Floyd: "I can't vacate a title (WBO) that I never received"

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
DSuperman25

Floyd: "I can't vacate a title (WBO) that I never received"

Post by DSuperman25 »

http://www.boxingscene.com/timothy-brad ... ion--92528

What's this about Floyd "not receiving" the WBO title? According to Floyd, he can't vacate a title that he hasn't received [formally anyway]. I realize Floyd is being spiteful to TR and Arum by not vacating for Timmy and Vargas to have a title to fight for, that I understand. What I don't understand is what Floyd is talking about.

After the fight, the former champion's title is literally handed to the winner of the fight. I thought that was cut and dry: You beat a guy, you take his title belt home. So what steps am I unaware of when titles change hands?
athenian

Re: Floyd: "I can't vacate a title (WBO) that I never receiv

Post by athenian »

I thought this was weird too. Even more curious, why does Floyd care? I mean, he's going to drop them anyway...it's not even spiteful to Top Rank if he's going to give it right back. Not going to change the fact Vargas-Bradley is for the belt. Seems weird.
DSuperman25

Post by DSuperman25 »

athenian wrote:I thought this was weird too. Even more curious, why does Floyd care? I mean, he's going to drop them anyway...it's not even spiteful to Top Rank if he's going to give it right back. Not going to change the fact Vargas-Bradley is for the belt. Seems weird.
That is exactly what it changes. They can't fight for a belt that belongs to Floyd. Floyd said he would vacate, and TR (perhaps prematurely) immediately announced Bradley-Vargas as a title fight. At worst, that is poor taste. At best its poor judgement, and lack of awareness in regards to disrespecting someone you have that much bad blood with. A patient approach was needed. TR jumped the gun, and now Floyd will make sure they have no title to contend for.
athenian

Post by athenian »

DSuperman25 wrote:
athenian wrote:I thought this was weird too. Even more curious, why does Floyd care? I mean, he's going to drop them anyway...it's not even spiteful to Top Rank if he's going to give it right back. Not going to change the fact Vargas-Bradley is for the belt. Seems weird.
That is exactly what it changes. They can't fight for a belt that belongs to Floyd. Floyd said he would vacate, and TR (perhaps prematurely) immediately announced Bradley-Vargas as a title fight. At worst, that is poor taste. At best its poor judgement, and lack of awareness in regards to disrespecting someone you have that much bad blood with. A patient approach was needed. TR jumped the gun, and now Floyd will make sure they have no title to contend for.
True, but ultimately the WBO made the decision...the belt is currently vacated, and I assume they will get a fee from the Bradley-Vargas fight. I don't think anything would stop them from taking it from Floyd because he said he would vacate it. I guess Floyd could ask for it/sue, and then vacate it at the last second he would be obligated to under rules for the organization. It's fucking stupid either way.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

DSuperman25 wrote:
I thought WBO announced it as a championship fight. I don't remember Arum saying it.

As for the whole belt thing, unless Floyd is trying to say that was actually Manny's version of the title, and he gave it back to him, he is just spewing because the WBO was (and rightfully so in my opinion) going based off the fact that he said he would vacate the titles at the press conference.
DSuperman25

Post by DSuperman25 »

TheSickness316 wrote:
DSuperman25 wrote:
I thought WBO announced it as a championship fight. I don't remember Arum saying it.

As for the whole belt thing, unless Floyd is trying to say that was actually Manny's version of the title, and he gave it back to him, he is just spewing because the WBO was (and rightfully so in my opinion) going based off the fact that he said he would vacate the titles at the press conference.
I'm sure that there is something official that designates a fighter vacating and or being stripped. I have heard nothing from any camp WBO, TR, Arum, or Floyd that depicts that has happened. Merely stating your intentions does not make a title vacant.

I can buy the "Manny's version" belt story, however how long does it really take to get a WBO strap and slap Floyd's name on it if only to placate him and collect sanctioning fees if he chooses to hold on to it for longer than he suggested.
DSuperman25

Post by DSuperman25 »

stenchasaurous wrote:
DSuperman25 wrote:http://www.boxingscene.com/timothy-brad ... ion--92528

What's this about Floyd "not receiving" the WBO title? According to Floyd, he can't vacate a title that he hasn't received [formally anyway]. I realize Floyd is being spiteful to TR and Arum by not vacating for Timmy and Vargas to have a title to fight for, that I understand. What I don't understand is what Floyd is talking about.

After the fight, the former champion's title is literally handed to the winner of the fight. I thought that was cut and dry: You beat a guy, you take his title belt home. So what steps am I unaware of when titles change hands?
I didn't think they actually took the belt home. I think they give it to them in the ring for pictures and as a symbolic gesture, but I think champs get to keep their actual belts and they make a new one for the new champ. Could be wrong though.
Yeah, i just wasn't sure if every title holder gets his own belt is all. If that's so, perhaps Floyd felt slighted that the WBO didn't make him one yet, regardless of whether he was planning to vacate or not. It just reeks of Arum going out of his way to annoy Floyd and know it appears that Floyd is going to reciprocate by not officially vacating....at least not until he absolutely has to (or wants to).
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

DSuperman25 wrote:
I'm sure that there is something official that designates a fighter vacating and or being stripped. I have heard nothing from any camp WBO, TR, Arum, or Floyd that depicts that has happened. Merely stating your intentions does not make a title vacant.

I can buy the "Manny's version" belt story, however how long does it really take to get a WBO strap and slap Floyd's name on it if only to placate him and collect sanctioning fees if he chooses to hold on to it for longer than he suggested.
I thought I also read that Floyd had a certain deadline to tell them, but originally missed the deadline before getting an extension after the fact.

As for Manny's version of the belt is the only thing I can think of when it comes to this. Other than that, I think he's just talking for the sake of talking.
DSuperman25

Post by DSuperman25 »

TheSickness316 wrote:
DSuperman25 wrote:

I thought I also read that Floyd had a certain deadline to tell them, but originally missed the deadline before getting an extension after the fact.

As for Manny's version of the belt is the only thing I can think of when it comes to this. Other than that, I think he's just talking for the sake of talking.
In recent interviews Bradley sounds like there is genuine concern and confusion about whether his fight with Vargas is or isnt a championship fight. That for me spells out that its more than just talk. We'll see.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Ya I think I read this on Igiveashit.com. Can't wait for this cat to retire already. He's going to big things in the training and matchmaking world, hopefully, sooner then later.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

DSuperman25 wrote:
TheSickness316 wrote:
DSuperman25 wrote:

In recent interviews Bradley sounds like there is genuine concern and confusion about whether his fight with Vargas is or isnt a championship fight. That for me spells out that its more than just talk. We'll see.
When I mention talk, I mean Floyd saying he never received a belt.
WillieB59

Post by WillieB59 »

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/and-sti ... 3rd-293640

The WBO title isn't vacant. Mayweather's their champ but he has until July 3 to let the WBO know what he intends to do in regards to his titles at 154 and, from what I read in another article, to pay the sanctioning fee he still hasn't paid. If he doesn't do both, he will cease to be the WBO title-holder.

What status Bradley-Vargas has right now is questionable. The WBO could decide to make it for their interim title or just recognize the winner in retrospect if Mayweather abdicates willingly or by default. The latter would be if he doesn't comply with the July 3 deadline.

It's a bunch of BS because either way Mayweather will remain the lineal champ of the welterweight and super welterweight divisions. The Bradley-Vargas winner will be no more of a real champion than Brook or Thurman or Ali Funeka!
RimmyJice

Post by RimmyJice »

WillieB59 wrote:http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/and-sti ... 3rd-293640

The WBO title isn't vacant. Mayweather's their champ but he has until July 3 to let the WBO know what he intends to do in regards to his titles at 154 and, from what I read in another article, to pay the sanctioning fee he still hasn't paid. If he doesn't do both, he will cease to be the WBO title-holder.

What status Bradley-Vargas has right now is questionable. The WBO could decide to make it for their interim title or just recognize the winner in retrospect if Mayweather abdicates willingly or by default. The latter would be if he doesn't comply with the July 3 deadline.

It's a bunch of BS because either way Mayweather will remain the lineal champ of the welterweight and super welterweight divisions. The Bradley-Vargas winner will be no more of a real champion than Brook or Thurman or Ali Funeka!
KSTAT...come on man, you gotta remember to log off your aliases before you post.
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Post by KSTAT124 »

Rimmy, grow up.

Bill (WillieB) is right that the WBO is not vacant. The WBO's June 2015 rankings, as of June 14, were posted on their website this evening. Mayweather is still listed as their welterweight champion. Bradley is still ranked #1 and Vargas is now ranked #4. Juan Manuel Marquez, previously ranked #2, has been removed from the rankings because of prolonged inactivity.

http://www.wboboxing.com/wp-content/upl ... Sheet1.pdf
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Due to the magnitude of the fight Mayweather and the WBO decided floyd could have the belt if he won under the assumption he would give it back after the fight and wouldn't pay sanctioning fees.

After then listing the title vacant Floyd started bitching he was the WBO champ. So they listed him as champ and told hi to pay the sanctioning fee from the Pacquiao fight or the belt would be vacated. My guess is he hasn't paid.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Probably left it at a stripper's house
KSTAT124

Post by KSTAT124 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:Due to the magnitude of the fight Mayweather and the WBO decided floyd could have the belt if he won under the assumption he would give it back after the fight and wouldn't pay sanctioning fees.

After then listing the title vacant Floyd started bitching he was the WBO champ. So they listed him as champ and told hi to pay the sanctioning fee from the Pacquiao fight or the belt would be vacated. My guess is he hasn't paid.
It seems he's forcing them to strip him. He does have until July 3 but as of that date, he'll have one or two less titles. He'll either have the WBC, WBA Unified, and WBO welterweight titles or he'll have the WBC and WBA Unified welterweight titles and the WBA Super and WBC super welterweight titles.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

KSTAT124 wrote:
jeff_lacy_ko wrote:Due to the magnitude of the fight Mayweather and the WBO decided floyd could have the belt if he won under the assumption he would give it back after the fight and wouldn't pay sanctioning fees.

It seems he's forcing them to strip him. He does have until July 3 but as of that date, he'll have one or two less titles. He'll either have the WBC, WBA Unified, and WBO welterweight titles or he'll have the WBC and WBA Unified welterweight titles and the WBA Super and WBC super welterweight titles.
I read what you wrote and instantly thought the WBA is just the worst.
KSTAT124

Post by KSTAT124 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:
KSTAT124 wrote:

I read what you wrote and instantly thought the WBA is just the worst.
They've had the most time to perfect being terrible! But the other sanctioning bodies are all trying too!
theVAMP
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #2 Champ

Post by theVAMP »

Mayweather doesnt want Top Rank to gain control of the WBO belt again. It's been under their banner for over a decade now.

He has it, and probably would like for his fighters to fight for it. Then he can have control of damn near most of the belts since, he has them.

He'll probably relinquish it after the other high ranking fighters that could fight for it have fought already.
DBO
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges

Post by DBO »

After the fight, the belt is exchanged for pictures and ceremonial purposes, but the belts go back to the loser because that is their belt. The new champion receives their own belt some time later. If you look at belts closely, you can see they are personalized with dates of the title win.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

DBO wrote:After the fight, the belt is exchanged for pictures and ceremonial purposes, but the belts go back to the loser because that is their belt. The new champion receives their own belt some time later. If you look at belts closely, you can see they are personalized with dates of the title win.
Yep. I'm surprised the WBO has taken so long to get Floyd his title. You'd think they'd have been right on that, but then again when he said immediately after the fight that he was gonna drop all his titles, maybe they just figured they'd save themselves some dough and not bother :lol:
KSTAT124

Post by KSTAT124 »

The WBO is sanctioning Bradley-Vargas for the interim title:

http://www.boxingscene.com/wbo-mayweath ... rim--92670

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/wbo-say ... tle-295690
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

KSTAT124 wrote:

K-Stat- I have a question for you. Can a current champion pick the two fighters who will fight for a belt the champion wishes to discard. For example this scenario: http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-d ... nce--92683

Has something like what Floyd is suggesting ever taken place that you know of??
KSTAT124

Post by KSTAT124 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:
KSTAT124 wrote:

K-Stat- I have a question for you. Can a current champion pick the two fighters who will fight for a belt the champion wishes to discard. For example this scenario: http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-d ... nce--92683

Has something like what Floyd is suggesting ever taken place that you know of??
Ali retired briefly in 1971 so that the unification bout between WBA world champion Jimmy Ellis and NYSAC world champion Joe Frazier could be for all the marbles- vacant lineal, vacant Ring Magazine, and vacant WBC besides WBA and NYSAC.

Mayweather's proposal that Spence fight for a title he may relinquish is just that- a proposal. A title bout involving Spence would have to be sanctioned by one of the sanctioning bodies. Thurman already holds the WBA world welterweight title (Mayweather's the WBA's Unified welterweight champ) and could make an optional defense against Spence, who the WBA ranks #8, without a problem.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”