Boxing History Thread

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Boxing History Thread

Post by straycat »

Last edited by straycat on Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Re: 18 yrs Ago Today

Post by marciano1952 »

Likely the most infamous moment in boxing history
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
straycat

Post by straycat »

Dunno Butler sure has a stake in that claim.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

So you think this happened in 2004
straycat

Post by straycat »

Ok so I jumped the gun here.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
the13r
TTR

Re: 25 Years Ago Today

Post by the13r »

25yrs ago!!
straycat

Post by straycat »

Thx Astor
I always thought Homansky played a fishy part in this whole thang. On the ringside doctors advise a fight could be stopped. Mills Lane initially disqualified Tyson after the first bite. How ever he was swayed by the doc to change his mind. HTF did Homansky figure Holy was not going to be hindered in any kind of way by continuing to fight when his freakin ear lobe had jus been chewed off?
If Prime drops in here maybe he or even KSTAT could clarify on ringside doctors authority to butt in after a fighter has been disqualified.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
straycat

Post by straycat »

As a forethought I think Ratner initiated the action to get Mills to undisqualify Tyson
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

June 29th in Boxing history with clips, Hls, Gifs and Videos:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=66885

Lots of action with ricardo lopez, liston, wlad, carnera, basilio, toney...
the13r
TTR

Re: Boxing History Thread

Post by the13r »

June 30th in Boxing History (Hagler, Walker, Galaxy, Monzon...):
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=66933&p=1482453

It's Mike Tyson's BDay
straycat

Post by straycat »

Tyson brought a lot of excitement to the division, even under Cus's tutelage he was a loose cannon so to speak. Teddy was 86'd as his trainer if you know that story. But once DK got his hands in his business was pretty much his downfall. Had Cus not been so old when he found Mike or had Mike not been so young who knows. I still think at any point in their active careers Holy & Lewis had Mike's #. Losing to Buster, Williams & McBride doesn't happen tho IMO.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Post by KSTAT124 »

straycat wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:28 pm Thx Astor
I always thought Homansky played a fishy part in this whole thang. On the ringside doctors advise a fight could be stopped. Mills Lane initially disqualified Tyson after the first bite. How ever he was swayed by the doc to change his mind. HTF did Homansky figure Holy was not going to be hindered in any kind of way by continuing to fight when his freakin ear lobe had jus been chewed off?
If Prime drops in here maybe he or even KSTAT could clarify on ringside doctors authority to butt in after a fighter has been disqualified.
The ringside physician can only make recommendations. It's up to the referee whether to stop a bout or disqualify a fighter. When commissions get involved during a bout, things can get complicated and/or messy.
straycat

Post by straycat »

KSTAT124 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:26 pm
The ringside physician can only make recommendations. It's up to the referee whether to stop a bout or disqualify a fighter. When commissions get involved during a bout, things can get complicated and/or messy.
Well Mills after seeing the damage done after deducting a point is heard saying he disqualified him. Ratner is then jumping up on the apron and asking if Homansky who was in the ring checking Evander, thinks he could continue. So in essence the situation did get even messier than it already was because it wasn't even 15-20 seconds later and Mike bit Evanders other ear. 🙄🙄
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
KSTAT124

Post by KSTAT124 »

straycat wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:09 am
KSTAT124 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:26 pm
Well Mills after seeing the damage done after deducting a point is heard saying he disqualified him. Ratner is then jumping up on the apron and asking if Homansky who was in the ring checking Evander, thinks he could continue. So in essence the situation did get even messier than it already was because it wasn't even 15-20 seconds later and Mike bit Evanders other ear. 🙄🙄
Even if Tyson didn't bite Holyfield a second time, there was a real problem with Lane being overruled even though Tyson had committed an egregious foul.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

July 4th is one of the richest day in boxing history including footage from 119yrs ago:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15926
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Will always be the day of one of the most savage beatings taken place in a ring…..Dempsey becomes champion as a result
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

I'm working on July 30th and my fav ko of all time is on that day... Julian Jackson ko Drayton and Norris exactly 1 yr later!!
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=68180&p=881293
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”