Mayweather promotions signs Sharif Bogere

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Mayweather promotions signs Sharif Bogere

Post by Primetyme199 »

Floyd Mayweather has just added a new fighter to his growing stable as he signs Ugandan lightweight Sharif Bogere to a new deal with Mayweather Promotions. Bogere (27-1, 19 KOs) is currently coming off four consecutive stoppage wins since losing a unanimous decision to Richar Abril in early 2013, and is excited about this new opportunity.

"This is such a great day for me and an important move for my career," said Bogere. "I'm very thankful to Floyd, Leonard, and the whole Mayweather Promotions team. I cannot wait to get back in the ring and show everybody why I'm a future world champion. I want to fight the best and I feel this will put me in a position to conquer the sport."

With Bogere, 27, now aligned with the influential Mayweather, his career prospects may be all the more promising as Mayweather has already helped put three of his fighters into position to win world titles: Badou Jack, Mickey Bey, and Ishe Smith.

"We're proud to add another young, hungry fighter to our Mayweather Promotions stable," said Mayweather. "Sharif Bogere is a very talented young man with an incredible backstory and I know that he's working hard to become a world champion."

Hailing from Kampala, Uganda, Bogere is said to have learned to fight as a means to protect himself in his poverty-stricken neighborhood. He's also said to have overcome terribly harsh training conditions where he had limited access to even basic necessities like water and hand wraps. Bogere is now a long way away from where he started, but he still has much more work to do if he's to become a champion.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2016/3/11/11 ... ional-deal
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Re: Mayweather promotions signs Sharif Bogere

Post by gilgamesh »

Mayweather promotions has a real eye for good fighters who aren't quite good enough to reach the top.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

gilgamesh wrote:Mayweather promotions has a real eye for good fighters who aren't quite good enough to reach the top.
Yeah but, Sharif Bogere has one of the best ring entrances in boxing history and he's a former 135 world champ.... :) He gets carried into the ring in an animal cage wearing a Lion's pelt w/ the head still attached... Bogere actually killed that Lion when he was 15 w/ a spear that his dad made him.... Cool story and I'll bet Astor has a GIF of Sharif Bogere's ring entrance.....
Chef
WillieB59

Post by WillieB59 »

chef97 wrote:
gilgamesh wrote:Mayweather promotions has a real eye for good fighters who aren't quite good enough to reach the top.
Yeah but, Sharif Bogere has one of the best ring entrances in boxing history and he's a former 135 world champ.... :) He gets carried into the ring in an animal cage wearing a Lion's pelt w/ the head still attached... Bogere actually killed that Lion when he was 15 w/ a spear that his dad made him.... Cool story and I'll bet Astor has a GIF of Sharif Bogere's ring entrance.....
Bogere never held a world title. He fought for one but he didn't win it.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

When your entrances are your best career Hls...
chef97

Post by chef97 »

WillieB59 wrote:
chef97 wrote:
You sure about that? Last I heard the WBO is a world title too....

Bogere captured the WBO 135 title vs 2011-05-13 Raymundo Beltran 24 4 0 Buffalo Bill's Star Arena, Primm, Nevada, USA W UD
vacant WBO NABO lightweight title (supervisor: Richard De Cuir)

Bogere did lose in his bid to unify and gain the WBA 135 title vs Richar Abril back in 2013... And since that and his only loss ; Bogere has won 4 straight all by KO.... However his last bout was declared a NC I'm not sure why.....
Chef
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

chef97 wrote:

Bogere captured the WBO 135 title vs 2011-05-13 Raymundo Beltran 24 4 0 Buffalo Bill's Star Arena, Primm, Nevada, USA W UD

Bogere did lose in his bid to unify and gain the WBA 135 title vs Richar Abril back in 2013... And since that and his only loss ; Bogere has won 4 straight all by KO.... However his last bout was declared a NC I'm not sure why.....
It's a No Contest that only went 2 rounds. I assume a cut from an accident headbutt or something lead to an early stoppage, and not enough rounds had been completed for a Technical Decision so that was the result.
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Post by KSTAT124 »

chef97 wrote:
WillieB59 wrote:
chef97 wrote:

WillieB was right. Bogere has never held a world title. When he outpointed Beltran, he won the vacant WBO NABO (North American Boxing Organization) title, a WBO regional title, not the WBO's world title. In May of 2011, Juan Manuel Marquez held the WBO World lightweight title. He (JMM) would be stripped of that title in January 2012.

When Bogere challenged for Abril's WBA World title, Ricky Burns was the reigning WBO World lightweight champion. Bogere was ranked #2 by the WBA and #6 by the WBO. Abril had been the WBA's interim champion (therefore their #1 contender) until a few days before the fight when his status was upgraded to full world champion.

From TTR's archives:

Las Vegas, Nevada, USA-

WBA World Lightweight Title-
Champion Richar Abril (Richard Abril; WBA #1, TTR #4, The Ring #5, WBO #9; 18-3-1, 8 KOs)
Unan. Dec. 12
Sharif Bogere (WBA #2, TTR #6, WBO #6, The Ring #7; 23-1, 15 KOs)
- The WBA upgraded Abril's status from Interim Champion to World Champion during the week prior to the fight.
- Abril retained the title by the scores of 115-111, 116-110, and 116-110.
- TTR also scored it 115-111 for Abril.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”