Roman González defeated Carlos Cuadras Saturday •Gil RBR•

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
ForceFed_231

Re: Chocolatito" González Vs Carlos Cuadras •NOW LIVE•

Post by ForceFed_231 »

gilgamesh wrote:
elterrible33 wrote:Regardless of the score, that was a war. Far from an easy fight for roman, he got busted up.
Yeah I picked Cuadras to win it, and was saying coming in that even if he didn't pull off the victory that I think he'd be the toughest opponent Gonzalez has faced. I think at least on the 2nd part of that prediction I was correct. This is definitely the hardest fight I've ever seen Gonzalez in.
Cuadras isn't finished in division that is for sure or at least I hope not. I would like to see a rematch, but because this perception that Roman won so convincingly there won't be one.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

ForceFed_231 wrote:
gilgamesh wrote:
elterrible33 wrote:Regardless of the score, that was a war. Far from an easy fight for roman, he got busted up.
Yeah I picked Cuadras to win it, and was saying coming in that even if he didn't pull off the victory that I think he'd be the toughest opponent Gonzalez has faced. I think at least on the 2nd part of that prediction I was correct. This is definitely the hardest fight I've ever seen Gonzalez in.
Cuadras isn't finished in division that is for sure or at least I hope not. I would like to see a rematch, but because this perception that Roman won so convincingly there won't be one.
I don't think there is a perception that he won easily. Fans all over forums are acknowledging the difficulty he had, and everyone knows damn well you were in a hell of a fight when your face looks like that after it's over.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

tainos wrote:Great fight! Chocolatito got busted up in the latter stages. Looked like Roman was going to win easy in the mid rounds but Cuadras got stronger as the fight went on. FOTY.
There has been some great distance fights this year. That was one of them. What a war.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

Such a great fight. Was refreshing to see two very good fighters go at it and go for the win after the short changed fight earlier
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

I don't think Inoue has a good shot at beating him... Cuadras is more a puncher while Inoue is a grinder... very open with both hands out there... dangerous imo vs a hooker like roman
tainos
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion

Post by tainos »

hardcorebee24 wrote:
tainos wrote:Great fight! Chocolatito got busted up in the latter stages. Looked like Roman was going to win easy in the mid rounds but Cuadras got stronger as the fight went on. FOTY.
There has been some great distance fights this year. That was one of them. What a war.
Yes indeed. Between rounds 11 and 12 they both looked done on their stool. I really had a bad feeling for Roman late. He didn't look good.
Yo naci en Puerto Rico. Pero me cree en Nueva York. Pero nunca me olvidare, de mi tierra Borinquena.
Team Platano Power - Carribean Connection
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

the13r wrote:I don't think Inoue has a good shot at beating him... Cuadras is more a puncher while Inoue is a grinder... very open with both hands out there... dangerous imo vs a hooker like roman
Add to the fact that Cuadras is bigger than Inoue and also that he's on steroids.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

tainos wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
Yes indeed. Between rounds 11 and 12 they both looked done on their stool. I really had a bad feeling for Roman late. He didn't look good.
Roman won a war of attrition tonight. There were several instances where I felt Cuadras wanted to quit as Roman kept pressuring him and Cuadras was exhausted.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

5_burowz wrote:
the13r wrote:I don't think Inoue has a good shot at beating him... Cuadras is more a puncher while Inoue is a grinder... very open with both hands out there... dangerous imo vs a hooker like roman
Add to the fact that Cuadras is bigger than Inoue and also that he's on steroids.
Cuadras has never tested positive for steroids so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he's not on them.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Glad and proud of TTR members that this little men fight gets the love... all the FOTY of recent years have been in those divisions and hey need more visibility... shit throw in a heavyweight slugfest to gather attention with a smaller men fight but get these guys the spotlight they deserve
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

How dangerous of a puncher is Roman at 115? He didn't really hurt his last two opponents at all...
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

5_burowz wrote:
tainos wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote: There has been some great distance fights this year. That was one of them. What a war.
Roman won a war of attrition tonight. There were several instances where I felt Cuadras wanted to quit as Roman kept pressuring him and Cuadras was exhausted.
He won from the tremendous pace, and effort he'd put forth early in the fight. I had Cuadras winning the 10th, 11th and 12th. He was the stronger guy over the final 3 rounds. Several of the first few rounds I gave to Cuadras were close and could've went either way. Apparently officially they went Roman's way.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Tocsin wrote:
How dangerous of a puncher is Roman at 115? He didn't really hurt his last two opponents at all...
I've never seen Gonzalez as a big one punch KO puncher anyhow. He's just a relentless attacker that breaks you down by attacking the living shit out of you.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

depends on which style he faces... in Inoue's case i can see his hook landing all night... i don't think he stops him but i think he consistently scores all night as soon as Inoue gets in his usual efficient gears
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

the13r wrote:Glad and proud of TTR members that this little men fight gets the love... all the FOTY of recent years have been in those divisions and hey need more visibility... shit throw in a heavyweight slugfest to gather attention with a smaller men fight but get these guys the spotlight they deserve
I rather think they should just make the best card regardless of the headlining fight, like Britain has been doing. True AJ gets the top billing in his turn but mostly it's lower weights and they've been promoting really good, competitive cards.
tainos

Post by tainos »

Roman won a war of attrition tonight. There were several instances where I felt Cuadras wanted to quit as Roman kept pressuring him and Cuadras was exhausted.[/quote]

No doubt! It was a war of attrition as they both had their moments of being gassed but they found something from within everytime.
Yo naci en Puerto Rico. Pero me cree en Nueva York. Pero nunca me olvidare, de mi tierra Borinquena.
Team Platano Power - Carribean Connection
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

basically went as i expected and put down in my breakdown... Cuadras give a hell of a fight a la Estrada with lots of inside the pocket trading sequences... but Roman was just better even at Cuadras' game
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

How do people think Cuadras-Inoue would go?
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Inoue could impose a higher work rate but Cudras' power on body work and looping punches would be VERY dangerous and imo would score a KD or two
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

gilgamesh wrote:
5_burowz wrote:
Cuadras has never tested positive for steroids so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he's not on them.

I guarantee you he's on them. 100%
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

gilgamesh wrote: I had Cuadras winning the 10th, 11th and 12th..

LMFAO! OMFG you are blind.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

5_burowz wrote:

I'd wager I'm not the only one that had Cuadras sweeping those rounds.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

gilgamesh wrote:
5_burowz wrote:

I'd wager I'm not the only one that had Cuadras sweeping those rounds.

Then you'd all be wrong together. Gonzo landed more and threw more and controlled the pace of the fight for 12 rounds. There was nary a definitive round that Cuadras won. Gonzalez won the first half of the fight rather handily but Cuadras did better in the 2nd half. Doesn't mean that Cuadras was winning rounds though. You have to win rounds to win decisions and Cuadras wasn't landing more punches. I think you are simply swayed by the fact that Roman's face swelled up. Well, when you're moving up another weight class facing a guy who is bigger than you and also on steroids it's no wonder.
gilgamesh

Re: Roman González defeated Carlos Cuadras Saturday •Gil RBR

Post by gilgamesh »

Over those last 3 rounds while Gonzalez was still coming forward and moving his hands the steam had come off of his shots by a lot. Cuadras' shots were still landing with full force in those rounds.

Rounds 1, 5 and 6 which I also scored for Cuadras were all close rounds where I could see a case being made for Gonzalez. So I don't dispute the official decision. I just personally felt the fight was a draw. You don't have to agree with me, but I have clear reasons for why I scored each round the way I did.
5_burowz

Re: Roman González defeated Carlos Cuadras Saturday •Gil RBR

Post by 5_burowz »

gilgamesh wrote:Over those last 3 rounds while Gonzalez was still coming forward and moving his hands the steam had come off of his shots by a lot. Cuadras' shots were still landing with full force in those rounds.

Rounds 1, 5 and 6 which I also scored for Cuadras were all close rounds where I could see a case being made for Gonzalez. So I don't dispute the official decision. I just personally felt the fight was a draw. You don't have to agree with me, but I have clear reasons for why I scored each round the way I did.

Cuadras won four rounds at most. Period. Roman outlanded him by almost 100 punches. You need to go to Lenscrafters.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”