Offical Healthy Cooking Thread

Food & beverages Discussions
hardcorebee24

Re: Offical Healthy Cooking Thread

Post by hardcorebee24 »

chef97 wrote:I have all the ingredients to make the Tilapia fish tacos so, I'll try out the recipe tonight...... I'm sure they will be good and I like the fact that the fish isn't deep fried and I'll come back to this thread for my review later....... And Wimpy, Tilapia is a farm raised product that is as safe as safe can be if that's what you were worried about.... Further Shrimp and Lobster are bottom feeders too......
As are catfish, flounder, fluke, halibut, haddock, grouper and certain species of edible shark. Not to mention other bigger non bottom feeders feast on bottom feeders and we eat them with no reservation. If someone is concerned with what fish eat they'll be absolutely mortified to see what pigs, cattle, chicken, duck and other farm raised livestock eat. That said, tilapia is a delicious and very affordable white fish that makes perfect tacos. I love a couple of filets that I season with old bay,cayenne pepper, coarse sea salt and cracked black pepper pan sear and serve with brown rice and whatever veggies the veggie stand guy has.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Good points made by Mr. Bee about the fish he cited and that farm raised livestock feedings consist of things so nasty they could make horror stories about them.... Anyways, I did try the fish tacos recipe that gomez posted and they were delicious, even my picky teenage daughter liked them... I did make a different salsa and I'll all post that recipe later if anybody is interested..... I am also going to try the naked bruschetta turkey burgers that Presteezh posted in this healthy cooking thread.......

As always, happy cooking!
Chef
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

Id definitely be interested in the salsa Chef
chef97

Post by chef97 »

gomez1012 wrote:Id definitely be interested in the salsa Chef
Ingredients
1 pound tomatillos, husked, washed and cut into quarters
2 - 4 large jalapeno chiles, stemmed. * Chef's notes* Use food grade gloves or wear plastic baggies when handling fresh chiles
6 cloves fresh garlic, peeled
1 medium onion, cut in half
1/2 cup cold water
2 bunches cilantro, stems and leaves
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Juice of one lime

Directions
Place tomatillos, jalapenos, garlic and onion on a greased sheet pan then put in a preheated oven at 375 and roast in oven for 20 minutes. Then in a blender put tomatillos, jalapenos, garlic and the half onion from pan and water; Puree until just a bit chunky then pour into a large bowl. Then fine dice the remainder of onion and cilantro then fold into the salsa along w/ lime juice and season w/ salt and pepper..... This salsa keeps in the refrigerator, in a covered container, about 3 days and as always, happy cooking!
Chef
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

chef97 wrote:
Ingredients
2 - 4 large jalapeno chiles, stemmed. * Chef's notes* Use food grade gloves or wear plastic baggies when handling fresh chiles
1/2 cup cold water
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Juice of one lime

Directions
Place tomatillos, jalapenos, garlic and onion on a greased sheet pan then put in a preheated oven at 375 and roast in oven for 20 minutes. Then in a blender put tomatillos, jalapenos, garlic and the half onion from pan and water; Puree until just a bit chunky then pour into a large bowl. Then fine dice the remainder of onion and cilantro then fold into the salsa along w/ lime juice and season w/ salt and pepper..... This salsa keeps in the refrigerator, in a covered container, about 3 days and as always, happy cooking!
Nice. Will have to try.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

gomez1012 wrote:
chef97 wrote:
Ingredients
1/2 cup cold water
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Juice of one lime

Directions
Nice. Will have to try.
You can actually make a pretty good salsa by just omitting roasting part and it's a lot more work to roast the veggies... However the extra step makes the sabor (flavor) kinda smokey, more rustic and is well worth the extra work...... 8)
Chef

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”