XFL unveils inaugural schedule for 2020 season

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

XFL unveils inaugural schedule for 2020 season

Post by Primetyme199 »

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27 ... 020-season

The XFL's inaugural season will open Feb. 8 with a game between the D.C. Defenders and Seattle Dragons in Washington, according to a full schedule the league released Tuesday morning. The game will be televised on ABC.

The league's eight teams have been divided into two divisions. They will play five home and five away games between Feb. 8 and April 12, followed by one round of two playoff games April 18-19 and a championship game on April 26.

The schedule was devised in part to work around the NFL's winter and spring events. The opening weekend is the weekend after Super Bowl LIV, and the XFL championship game will take place on the Sunday after the NFL's 2020 draft.

"It's a big moment for us,'' XFL commissioner Oliver Luck said. "We've got great time slots on the weekends. We think it's a well-designed schedule in terms of competitive balance.''

The XFL is owned by WWE chairman Vince McMahon, who has committed $500 million to his second attempt at fielding an alternative football league. The first, also known as the XFL, folded after one season in 2001.

This version of the XFL is run by Luck, who has pledged to avoid gimmicks but has said he wants the XFL to be a faster-paced version of the current game.

Every XFL game in 2020 will be televised by either ABC, ESPN, Fox or FS1. The full schedule can be found here, https://res.cloudinary.com/xfl-producti ... a21651e26c

"If you think about football in this country, I think you'd certainly have to think about ABC and ESPN and Fox with what they do, so I think these are trusted broadcasters, they've broadcast literally hundreds of thousands of NFL games, major college games,'' Luck said. "So their talent that they'll assign will be top-notch talent. So we think there's never been quite honestly a startup league that's had these kinds of windows, this kind of exposure.''
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
jeff_lacy_ko

Re: XFL unveils inaugural schedule for 2020 season

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Fools errand

There arent enough good QBs in the damn NFL... so there sure arent enough to fill out an xfl roster of teams
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:26 pm Fools errand

There arent enough good QBs in the damn NFL... so there sure arent enough to fill out an xfl roster of teams
against less talented defenses the ones not good enough for the NFL may look good... itll be more like the college game id imagine. spread offenses, hurry up and whatnot, could be a way for fringe players to get another look from NFL teams. not a bad thing. if its good people will watch, if not it will fold. options are never bad IMO
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

The smart thing they are doing is not competing with the NFL season wise.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... r-the-xfl/
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

BS

This is the dream of a guy like Tebow. Men who make others look lessor. There will be College guys that will dominate. Perfect opportunity at this level. You can still get the 1% of the 1% that don't get drafted.
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

yoloswaggy911 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:10 am

BS

This is the dream of a guy like Tebow. Men who make others look lessor. There will be College guys that will dominate. Perfect opportunity at this level. You can still get the 1% of the 1% that don't get drafted.
Tell em Yolo!
Somewhere out there is a Bobby Hebert ready to be unearthed 😆
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
Slippery Pete II

Post by Slippery Pete II »

This league will never make any money and go straight into the toilet.

Their big mistake is putting it in cities that already have NFL teams as well as other winter/spring sports (with Seattle being the exception) but even Seattle has an NHL team slated to start playing in 2021.

Dallas - has NFL, NBA and NHL
Tampa - has NFL and NHL
Seattle - has NFL, new NHL team starts next season
LA - has NFL, NBA and NHL
New York - has NFL, NBA and NHL
Houston - has NFL and NBA
Washington, DC - has NFL, NBA and NHL

If you are in a big market you want to watch the best play in any given sport. A secondary team isn't going to cut it.

When college football and the NFL ends, people just move onto other sports. I don't think there's very much room for more football. At some point you begin to saturate the market.

XFL didn't work the first time around and it won't work now.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

Slippery Pete II wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:50 am This league will never make any money and go straight into the toilet.

Their big mistake is putting it in cities that already have NFL teams as well as other winter/spring sports (with Seattle being the exception) but even Seattle has an NHL team slated to start playing in 2021.

Tampa - has NFL and NHL

If you are in a big market you want to watch the best play in any given sport. A secondary team isn't going to cut it.

When college football and the NFL ends, people just move onto other sports. I don't think there's very much room for more football. At some point you begin to saturate the market.

There's a reason certain states don't have professional teams. It's because those leagues know they won't sell there. If the NFL won't go there, why would the XFL?
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Attendance numbers so far:

Week 1: 69,818
Los Angeles Wildcats at Houston Roughnecks — 17,815
Seattle Dragons at DC Defenders — 17,163
Tampa Bay Vipers at New York Guardians — 17,634
St. Louis Battlehawks at Dallas Renegades — 17,206

Week 2: 76,285
New York Guardians at DC Defenders — 15,031
Tampa Bay Vipers at Seattle Dragons — 29,172
Dallas Renegades at LA Wildcats — 14,979
St. Louis Battlehawks at Houston Roughnecks — 17,103

TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

NFL should have their worst team each year play the XFL champs for their spot. Euro soccer relegation style lol
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:16 am Attendance numbers so far:

Not bad considering its an upstart. I mean thats more than most NHL/NBA games
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

TopNotch86 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:25 pm NFL should have their worst team each year play the XFL champs for their spot. Euro soccer relegation style lol
I think the DC Defenders should play the Redskins, winner plays in the NFL.

NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:16 am Attendance numbers so far:

29,172 paid to see a glorified pick up game. The area still can't get the Sonics back. Wtf
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Primetyme199 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:27 pm
TopNotch86 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:25 pm NFL should have their worst team each year play the XFL champs for their spot. Euro soccer relegation style lol
I think the DC Defenders should play the Redskins, winner plays in the NFL.
Lol at the very least a game like that would prob do big numbers. Even if the XFL boys get smooshed
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

Slippery Pete II wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:50 am This league will never make any money and go straight into the toilet.

Tampa - has NFL and NHL

You never know. You may be right but it could happen. It took the AFL 4 different versions of their league before they became viable and ended up joining the NFL.

gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

I just hope it fails again so the world can laugh at Vince McMahon again. The man that is both the best Pro Wrestling promoter of all time, and the man that killed Pro Wrestling all in one.
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

gilgamesh wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:31 pm I just hope it fails again so the world can laugh at Vince McMahon again. The man that is both the best Pro Wrestling promoter of all time, and the man that killed Pro Wrestling all in one.
Now I can get behind that reasoning.

TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

gilgamesh wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:31 pm I just hope it fails again so the world can laugh at Vince McMahon again. The man that is both the best Pro Wrestling promoter of all time, and the man that killed Pro Wrestling all in one.
It's not his fault that incompetent people tried to go up against him in the wrestling business and have failed.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

TheSickness316 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:39 pm
It's not his fault that incompetent people tried to go up against him in the wrestling business and have failed.
No, but it's his fault that the first time a Wrestling promoter ever started to referring to Wrestling as Sports Entertainment, and fun for the whole family instead of sticking to what it had always been.

He killed his own business, and now WWE and Pro Wrestling in general is barely hanging on.

For all the good he's done for Pro Wrestling, and there's certainly been some exciting WWF/E moments to be sure. He's the man more responsible than any other for killing it dead basically.

There'll never be another Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair or Stone Cold because nobody will ever care that much again about Wrestling as it's presented.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

gilgamesh wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:50 pm
TheSickness316 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:39 pm
No, but it's his fault that the first time a Wrestling promoter ever started to referring to Wrestling as Sports Entertainment, and fun for the whole family instead of sticking to what it had always been.

He killed his own business, and now WWE and Pro Wrestling in general is barely hanging on.

For all the good he's done for Pro Wrestling, and there's certainly been some exciting WWF/E moments to be sure. He's the man more responsible than any other for killing it dead basically.

There'll never be another Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair or Stone Cold because nobody will ever care that much again about Wrestling as it's presented.
He was smart for calling it sports entertainment because you can do more. Before he called it sports entertainment, they were under the same rules and regulations as boxing. I mean look at ECW. Look how long it took them to get on pay per view or get a real TV deal because people thought it was real.

If no one cared that much, cities wouldn't be vying to host Wrestlemania. WWE wouldn't have a 1 billion dollar deal with Fox. WWE wouldn't be getting 10+ million each time they put a show on in Saudi Arabia.

Of course people still care. Look at how people are with the Fiend. Look at the reaction Undertaker gets even to this day and he's been there 30 years this November.

What has hurt the wrestling business is there not being a formidable company to push WWE since WCW and ECW both went out of business within a few months of each other.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

I don't care to argue all day about this, I'll just say.

Pro Wrestling as I like it died with Vince McMahon, and Vince was the guy holding the smoking gun or the bloody knife if you prefer.

A big part of the reason why everything fails is that they all try to be WWE Jr. Nobody tries to be WRESTLING like the old days. Which is what a lot of fans want.
TheSickness316

Post by TheSickness316 »

gilgamesh wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:14 pm I don't care to argue all day about this, I'll just say.

Pro Wrestling as I like it died with Vince McMahon, and Vince was the guy holding the smoking gun or the bloody knife if you prefer.

A big part of the reason why everything fails is that they all try to be WWE Jr. Nobody tries to be WRESTLING like the old days. Which is what a lot of fans want.
Which goes back to incompetent people running wrestling companies. They see what WWE succeeded at and just want to do Monkey see Monkey do because they think it's easier to copy instead of doing something different. No one can do what WWE has done. Vince perfected it. But people running wrestling companies are either too stupid or too lazy to get that. And that's not Vince's fault. That's on other people.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”