OT: The beer thread

Food & beverages Discussions
gomez1012

Re: OT: The beer thread

Post by gomez1012 »

Oatmeal Stout? Never heard of that one before. Does it have an Oatmeal taste?
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Yeah, it is all about the mouthfeel and body with flaked oats, very little flavor imparted. The flaked oats have a ton of starch that when you mash (let sit in hot water) becomes soluble and creates a gelatinous texture. Just think about the times you have cooked oatmeal and how after a short while it becomes sticky and gelatinous. Since we are working with a lot more liquid it doesn't become sticky, it just gives you some of those gelatinous qualities and creates a fantastic body and mouthfeel. One of my favorite beers to make, a milk stout, has a ridiculous amount of flaked oats and barley (also increases body and head retention). It is just a nice thick, rich beer.
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

im getting thirsty :lol:
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

stenchasaurous wrote:The Breakfast stout has oats in it, but it also chocolate and coffee, so I guess you could say it's any of those types. Think it's technically considered an imperial/double stout. Nothing they make in Austin is as good as that beer.
That shit is straight crack. I fucking love it. Founders should pay me for how often I suggest that to others. The only thing imo that comes even remotley close is Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

regulardude wrote: Yeah, it's so thick and chewy. Crazy-good beer.

Gomez, you should snatch up a four-pack of that.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/11757/
Cool. Im going to be on the look out for that.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

stenchasaurous wrote:The Breakfast stout has oats in it, but it also chocolate and coffee, so I guess you could say it's any of those types. Think it's technically considered an imperial/double stout. Nothing they make in Austin is as good as that beer.
Stench is on this, but just wanted to add that a lot of the higher gravity stouts have flaked oats and/or or barley so you if you get one that has that really nice thickness it is more than likely it has flaked oats in in. It's one of those things that oatmeal stout to be call oatmeal stouts have to include it, but many other beers included it as well but are closer to another style. The milk stout I referenced could technically be called a oatmeal stout, but it more closely aligns with the sweet stout because of the lactose and tasting notes.

Also, founders breakfast stout.....*droool*
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

regulardude wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:Yeah, it is all about the mouthfeel and body with flaked oats, very little flavor imparted. The flaked oats have a ton of starch that when you mash (let sit in hot water) becomes soluble and creates a gelatinous texture. Just think about the times you have cooked oatmeal and how after a short while it becomes sticky and gelatinous. Since we are working with a lot more liquid it doesn't become sticky, it just gives you some of those gelatinous qualities and creates a fantastic body and mouthfeel. One of my favorite beers to make, a milk stout, has a ridiculous amount of flaked oats and barley (also increases body and head retention). It is just a nice thick, rich beer.
A good example of that would be Founders Breakfast Stout, right?
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is probably the best example of the style that is widespread.
USMILMAN
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion

Post by USMILMAN »

I've started drinking Blue Moon for some reason. For comercial beer, it is pretty good.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

regulardude wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:[

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is probably the best example of the style that is widespread.
Trader Joe's has an in-house oatmeal stout that is good (for cheap):

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10707/5688/
We don't have Trader Joe's here either....
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

tmoney1224 wrote: We don't have Trader Joe's here either....
I think it's time you move. :D :D
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

stenchasaurous wrote:
regulardude wrote:
Wait, who owns Blue Moon? Coors?
I think so. It's actually not a terrible beer and can be a good introduction to new styles for people getting started.
I try not to give people too much grief over choosing "craft beer" that are from the big boys even though they usually aren't as good as their peers. Everyone starts somewhere and I just hope it leads to a "well if you like blue moon try Hoegaarden". Like that, try St. Bernardus. Then before you know it another full on beer snob is made and world domination can continue it's path.
USMILMAN

Post by USMILMAN »

Lol. I love all types of beer. I like trying anything new and like going to local breweries to try them out.

Put a little clamato in your regular beer. Very good.
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

I grabbed a 6 pack for $7 at BevMo of this Pyramid Outburst IPA

very smooth flavor, 8.5%, def recommend it for a lighter IPA

hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Get it before inbev ruins it.
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

anybody tried the Barleywine brews? Seen the Sierra Nevada one and at a local brewery
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

regulardude wrote:Can someone explain to me (other than the bit I read on Wikipedia) what the Maibock style of beers tastes like?

I once tried Rogue's Dead Guy Ale and didn't care for it.

I'm looking to try another brewery's version (Legend Brewery) and I want to make sure it's not too bitter or too hoppy.
What are you wanting beside the wiki explanation?

My description, but I've only had a few myself as they are not that common of a style for breweries. Malty and complex with very little hops (both aroma and bittering and only to balance). Since they are lagered they should be very clean tasting. Most will be on the sweeter side, but not cloying so. It's a good style, but a hard one to perform because it is such a clean beer so any off flavors and it is not quite right. A lot of other styles you can get away with a little bit more error.
Last edited by tmoney1224 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Happy April 15th to me. I will be enjoying a wide array of delicious craft brews to celebrate starting with my traditional "tax season is finished beer", Boulevard Wheat.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

regulardude wrote:When reviews state a beer has a "dry finish," what does that mean? Also, what is the opposite of a dry [wet?] finish?
When I think of dry finish I think more in wine terms as in it kind of sucks your mouth dry. The way I was always told (as it is usually an off flavor in beer) is to think of it like sucking on a grape. The opposite I guess would just be not-dry as in you don't have that astringency present.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

tmoney1224 wrote:
regulardude wrote:When reviews state a beer has a "dry finish," what does that mean? Also, what is the opposite of a dry [wet?] finish?
When I think of dry finish I think more in wine terms as in it kind of sucks your mouth dry. The way I was always told (as it is usually an off flavor in beer) is to think of it like sucking on a grape. The opposite I guess would just be not-dry as in you don't have that astringency present.
It means that the aftertaste isn't sweet. They call it residual sweetness. Usually sort a tart flavor in wine.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:
It means that the aftertaste isn't sweet. They call it residual sweetness. Usually sort a tart flavor in wine.
I think there is a difference between "not sweet" and dry though. When you say dry I think more it has that drying effect. I've had beers that have very little residual sweetness, but I don't know if I would consider them dry.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

tmoney1224 wrote: I think there is a difference between "not sweet" and dry though. When you say dry I think more it has that drying effect. I've had beers that have very little residual sweetness, but I don't know if I would consider them dry.
Low residual sweetness=Dry by definition.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote: I think there is a difference between "not sweet" and dry though. When you say dry I think more it has that drying effect. I've had beers that have very little residual sweetness, but I don't know if I would consider them dry.
Low residual sweetness=Dry by definition.
I guess I agree with you with the low residual sweetness part. I just think when you define dry as "not sweet" you get into a tough area. There are beers that can come off as sweet (utilizing caramel malts for instance) with still having lower residual sugars. English Milds and Northern Browns come to mind. I think even some of your Lite American Lagers can have a sweetness about them and still be considered "dry" or "crisp". I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think that sweet and dry are mutually exclusive.

Also, I think this is one of those words that I have redefined a bit in my mind. What I would call crisp you would probably refer to as dry. I go more toward the astringency side of things when I think of something being dry.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

I did three beers on Saturday, a Blonde, Amber, and California Common. I haven't brewed for around 8 months so there were some kinks that had to get worked out, but all and all not too bad. They are for a wedding in late June so hopefully I still got it.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

regulardude wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:I did three beers on Saturday, a Blonde, Amber, and California Common. I haven't brewed for around 8 months so there were some kinks that had to get worked out, but all and all not too bad. They are for a wedding in late June so hopefully I still got it.
Good stuff.

What's a California Common taste like?
It's a fun little mix of things. It's a little malty and hoppy (most use a specific hop called Northern Brewer that is woody and minty). The style utilizes a hybrid lager yeast that ferments closer to ale temps, so the higher the fermentation goes the fruitier it gets, but the style is usually just a touch if any. There is a little bit of toast and caramel in there as well and finishes crisp :) and fairly clean (depending on how much fruitiness you give it). It's a session beer that is a bit more interesting that a typical pale ale or lower end amber. Anchor steam is the definition beer of the style and the one my particular recipe was crafted based on.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”