New 5 Spice Steak & Pepper Stir Fry recipe

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

New 5 Spice Steak & Pepper Stir Fry recipe

Post by chef97 »

This recipe could be in the healthy cooking thread as it is high in flavor and low in fat.... The dish takes only 30 minutes to prepare and will have your taste buds dancing!

Ingredients
Jasmine rice or short grain white rice, 1 to 1 1/2 cups, prepared to package directions
2 cups beef broth or stock, paper container or canned
2 tablespoons wok or clear oil, 1 turn of the pan
1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin or beef tenderloin tips, trimmed, thinly sliced
2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced into 1-inch pieces
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup dry cooking sherry
2 tablespoons Teriyaki Glaze
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder, found on Asian foods aisle of market
Cracked black pepper
3 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle, for garnish
1/2 cup smoked whole almonds, available on snack aisle, for garnish
Directions
Boil water for rice and prepare to package directions.

Place beef broth in a small pot over low heat to warm the liquid.

Heat a wok skillet or pan over medium high heat. Add oil (it will smoke) add meat bits. Stir-fry meat 3 minutes and remove from pan or move off to the side of the wok. Return pan to heat and add peppers and onions. Stir-fry veggies 2 minutes. Add meat back to the pan. Add sherry and stir fry until liquid almost evaporates about 1 minute. Add teriyaki sauce to the pan. Dissolve cornstarch with a ladle of warm beef broth. Add beef broth to the pan, then add cornstarch combined with broth, the five-spice powder and black pepper. Stir sauce until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Adjust seasonings. Add more teriyaki if necessary. Remove stir-fry from heat. Fill dinner bowls with beef stir-fry and top with a scoop of rice. Scoop rice with ice cream scoop to get a rounded ball. By placing rice on top of stir-fry, rice will stay firm and not soak up too much sauce. Garnish with chopped scallions and smoked almonds..... And, as always happy cooking!
Chef
BIGBrandon2785

Re: New 5 Spice Steak & Pepper Stir Fry recipe

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

That sounds killer,I love stir frys.Could I also sub the steak and beef broth for chicken or would the spices not work well??
chef97

Post by chef97 »

BIGBrandon2785 wrote:That sounds killer,I love stir frys.Could I also sub the steak and beef broth for chicken or would the spices not work well??
Chicken would work great with this recipe Brandon and you could sub the beef broth for chicken broth and your suggestion would make it less calories too..... :D
Chef
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Sounds great, gonna have to give it a try with either shrimp or chicken.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”