Loma dropped Pedraza twice & Navarrete defeated Dogboe

Section that includes boxing discussions and other combat sports.
Tocsin

Re: Loma vs Pedraza & Beast Dogboe vs Navarrete •NOW LIVE•

Post by Tocsin »

Loma frustrated me in that fight, right down to the final round where he finished by dancing around the ring instead of finishing Pedraza after the 2 knockdowns.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

118-108 is my card.....Frustrating fight.....
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Ya same score for me but it was a patty-cake fight for the most part and then when Loma has Pedraza looking done he finishes the fight dancing around.

If Mikey isn't any time soon get Loma back at 130 where we have Berhcelt, Tank, Machado...I'm just really not that up for him fighting guys like Crolla (his mandatory I think), Campbell, etc.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Tocsin wrote:Ya same score for me but it was a patty-cake fight for the most part and then when Loma has Pedraza looking done he finishes the fight dancing around.

If Mikey isn't any time soon get Loma back at 130 where we have Berhcelt, Tank, Machado...

Agree, Dont like Loma at 135....even he has said previously its not his best weight....more interesting fights at 130 anyway....

As for the fight, It Felt Like Pedraza did his best to not get stopped, Loma did the Minimum to win...
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Tocsin

Re: Loma dropped Pedraza twice & Navarrete defeated Dogboe

Post by Tocsin »

Seems like Loma could fight the winner of the Commey-Chaniev IBF title fight next. That is on ESPN and Arum says the winner of that for WBA/WBO/IBF titles is the plan.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Edner cherry got robbed against pedraza... pedraza is t in the same league as loma.

Maybe we need to resign ourselves that the superstars are going to be fighting squash matches a lot given the promoter exclusive network deals
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:Edner cherry got robbed against pedraza... pedraza is t in the same league as loma.

Maybe we need to resign ourselves that the superstars are going to be fighting squash matches a lot given the promoter exclusive network deals
You can hardly criticize Loma for his selection of opponents as his selection is based on who holds the LW titles. Only one remaining and that belongs to Garcia. If Loma is true to his word, he wants Garcia next no matter the result of Spence/Garcia. I just hope that Garcia isn't too badly damaged to make that fight happen soon.
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

Cagiva9 wrote:If Loma is true to his word, he wants Garcia next no matter the result of Spence/Garcia.
By which you are saying, after Spence throws Garcia's body in a shallow grave before the 5th round.

I just hope that Garcia isn't too badly damaged to make that fight happen soon.
How long does it usually take to recover from being knocked the fuck out? :D
Based

Post by Based »

I called it with the Loma-Garcia match up. Garcia gets two big fights this year, win or lose vs Spence. If Garcia loses, He'll still gets to fight Loma to unify all the lightweight titles as that fight will get a lot of hype, even with a Garcia losses to Spence because of the size difference excuse. Loma-Garcia has been a no brainer fight to make, both guys will get outrageous purses. It will be even bigger if somehow Garcia beats Spence, which is slim.

Pedraza's speed, size and length gave Loma a lot of fits when he would try to come in for some offense. But i didn't feel like Pedraza came to win the fight, he just tried to keep Loma at bay all night. He threw a lot of punches, but Loma landed all the clean punches even in the rounds Pedraza was out working Loma in. It wasn't a terrible fight, Loma probably won 9-3 or 8-4 plus the KDs. Loma is not a big puncher like Davis so he couldn't finish Pedraza like Davis did, but he breaks down his opponents in the long haul. It's fun to watch. Loma IMO still looks small at 135.

Navarrese put on one helluva performance vs Dogboe. It was fun to watch.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

I was frustrated that Loma didn't press more, but as far as the pitter-pat fest went I felt he was really sharp defensively. CompuBox had Pedraza landing at 11 percent and being outlanded by almost 150 despite throwing more, and that matched the type of fight I saw. Pedraza seemed 'in' most rounds but I really struggled to give him any...Loma pretty much always did a bit more and had the most notable offense of what there was.

Ya, I think with the style match-up this was always bound to end up less decisive than Pedraza-Tank, though I believe it or not I do think Tank is close to Loma's level.
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Post by lurkyshaka »

Pedraza did well early on in terms of not being dominated physically, but though he was posing some stylistic issues, he wasn't winning anything so Loma was never threatened. And as it wore on and Pedraza tired and slowed, he started to get caught with heavier shots and Loma ran away with it physically as well as on the cards.

Loma isn't a fighter who will disregard defense to go and batter people. If he's finding them easy to hit then he'll go after them, but if not then he'll take his time and limit the risks. can't really blame him for that. Its his head and brain on the chopping block.

The better the opposition, the more he's threatened, the better his fights are. It'll take the bigger opposition to physically bother him before we'll see him bring his A game to the table.

I thought Navarrete/Dogboe was a good, close fight that turned into a bit of a beatdown right at the end. I had it even after 10 but Navarrete finished like a train and earned the win. But I didn't see it like the broadcast team who seemingly had Navarrete ahead all the way. I had Dogboe ahead for most of the fight before he got overhauled.

Dogboe obviously needs a good rest and needs to add some more knowledge to his corner team. While Navarrete will never be in a bad fight. His style will always see him trading win, lose or draw.
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

loma not being able to finish a hot dog vendor like pedraza significantly diminishes him in my eyes... overrated overhyped fighter
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

TopNotch86 wrote:loma not being able to finish a hot dog vendor like pedraza significantly diminishes him in my eyes... overrated overhyped fighter

The guy has only been stopped 1 time in a different weight class.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Lol how did Loma's stock drop any lower when you already thought he was trash TN? Like you think of pretty much all European fighters whether they are knockout artists or not.

Loma is more boxer than puncher anyway
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Tocsin wrote:Lol how did Loma's stock drop any lower when you already thought he was trash TN? Like you think of pretty much all European fighters whether they are knockout artists or not.

Just looking for any little thing to throw some criticism....When you Land 35% and the other guy Lands 11%.....Not getting the Stoppage becomes the only thing to complain about....

The fight wasnt the "Magical" Showing we have come to expect from Lomachenko but it was still a clear cut Dominant performance...
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

Tocsin wrote:Lol how did Loma's stock drop any lower when you already thought he was trash TN? Like you think of pretty much all European fighters whether they are knockout artists or not.

not true. i think golovkin is a great fighter. just not as good as canelo. and you cant call yourself "no mas"chenko when you cant stop a 3rd rate club fighter like pedraza
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Loma has maxed out at 135. He turned up the heat in round 7, but Pedraza was too talented of a boxer and had too much heart that night for that tactic to garner Loma the knockout he craved. Not a bad performance considering the shoulder surgery and the style clash, although I feel Loma should've dug to the body earlier and more often if a stoppage is what he sought after.

I think we will see the Ukraine phenom in some challenging fights at lightweight. I might lean Mikey, if he isn't too damaged in the Spence fight. Garcia's power and timing may be too much for Loma. We also have Tank and Berchelt a division lower and Devin Haney and Teofimo Lopez look like the next special fighters at 135 if matched correctly these next 18 months or so.

Props to both champs for their performances.
NoPropaganda 253

the13r wrote:
lightweight
Teofimo Lopez 10 0 0
vs
Mason Menard 34 3 0
vacant NABF Lightweight Title

Lopez won by KTFO
https://uploadir.com/u/ic7sfko1
Has to be the KO of the month and a candidate for the year 2018. The young killer has dynamite in those paws.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

I thought navarette dominated that fight. I had it 9 to 3

Although dogboe should have had a knockdown...
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

I thought navarette dominated that fight. I had it 9 to 3

NoPropaganda 253

marciano1952 wrote:
Tocsin wrote:Ya same score for me but it was a patty-cake fight for the most part and then when Loma has Pedraza looking done he finishes the fight dancing around.

If Mikey isn't any time soon get Loma back at 130 where we have Berhcelt, Tank, Machado...

Agree, Dont like Loma at 135....even he has said previously its not his best weight....more interesting fights at 130 anyway....
Lol.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

As soon as Navarrete saw dogboe applying pressure head down, he adjusted his footwork and timed some very effective uppercuts... that was the early end of this one.
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote:I thought navarette dominated that fight. I had it 9 to 3

____
I dont understand how that didnt get called. Odd.
"My belt says the heavyweight champ of the world!"(Wilder)
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

Garca's and Arum's history has me worried about that fight ever happening (see article below; Garcia beats Loma for me at this point btw). Should Loma stay at 135...and he probably will for now...the most interesting fights apart from MG are probably vs guys who carry big time size advantages....such as Commey..Easter..or maybe Campbell. How does Loma fare if a 5'10 full-blown LW's trying to put it on him? Saldo didnt exactly beat Loma with skill

Personally 130 interests me more should no Garcia fight happen. Berchelt..Tan..and Machado. But perhaps the presence of bigger guys at 135 could still mean interesting fights.

Loma vs Commey for the ibf/wbo/wba in 2019 is my guess for one of Loma's fights next year. On my card Commey beat Easter by 1 but lost to Shafikov. That isn't a great form line but he would be a lot bigger than Loma and could be a problem.

http://www.espn.com.au/boxing/story/_/i ... up-fantasy
Last edited by Tocsin on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

117-111 Nav for me too. He also won hs rounds way bigger than Dogboe won his. That could've easily been stopped in the 11th or 12th. Nav with a massive reach for the weight and some awkward but effective skills. Chin was good too.

It was a fun fight until late on when Dogboe wasn't in it anymore.

Return to “Boxing & Combat Sports Discussions”