Sonoran Turkey Burgers

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

Sonoran Turkey Burgers

Post by chef97 »

Here is another grilling recipe for those of us watching our calories lately.... :D High in flavor and low in fat....

1 1/3 pounds ground turkey breast, the average weight of 1 package
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Small red onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
4 tablespoons honey
1/2 small bell pepper, green finely chopped
1 Fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 teaspoons, ground cumin
1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne hot sauce, several drops (recommended: Tabasco)
2 teaspoons Montreal Steak Seasoning
Olive oil, for drizzling
1/2 pound deli sliced pepper jack cheese
4 crusty kaiser rolls, split
Leaf lettuce

Directions
Chop your garlic and veggies then combine turkey meat, garlic, shallot or onion, thyme, cilantro or parsley, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, cumin, hot pepper sauce,honey and grill seasoning or salt and pepper. Divide mixture into 4 equal mounds then form meat into patties. Drizzle patties with vegetable oil to coat. Cook on med high grill or in skillet over medium high heat for 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Place sliced cheese over the patties in the last 2 minutes of cooking, use 1 or 2 slices for each patty, as you like. Build cooked cheeseburgers onto buns and add other favorite toppings... And as always, happy cooking!
Chef
tmoney1224

Re: Sonoran Turkey Burgers

Post by tmoney1224 »

I almost use ground turkey exclusively now instead of ground beef. This recipe is right up my alley. I will give this one a try soon and give you feedback.

Would you recommend any sauce for the bun, maybe a chipotle mayo or something?
chef97

Post by chef97 »

tmoney1224 wrote:I almost use ground turkey exclusively now instead of ground beef. This recipe is right up my alley. I will give this one a try soon and give you feedback.

Would you recommend any sauce for the bun, maybe a chipotle mayo or something?
Home run!
Chef
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Finally got to make these and they were a smash hit! My S/O and a friend were raving about them! Great flavor profile.

You know I just can't cook a recipe as written, so changes I made:
- Forgot to buy a jalapeno so I left it out.
- Used yellow bell pepper, just like their flavor better (and they were on sale)
- Used sriracha instead of the hot sauce, because I love sriracha and am not a big Tabasco person.
- The packet of ground Turkey I had was only 1lb so I reduced spices accordingly (but didn't measure) but not veggies.
- Added just a small amount of breadcrumbs to help hold it together and keep the burgers moist.
- The boys requested bacon, so burger was topped with pepperjack, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayo

chef97

Post by chef97 »

tmoney1224 wrote:Finally got to make these and they were a smash hit! My S/O and a friend were raving about them! Great flavor profile.

- Used yellow bell pepper, just like their flavor better (and they were on sale)
- Used sriracha instead of the hot sauce, because I love sriracha and am not a big Tabasco person.
- The packet of ground Turkey I had was only 1lb so I reduced spices accordingly (but didn't measure) but not veggies.
- Added just a small amount of breadcrumbs to help hold it together and keep the burgers moist.
- The boys requested bacon, so burger was topped with pepperjack, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayo

Looks amazing and I'll bet just as tasty.... Thanks tmoney!
Chef
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

tmoney1224 wrote:Finally got to make these and they were a smash hit! My S/O and a friend were raving about them! Great flavor profile.

You could have sneaked in some turkey bacon and made it a true low fat/cal/sodium delight lol. Another nice topping my wife has been using on our turkey burgers is sliced avocado. It's a nice mild compliment to the sriracha. We also melt some queso fresco on top. So good. Those burgers look delicious by the way. I think we'll make these on sunday.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
chef97

Post by chef97 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:

You could have sneaked in some turkey bacon and made it a true low fat/cal/sodium delight lol. Another nice topping my wife has been using on our turkey burgers is sliced avocado. It's a nice mild compliment to the sriracha. We also melt some queso fresco on top. So good. Those burgers look delicious by the way. I think we'll make these on sunday.
Nice..... 8)
Chef
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Good tips! It's funny you mention avocado, I was thinking about doing a quick guac for the bottom of the bun, but I forgot to grab an avocado. It would have been a fantastic complement. Did you get a chance to make them this weekend?
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

tmoney1224 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
Good tips! It's funny you mention avocado, I was thinking about doing a quick guac for the bottom of the bun, but I forgot to grab an avocado. It would have been a fantastic complement. Did you get a chance to make them this weekend?
We did, I forgot to thank you. So thanks, they were great!!!
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”