OT: The beer thread

Food & beverages Discussions
tmoney1224

Re: OT: The beer thread

Post by tmoney1224 »

Well, the old keezer crapped out on me, so now that I'm back to brewing again had to get something to replace it. Ended up on this upright freezer and so far (after an unlucky cut through the control wires) it is working well. Will soon be fitted with a drip tray and some cool beer stickers.

the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

tmoney1224 wrote:Well, the old keezer crapped out on me, so now that I'm back to brewing again had to get something to replace it. Ended up on this upright freezer and so far (after an unlucky cut through the control wires) it is working well. Will soon be fitted with a drip tray and some cool beer stickers.

Shit that is cool!!
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/27/scien ... level.html

Interesting (I think anyway) article on some cutting edge science behind creating (breeding) the right yeast for the particular brew you are trying to create. Looking forward to tasting some of these new breeds of beer Image

tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Cagiva9 wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/27/scien ... level.html

Interesting (I think anyway) article on some cutting edge science behind creating (breeding) the right yeast for the particular brew you are trying to create. Looking forward to tasting some of these new breeds of beer.
Very cool. There are already quite a few yeast strains available, although, a lot of brewers only use a handful or so though that they "trust". Yeast can be fickle and there are some really good strains that can be workhorses for all different types of beers. I, for one, wish they would put out a few of their GMO yeast so I could give them a try. This is going to be a really cool innovation in the craft beer world. Thanks for the link.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Any suggestions for the weekend? Been drinking Blue Point Summer's. Looking for something different.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:Any suggestions for the weekend? Been drinking Blue Point Summer's. Looking for something different.
What are you lookin' for, bee? Something light, summer-type drink-a-few-in-one-sitting-type beers?
Yep, exactly. How's Flying Dog Atlantic Ale?? Saw it yesterday but didn't grab it. Drank some Brooklyn Summer instead.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

I tried this the other day from Cost Plus World Market, was next to Best Buy decided to drop in, it was like $8

Nice strong brew, pretty refreshing too on a hot day, and it was a good blend with the whiskey flavor, not overwhelming
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Thanks Gomez. By the way all beer I drink can be considered drink a few in one sitting type of beers, I like to drink.
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:Thanks Gomez. By the way all beer I drink can be considered drink a few in one sitting type of beers, I like to drink.
Thats the only type I drink :lol:
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

I am seriously digging the new offering from Boulevard - Ginger-Lemon Radler. Radlers are a combination of beer and sodas (usually citrus). So think of the best possible way to do a bud light lime :lol: . Perfect summertime poolside drinking.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

@ Duder, had the Old Scratch Amber Lager, The Doggy Style Ale and the Oyster Stout. I will try the underdog Atlantic.I don't recall having that one but I drink a lot.

@ T Money, I'll have to give out a whirl. Thanks. Got some beer snob company coming into town Sunday, I'll pick some up, let you know what the verdict is.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Underdog Atlantic

This was awesome. Big hit with everyone that drank it.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Had some Southampton Publick House Double White Ale yesterday and it was NOT very good. Overrated. Way to big in peppery and orange flavor. Nice pour and aesthetically pleasing to look at.
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:Had some Southampton Publick House Double White Ale yesterday and it was NOT very good. Overrated. Way to big in peppery and orange flavor. Nice pour and aesthetically pleasing to look at.
Double White Ale?

Haven't heard of that before
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

been on a stout kick lately

Laguinitas Imperial Stout
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

I like the Belgium brews

Specifically the ones created in monastery's like Chimay blue and red

Delirium Tremens is another great one. Check those out. Super smooth, super refined. They're a beer for connoisseurs.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

tmoney1224 wrote:I am seriously digging the new offering from Boulevard - Ginger-Lemon Radler. Radlers are a combination of beer and sodas (usually citrus). So think of the best possible way to do a bud light lime :lol: . Perfect summertime poolside drinking.
The only Radler that was @ my local beer distributor was made by Amstel. I bought it and it was a hit with my wife's friends at the beach yesterday. Tasted like soda. Thanks for the suggestion.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Had some Firestone Walker's Easy Jack. It's an IPA for those that don't really like IPA's. It has a higher malt content and it balances out the hops so you don't really that true IPA flavor. It's OK.

Also had some of this: http://bayoutechebrewing.com/our-beers/ ... crevisses/
If you can get your hands on Saison D’Ecrevisses go for it. It's delicious. This little Tappas place my wife and I go to has it for the summer and I've stopped in to grab a pint more than once just cause I had the craving.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote:I've seen that Firestone Walker around, bee. Maybe i'll give it a shot, on your recommendation.
I specifically thought about you when I ordered it. A non IPA, IPA. I thought it was just OK. Didn't wow me. Came home and grabbed a DogFishHead 60 minute IPA out the stash to get my fix.

BTW, did the fall beer's come early this year? I can't score any summer beer anymore. Pumpkin and fall flavors are already in stores. I'm not ready for summer to be over yet lol.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote:
Haha, so funny because that's EXACTLY what I'm thinking (re: fall beers early). My wife came home with a six-pack of Alewerks Pumpkin Ale for me! It's a Virginia-based brewery, so I'm sure you won't see it up your way, but goddamn. It's easily the best pumpkin brew I've ever had.
http://www.beermenus.com/

Sign up here and you can find out how far it is to get any beer you desire. The closest place that I can get that pumpkin beer is 102 miles away in PA. Great resource when searching out beer and shipping restrictions.
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

Had one of these at lunch.

[youtubefullurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcQP0rD3D1A[/youtubefullurl]
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

regulardude wrote:101 North Brewing.

Man, Cali has some great breweries.
So many.

I need to make my way up to Petaluma for Laguinitas and Chico for Sierra Nevada

Brewery tours and tastings are suppose to be great

Some dude at Trader Joes was telling me the restaurant at Laguinitas is damn good. Said the BBQ'd pulled pork the best he's had since moving to the state from the South

hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Just reserved a little speed barrel of Blue Point Toasted Lager for Sunday. :D :D :D :)
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

Drake's Denogginizer Imperial IPA. Solid brew. Love the IPAs

Out of the East Bay here in San Leandro

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”