Southern Fried Chicken

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

Southern Fried Chicken

Post by chef97 »

Ingredients
3 eggs
1/3 cup water
About 1 cup hot red pepper sauce (recommended: Frank's Red Hot)
2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon pepper
House seasoning, recipe follows
1 (1 to 2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into pieces
Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil
Directions
In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange. In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Season the chicken with Chef's seasoning and let marinate for at least 15 minutes prior to dipping chicken in egg. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.

Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.

Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer then white meat. It should take dark meat about 13 to 14 minutes, white meat around 8 to 10 minutes. Min internal temperature should reach 165F w/ meat thermometer....

Chef's Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup dry parsley flakes
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months. As always, happy cooking!
Chef
lakerlegacy1

Re: Southern Fried Chicken

Post by lakerlegacy1 »

I have this exact same recipe except the one I have recommends Texas Pete hotsauce..... lol, have yet to try it, will be making southern fried chicken and mash potatoes with hamburger gravy on Friday. :D
chef97

Post by chef97 »

lakerlegacy1 wrote:I have this exact same recipe except the one I have recommends Texas Pete hotsauce..... lol, have yet to try it, will be making southern fried chicken and mash potatoes with hamburger gravy on Friday. :D

That's cool man, please feel free to post/share your recipes here as many recipes are just variations of others.... Many famous Chefs today are recycling recipes and menus from the God of cooking Auguste Escoffier 1846-1936.... Escoffier was a famous French Chef, restaurateur and culinary writer.... Some of the Hotels where he ran his kitchen brigades were The Ritz and The Savoy....
Chef
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

I have made fried chicken a ridiculous amount of times and have tried all kinds of different breading. I think my favorite is as follows:

Again, I barely measure anything so this is all guessing at best:

I usually do about 2 or 3 large chicken breasts, but this can be used for any cut.

#1 Flour Mix:
3/4 Cup Flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp white pepper

#2 Egg Wash
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk

#3 Breading
1 Cup Saltines (crushed medium fine)
1 Cup Unsalted Saltines (crushed medium fine)
2 TBS Cornstarch

Dredge the chicken in the flour mix, then in the Egg Wash, then in the Breading.

I like to fried them in Canola oil at 350 degrees for about 3 minutes a side, then turn down the heat and cover or take them out and finish them in the oven (taking them out of the oil and into the oven seem to get some of the oil out and keeps it nice an crisp) for prob around 15 mins. I usually do the touch test or cut one open to make sure it's done. I use the left over flour mix in the roux for my gravy.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Sounds awesome tmoney! I love the buttermilk and breading mixture you created with the poultry seasoning.... Thanks for sharing your recipes with us! I only wish the folks that try our recipes would provide feedback like yeah this worked and or no this didn't work so well.... :D

Thanks again!
Chef
lakerlegacy1

Post by lakerlegacy1 »

chef97 wrote:Sounds awesome tmoney! I love the buttermilk and breading mixture you created with the poultry seasoning.... Thanks for sharing your recipes with us! I only wish the folks that try our recipes would provide feedback like yeah this worked and or no this didn't work so well.... :D

Thanks again!

So I tried the recipe. First of all, the chicken came out well but here is what I noticed. I made two batches of chicken according to the recipe and instructions except, one was made with the hotsauce for the adults and one without the hotsauce for the children. Both batches tasted exactly the same. In other words adding the hotsauce to the egg did not translate to spicy chicken. The hotsauce could not be tasted. In short, it is better to wait and add the hotsauce after the chicken has been cooked for spicy chicken
chef97

Post by chef97 »

lakerlegacy1 wrote:
chef97 wrote:Sounds awesome tmoney! I love the buttermilk and breading mixture you created with the poultry seasoning.... Thanks for sharing your recipes with us! I only wish the folks that try our recipes would provide feedback like yeah this worked and or no this didn't work so well.... :D

Thanks again!

So I tried the recipe. First of all, the chicken came out well but here is what I noticed. I made two batches of chicken according to the recipe and instructions except, one was made with the hotsauce for the adults and one without the hotsauce for the children. Both batches tasted exactly the same. In other words adding the hotsauce to the egg did not translate to spicy chicken. The hotsauce could not be tasted. In short, it is better to wait and add the hotsauce after the chicken has been cooked for spicy chicken

Did you "add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange"? Mine came out what I thought was a bit spicy as well as a little tangy and savory because of the vinegar in the hot sauce but am kind of wimpy when it comes to real spicy things.... Anyways, thank you for the feedback lakerlegacy1 and do please share some recipes of your own if you can....

Thanks again....
Chef
Caloca

Post by Caloca »

Damn, I'm getting so hungry. I'm trying this recipe.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Okay, so I went to Austin a couple weeks ago and had some of the best fried chicken of my life, so you know I gotta try and replicate that! It was a cornflake chicken tenderloin and it was glorious.

So a couple of the things I did to replicate. Brine the chicken in salt and water. My method was I had around 3lbs of chicken tenderloins. I just heated up about 2 cups of water and dumped in around 1/2-3/4 cup salt. When it was dissolved, I poured into a bowl with ice and when it cooled completely, I threw in all the chicken (just made sure all the chicken was submerged). My plan was to cook some up every hour to see how the brine was penetrating, but after the first hour, it was plenty salty. So I pulled them, rinsed them and the final coating I like the best was:

Cornflakes in a food processor so that it gets fairly fine, not all the way to flour but broken down pretty well. I would say at least 10-15 pulses.

Pat chicken dry
Dredge the chicken in plain flour
Dip into butter milk that has a couple squirts of sriracha
Dip into cornflakes until properly coated
Fry at 350 for approx 6-8 mins

Now the chicken had taken the salt much faster than I thought so I didn't add salt anywhere else, but in the future I would probably pull the chicken earlier and put some salt in the cornflake portion.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”