that would be Plan A for Ward. Plan B would be to use his own jab which I think will be the harder strategy since Kovs reach is longer. Can Ward take one of Kovs power shots? I personally think Ward will take that over hand right away from Kov and smother him on the inside. I cant wait my brother. Fuck the preliminary fights and lets do this! :D
Height and reach are nearly the same.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

its bad for boxing that its ppv... such good fight wouldve been great for the main str3am fans in N-America. But since both aren't big sellers in N-America, the undercard better be spectacular. The fight will only get the visibility it deserves outside N-America since it will be free everywhere else (maybe outside of australia)
tainos

Post by tainos »

Height and reach are nearly the same.

My eyes say Kov is longer and has a bigger reach. I could be wrong though.
NoPropaganda 253

tainos wrote:
Folks speak about Killer's straight right but that jab is one of boxing's best weapons. He moves his opponent strategically with it, shoots it up, sits on it with power etc., Ward's timing needs to improve from the Barrera fight. Seemed a tick off and that will be crucial in adjusting and then taking away the jab. Andre is also used to being the stronger fighter inside and in this one that might not be the case. You have to love a fight between two undefeated champions in which many elements of the fight could change.
tainos

Post by tainos »

Folks speak about Killer's straight right but that jab is one of boxing's best weapons. He moves his opponent strategically with it, shoots it up, sits on it with power etc., Ward's timing needs to improve from the Barrera fight. Seemed a tick off and that will be crucial in adjusting and then taking away the jab. Andre is also used to being the stronger fighter inside and in this one that might not be the case. You have to love a fight between two undefeated champions in which many elements of the fight could change.

Exactly. Thats what makes this fight so intriguing. Favor Ward but would not be surprised one bit in a Kov win. Love these type of fights. Wonder who the Vegas favorite will be?
NoPropaganda 253

tainos wrote:Folks speak about Killer's straight right but that jab is one of boxing's best weapons. He moves his opponent strategically with it, shoots it up, sits on it with power etc., Ward's timing needs to improve from the Barrera fight. Seemed a tick off and that will be crucial in adjusting and then taking away the jab. Andre is also used to being the stronger fighter inside and in this one that might not be the case. You have to love a fight between two undefeated champions in which many elements of the fight could change.

Exactly. Thats what makes this fight so intriguing. Favor Ward but would not be surprised one bit in a Kov win. Love these type of fights. Wonder who the Vegas favorite will be?
No idea. Hard to bet against Andre but Kov might be the one to sway the odds. Close to pick em as you can get.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I'm rooting for Sergey, but I think Ward will be tricky enough to edge it.
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Props too Kov also for putting his money where his mouth is. I imagine the hate train will roll out with the typical BS that Andre will back out or fake an injury.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Even though I think Ward would win, I still don't think it's going to happen. I suspect that Andre will back out or fake an injury.
athenian

Post by athenian »

Tocsin wrote:Even though I think Ward would win, I still don't think it's going to happen. I suspect that Andre will back out or fake an injury.
Do you want to bet he won't?
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

This is great! Since it doesn't look like GGG vs. Canelo will be happening anytime soon, it's great to see that we're getting this fight as the substitute.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”