OT: The beer thread

Food & beverages Discussions
BIGBrandon2785

Re: OT: The beer thread

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

Im just not a beer drinker,but since Budweiser sold out,I drink Miller products.But supposedly we have another great brewery here in St.Louis.................Schlafly Beer.

http://schlafly.com/

P.S.If you want to know about whiskey holler at me :mrgreen:
Bizkit

Post by Bizkit »

Timely thread and response from me. Some of my co-workers in Kentucky had some of BBC's Bourbon Barrel Stout brought to me and was waiting at my desk when I cam in this am.
Bizkit

Post by Bizkit »

I'm really bad about describing the taste, so here is their description...

This complex stout has aromas of bourbon, oak and dark
roasted malts. Full-bodied, silky stout aged in Bourbon
Barrels for 60 to 90 days. The aging process produces
a smoky richness from the deep char of the barrels.
Roasted barley flavors of chocolate and coffee develop
as the stout continues along. Finishing hints of vanilla
and bourbon finds it way down the back of the pallet.
8.5-9.0% ABV 38 IBU
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

regulardude wrote:
You're like a fucking professor, meezy. Teach me!

I've had the Bells Two-Hearted! Corner bar in my neighborhood carries it and it's usually what I go with on draft. Very tasty.

Have you had the Lancaster Milk Stout? That's a really good one. Bit heavy, but good for a cold winter day.
Can't say that I have. Stouts are usually what I gravitate toward, so I'm not sure if they distribute around here. I'll keep an eye out.

Three Floyds is a really good brewery as well. Their Gumballhead is a really cool take on an american wheat. They pull a lot of different character out of the hops (Amarillo I believe) and it is just an interesting, yet tasty beer.

Russian River's Pliney the Elder is another one of those quintessential IPA's (double actually). Beautifully balanced between the citrus, resin, and floral.

I'm going up to Oregon on Christmas break so I am really excited to get to some of those breweries.

If you are really serious duder, and you want to become a real judge check out bjcp.org. They have changed the test up a little bit since I did it a couple years ago, but if you ever want to be a card carrying beer snob, check it out.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Awesome! We are planning on Portland, but we may have to shift to Seattle. My uncle is a pilot for Southwest, so we get to fly super cheap. The only drawback is we only get to fly if their are seats available.

If we get there, it will definitely be on the list of things to do. Anything else we should plan on?
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

regulardude wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:Awesome! We are planning on Portland, but we may have to shift to Seattle. My uncle is a pilot for Southwest, so we get to fly super cheap. The only drawback is we only get to fly if their are seats available.

If we get there, it will definitely be on the list of things to do. Anything else we should plan on?
Yeah, if you do end up hitting Portland, there's a bunch of cool stuff. I got a bit of work to do, but once I get my shit together, I'll PM you with a list of bars/restaurants/sites in Portland. Very fun town.
Thank you much duder.
vladtail

Post by vladtail »

My head is spinning with all these beer suggestions. Oh wait it's not the suggestions, I just drank too many Budweisers again. Carry on.
DBO
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges

Post by DBO »

I don't drink one beer ever. I love variety. I enjoyed a nice Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout in Boston this weekend. It had a nice dark color and the same smokiness you can expect from a stout or porter. However, the finish had a sweeter end hence the oatmeal notes, I guess. It was heavier than most beers, but seemed a tad thinner than Guinness.
Vastud75

Post by Vastud75 »

And to think I was gonna come in here and say Modelo

" They say you dont know what u doing till u stop doin it,
Well call me clueless, cuz I do this "
XKawN

Post by XKawN »

i don't drink often, but when i do it's always mickeys and tequila.... and i drink to get fucked up.
Little Floyd said Novocaine was injected into both of his hands before the bout. Novocaine is an analgesic, which is illegal in WBC title bouts.

http://a.espncdn.com/boxing/columns/graham/1207163.html
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Cerveza de Pacifico is tops as far as Mexican Beer.
Next is Dos Equis Dark.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Got back from Portland a few days ago and got to try a ton of beers. Some of the tops of the trip were:

Deschutes River Ale - Uses some-kind of newly developed hop, but is surprisingly creamy with this interesting malt characteristic that I couldn't quite put my finger on.
Deschutes Red Chair - Very nice pale ale, more complex than most yet very drinkable.
Lucky Lab - Superdog IPA - Your quintessential West Coast IPA. Tons of hop aroma, citrus and a hint of pine.
Cascade Brewing - Honey Ginger Lime Sour - This brewery had a ton of good sours, but this was my favorite just because ginger and lime are two of my favorite flavors.
Double Mountain Brewing - Black Irish - A very nice irish stout.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

regulardude wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:Got back from Portland a few days ago and got to try a ton of beers. Some of the tops of the trip were:

Deschutes River Ale - Uses some-kind of newly developed hop, but is surprisingly creamy with this interesting malt characteristic that I couldn't quite put my finger on.
had a ton of good sours, but this was my favorite just because ginger and lime are two of my favorite flavors.
Double Mountain Brewing - Black Irish - A very nice irish stout.
Gonna try these two you mentioned out.

How was Portland overall, meezy? Have fun? Hit up any of the spots I suggested?

Also, beer question: what's the difference between a hefeweizen, a dunkel, and a dunkelweizen?
Had way too much fun. :lol:

We hit up Powell's which was a giant mistake, I swear we had more books than clothes coming back with us. Awesome place though. We ate at the food carts a couple times. I had this awesome spicy chicken and rice dish. We were going to try and hit up the theater, but decided to keep drinking, lol. Went out to the waterfalls/gorge one day and went to an old school arcade one night and some stripclub next to Baileys tap room the next night. The plane ride home was pretty terrible after all that.

Hefe is a German wheat beer, specific ale yeast is used to drive that character (banana, clove, etc.)
Dunkel is a dark German lager, doesn't use wheat, and a cleaner lager yeast is used.
Dunkelweizen is a dark German wheat beer, an ale yeast, one similar to the Hefe is used.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

regulardude wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:Had way too much fun. :lol:

We hit up Powell's which was a giant mistake, I swear we had more books than clothes coming back with us. Awesome place though. We ate at the food carts a couple times. I had this awesome spicy chicken and rice dish. We were going to try and hit up the theater, but decided to keep drinking, lol. Went out to the waterfalls/gorge one day and went to an old school arcade one night and some stripclub next to Baileys tap room the next night. The plane ride home was pretty terrible after all that.

Hefe is a German wheat beer, specific ale yeast is used to drive that character (banana, clove, etc.)
Dunkel is a dark German lager, doesn't use wheat, and a cleaner lager yeast is used.
Dunkelweizen is a dark German wheat beer, an ale yeast, one similar to the Hefe is used.
Sounds like an awesome time. Yeah, I usually bring a separate empty bag (a backpack) so I can buy books from Powell's and bring 'em back to the east coast. Ha. That place is the best, right?

Hefeweizens are my favorite, but I've been reading about this dunkelweizen and I want to give it a try. Tried a dunkel, but it was sorta "meh." I'm hoping the dunkelweizen is closer to hefe.
Yeah, you're not going to get the character in a dunkel like you would a dunkelweizen; they are completely different on the style spectrum. Dunkel just means dark in German.

At Bailey's tap room I had a pretty decent hefe, Occidental Hefeweizen. You might start trying Saisons when you find them. They have a nice "funk" to them that you might enjoy. Saison Dupont is pretty easy to find in most places and is a nice introduction to the style.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

microbrewery in New Glarus, WI has fantastic beer.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/590

If anyone is ever in Wisconsin I highly recommend drinking their beers. I think President Obama stopped and had one during the campaign too.
straycat
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

It's a Belgian style beer, very malty and a lot of complex yeast phenols and esters (flavors of clove, plum, cherry, pepper, etc.). Very low bitterness. It is going to be fairly sweet, 6-7% alcohol, with a ton of complex flavors. It is a fun style with a lot of different interpretations.

I don't know anything about the one you linked, but Westmalle and Chimay are probably the best known for their Belgians. If you want something to compare it to, either of their dubbels would be a good choice.
WhyteHypeBG
TTR Suppl. Challenge #10 Super Champion

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

tmoney1224 wrote:It's a Belgian style beer, very malty and a lot of complex yeast phenols and esters (flavors of clove, plum, cherry, pepper, etc.). Very low bitterness. It is going to be fairly sweet, 6-7% alcohol, with a ton of complex flavors. It is a fun style with a lot of different interpretations.

I don't know anything about the one you linked, but Westmalle and Chimay are probably the best known for their Belgians. If you want something to compare it to, either of their dubbels would be a good choice.
Chimay makes a damn good brew.

Don't forget that Scrotes Day is April 30th!
Sing All Day, Drink and Sing All Night!
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

regulardude wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:It's a Belgian style beer, very malty and a lot of complex yeast phenols and esters (flavors of clove, plum, cherry, pepper, etc.). Very low bitterness. It is going to be fairly sweet, 6-7% alcohol, with a ton of complex flavors. It is a fun style with a lot of different interpretations.

Sounds perfect for me. Thanks, meezy.

Chimay. Feel like I've seen this one at my beer store.

This one?

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/215/672
Yep, that's the one. Chimay's different types are sorted by color, the red is the dubbel, the white is the triple, the blue is what they call their grand reserve (and probably the most popular).
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

regulardude wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:[

Yep, that's the one. Chimay's different types are sorted by color, the red is the dubbel, the white is the triple, the blue is what they call their grand reserve (and probably the most popular).
What is a triple?
It's another Belgian style. High alcohol, golden appearance, slightly malty, with high yeast character (a bit like the dubbel, but more on the peppery citrus side). Bitterness will be quite a bit higher than the dubbel. It usually has a very dry finish.

Noticed I spelled it wrong; it's tripel not triple.
WhyteHypeBG

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

regulardude wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:[It's another Belgian style. High alcohol, golden appearance, slightly malty, with high yeast character (a bit like the dubbel, but more on the peppery citrus side). Bitterness will be quite a bit higher than the dubbel. It usually has a very dry finish.

Noticed I spelled it wrong; it's tripel not triple.
I was going to spell it tripel, but saw how you spelled it and second-guessed myself.

Yeah, sounds like I'd like the other one better.
Belgians lost the spelling bee.

WhyteHypeBG

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

regulardude wrote:
stenchasaurous wrote:Looks like it's their number 3 quad. The number 2 is Trappistes Rochefort 10, which you should also probably be able to find somewhere around you. The number one is the Trappist Westvleteren 12. Good luck finding that; it's pretty much considered the Holy Grail of beer and is fucking expensive and hard to get. My guess is that in reality, it isn't really any better than either of those other 2.
I'll poke around and see what I can find. There's a good store near my work.

Even though I'm starting to get into the beer snobbery, I'm still not going to pay through the nose for it. There's definitely a limit.
I'd bet the Brickskeller has it.

mattd3742

Post by mattd3742 »

Here are some of my favorites, I tend to lean toward IPA's but I don't discriminate

Dogfish head 90 min
Southern Tier 2X IPA
soutnern tier Pumpking - best pumpkin beer by far
Cigar City - Jai Lai IPA
Bells Two HEArted IPA

There are a ton of great beers out there you just gotta find something you like and not be afraid to try new things. I hated IPAs until I tried Dogfish head 90 min...now as you can see most of my favorites are IPA and double or Imperial IPAs. Beer much like wine your tastes change as you get exposed to more types and qualities.
mattd3742

Post by mattd3742 »

regulardude wrote:
mattd3742 wrote:Here are some of my favorites, I tend to lean toward IPA's but I don't discriminate

Dogfish head 90 min
Southern Tier 2X IPA
soutnern tier Pumpking - best pumpkin beer by far
Cigar City - Jai Lai IPA
Bells Two HEArted IPA

There are a ton of great beers out there you just gotta find something you like and not be afraid to try new things. I hated IPAs until I tried Dogfish head 90 min...now as you can see most of my favorites are IPA and double or Imperial IPAs. Beer much like wine your tastes change as you get exposed to more types and qualities.
I've read about Pumking...you're right, it's supposed to be THE BEST pumpkin beer. I gotta find it.

Bells Two-Hearted is pretty good. They have a winter white ale I just tried this weekend that was decent.
I love pumkin beer, I've tried over 50 and Pumking stands out...tastes just like pumkin pie. They have it in most craft beer stores and in Fl quite a few beer bars even have it on tap....shouldn't be hard to locate.
Woobase
TTR Contributor

Post by Woobase »

threadkiller wrote:Hamms in the can
HAHA...nice. Have a funny "family" story about Hamms...

How about some Carling's Black Label? (Get off the table, Mabel, the quarters for the beer!)

But Duder....come on man, Banana Bread Beer? That is farking gross....just gross. ;)
"We have wasted HISTORY like a bunch of drunks shooting dice back in the men's crapper of the local bar" - Charles Bukowski

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”