Mikey Garcia Vs. Terrance Crawford at 135...

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Vidal

Mikey Garcia Vs. Terrance Crawford at 135...

Post by Vidal »

I hear folks talking about Mikey Garcia being a potential opponent for some top Jr. Welterweights and even Pacquiao. I think a win over Crawford makes Garcia a legit superstar in boxing and would go a long way in shaping out the next generation of superstars. I know Garcia fights is fighting at 130, but he is a big kid and has struggled to make weight in the past- 135 is the logical next step, and a Crawford scrap has all the elements to be a great fight. BTW, I don't think a win is a gimme either- Crawford is legit and deserves his accolades. That said, he was outclassed in the first 4 rounds against Gamboa and a bigger guy with more power like Garcia might give him trouble...
TJB NY

Re: Mikey Garcia Vs. Terrance Crawford at 135...

Post by TJB NY »

Crawford has to deal with Beltran first.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

Crawford fucking murders him.

Why do you want Mikey Garcia to die?
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

Size mismatch. Garcia is small at 130 and is still acclimating to the size difference; he'd be dwarfed at 135. Crawford is too big and too skilled...................
Vidal

Post by Vidal »

gotiye wrote:Size mismatch. Garcia is small at 130 and is still acclimating to the size difference; he'd be dwarfed at 135. Crawford is too big and too skilled...................
Garcia is not all that small, he's struggled to make weight, and he's 5'7 with a pretty decent sized frame. Gamboa was clearly smaller than Crwford and outclassed him for the first fw rounds. If Mikey is to be great, he needs to beat the top dogs and a scrap with Crawford goes a long to way revealing where he's at.
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

Vidal wrote:
gotiye wrote:Size mismatch. Garcia is small at 130 and is still acclimating to the size difference; he'd be dwarfed at 135. Crawford is too big and too skilled...................
Garcia is not all that small, he's struggled to make weight, and he's 5'7 with a pretty decent sized frame. Gamboa was clearly smaller than Crwford and outclassed him for the first fw rounds. If Mikey is to be great, he needs to beat the top dogs and a scrap with Crawford goes a long to way revealing where he's at.
Height has nothing to do with build. Garcia is small for 130. It's been evident in the fights he's had there thus far. He has to rely on his technique more. Crawford is naturally bigger than him and fills out more. Gamboa was too small for 135 but he's explosive, that means nothing compared to Garcia who isn't as fast in comparison. Garcia has skill but he's too small. It'd take him and his team some time to make adjustments to be successful there. Right now he'd lose, he's too small and would lose to the bigger equally technical fighter......................
koolkc107

Post by koolkc107 »

I have all the respect in the world for Mikey Garcia and have had him on my personal top 10 P4P list for quite some time now. But Crawford- who could probably fight at 147 easily- is just too tall an order for him.
"Golovkin has built his reputation saying he will fight anybody. I'm raising my hand. I'm somebody. Let's do it."

-SOG
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

This.
Vidal

Post by Vidal »

ForceFed_231 wrote:
This.
Ridiculous... Garcia is a top 10 P4P fighter who is big for 130 and yet he's too small to fight Crawford?? What is this, the Floyd blueprint?? If Garcia is to become a great fighter, he needs to be able to not only go up against the Crawfords of the world, but he needs to be able to beat them. Whatever happened to fans wanting to see fighters dare to be great? Is this the new era of boxing that we are in where the A side guys take no risks and have every advantage possible inside and outside the ring? No wonder the sport has become such a non factor in main strew athletics... SMH. :roll:
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Post by KSTAT124 »

TJB NY wrote:Crawford has to deal with Beltran first.
I get your point but I don't know if anyone else does. Crawford is going to be fighting for the vacant lineal world lightweight championship against Beltran and the thread is about Crawford fighting the inactive Mikey Garcia.
Vastud75

Post by Vastud75 »

Vidal wrote:I hear folks talking about Mikey Garcia being a potential opponent for some top Jr. Welterweights and even Pacquiao. I think a win over Crawford makes Garcia a legit superstar in boxing and would go a long way in shaping out the next generation of superstars. I know Garcia fights is fighting at 130, but he is a big kid and has struggled to make weight in the past- 135 is the logical next step, and a Crawford scrap has all the elements to be a great fight. BTW, I don't think a win is a gimme either- Crawford is legit and deserves his accolades. That said, he was outclassed in the first 4 rounds against Gamboa and a bigger guy with more power like Garcia might give him trouble...

Those conversations are PURELY BASED on MONEY.. They are not logical scenarios right now. As of now it goes like this if you get your wish.....

Garcia travels to Nebraska, Gets announced as one of the p4p stars in the game, then he proceeds to get his ass whipped all over cornhuskerville... It is most certainly a GIMME win for Crawford, and Team Garcia knows this as they have CLEARLY stated that they want NONE of Crawford. Smart move in my opinion.. Garcia is too fuckin small to fight the bigger and quite possibly MORE skilled Crawford.. Crawford is looking at 140 NOW... Garcia is too small for 135. LOL

" They say you dont know what u doing till u stop doin it,
Well call me clueless, cuz I do this "
BigPhank211

Post by BigPhank211 »

Didn't Crawford beat Mikey twice in the amateurs? Garcia's team knows to steer clear of Terrence.
Two tears in a bucket, I wish ni@@as a pail.
A celebration b!tches, I wish ni@@as Chappelle.
They never caught wind, yet thought that they could sail,
against my Sea World flow. I wish you ni@@as whale!
941jeremy

Post by 941jeremy »

Mikey is not too small nor lacking in the skill department, his inactivity is the only concern. He'll likely finish his career as a welter. Furthermore, not long ago he was being groomed by Arum as a future Pacquiao opponent.
DBO
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges

Post by DBO »

Garcia needs to settle into his weight. I think lightweight is too big for him now possibly ever. I have to take Crawford by stoppage now.
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

Not sure where this size disparity comes from but its ridiculous. They are the same size. When Garcia was at 126 myself and other said he was a lightweight waiting to happen. Crawford is not a welter fighting at 135. This fight is even size wise.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

RASTA666 wrote:Not sure where this size disparity comes from but its ridiculous. They are the same size. When Garcia was at 126 myself and other said he was a lightweight waiting to happen. Crawford is not a welter fighting at 135. This fight is even size wise.
So who you got?
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

yoloswaggy911 wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:Not sure where this size disparity comes from but its ridiculous. They are the same size. When Garcia was at 126 myself and other said he was a lightweight waiting to happen. Crawford is not a welter fighting at 135. This fight is even size wise.
So who you got?
All depends if Crawford engages or not along with ring size etc but I'd probably go with the Nebraskin via a points win but it would not surprise me to see it go the other way or even dare I say a draw.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

Now keep in mind my -5 score last week in the challenge.Image
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

They're not the same size at all. Crawford is naturally a division bigger. Mikey won't fill out that high naturally until he's older. He had some difficulty with the size of the opponents at 130. He's barely settled in there yet, he's still growing into the weight class. If he went to 135 too soon he'd get drawfed. He's not ready for the size difference. At best Mikey walks around 140-145.....................
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

gotiye wrote:
They're not the same size at all. Crawford is naturally a division bigger. Mikey won't fill out that high naturally until he's older. He had some difficulty with the size of the opponents at 130. He's barely settled in there yet, he's still growing into the weight class. If he went to 135 too soon he'd get drawfed. He's not ready for the size difference. At best Mikey walks around 140-145.....................
Sure they are and Garcia looks bigger boned. Same height, same reach as well. There is absolutely no size difference here at all. Garcia has simply been starving himself for 4 years.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

RASTA666 wrote:
gotiye wrote:
Sure they are and Garcia looks bigger boned. Same height, same reach as well. There is absolutely no size difference here at all. Garcia has simply been starving himself for 4 years.
Same height isn't relevant to size. Mikey at this point in time doesn't belong at 135. He's still filling out..................
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

gotiye wrote:
RASTA666 wrote: Sure they are and Garcia looks bigger boned. Same height, same reach as well. There is absolutely no size difference here at all. Garcia has simply been starving himself for 4 years.
Same height isn't relevant to size. Mikey at this point in time doesn't belong at 135. He's still filling out..................
There is simply no size excuse here for either side and the notion of a huge difference which is being put forward in this thread is simply not valid. Most people fight south of where they should be and Garcia is and was one of them. Crawford looks to be as close to a natural 135 fighter as you can get. Like I said there is no size dif and if it exists its meaningless. A pound or 2.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

RASTA666 wrote:
gotiye wrote:
RASTA666 wrote: Sure they are and Garcia looks bigger boned. Same height, same reach as well. There is absolutely no size difference here at all. Garcia has simply been starving himself for 4 years.
There is simply no size excuse here for either side and the notion of a huge difference which is being put forward in this thread is simply not valid. Most people fight south of where they should be and Garcia is and was one of them. Crawford looks to be as close to a natural 135 fighter as you can get. Like I said there is no size dif and if it exists its meaningless. A pound or 2.
Most fighters lose 15lbs to make a weight class in general. It's not a pound or two size difference, it's about a weight class difference. Mikey over the next year will fill out more. He was too big for 126 but he should be able to make 130 without killing himself. He's not ready to fight bigger guys yet, his body right now won't be able to take it. That takes time to get used to fighting bigger fighters in small gloves. Mikey wouldn't do himself any favors just shooting up in weight without knowing some of his limitations. Crawford is more or less a career lightweight who knows how to carry the weight and cut down properly. Mikey would feel too heavy and wouldn't be able to find his timing the way he's used to.
Mikey would need time to learn what adjustments he needs to make in order to peak. Just moving up just to it would be a loss.......................
lakerlegacy1

Post by lakerlegacy1 »

Vidal wrote:
ForceFed_231 wrote:
This.
Ridiculous... Garcia is a top 10 P4P fighter who is big for 130 and yet he's too small to fight Crawford?? What is this, the Floyd blueprint?? If Garcia is to become a great fighter, he needs to be able to not only go up against the Crawfords of the world, but he needs to be able to beat them. Whatever happened to fans wanting to see fighters dare to be great? Is this the new era of boxing that we are in where the A side guys take no risks and have every advantage possible inside and outside the ring? No wonder the sport has become such a non factor in main strew athletics... SMH. :roll:
Give it time. They'll get it done.
DSuperman25

Post by DSuperman25 »

Vidal wrote:I hear folks talking about Mikey Garcia being a potential opponent for some top Jr. Welterweights and even Pacquiao. I think a win over Crawford makes Garcia a legit superstar in boxing and would go a long way in shaping out the next generation of superstars. I know Garcia fights is fighting at 130, but he is a big kid and has struggled to make weight in the past- 135 is the logical next step, and a Crawford scrap has all the elements to be a great fight. BTW, I don't think a win is a gimme either- Crawford is legit and deserves his accolades. That said, he was outclassed in the first 4 rounds against Gamboa and a bigger guy with more power like Garcia might give him trouble...
Neither Mikey or Terrance are stars. They are both really good fighters. So one beating the other while relevant to us, doesn't produce a legit superstar. That being said, it would be a great fight, and I'd love to see it.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”