Warm Shrimp and Spinach Salad with Summer Veggies

Food & beverages Discussions
tmoney1224

Warm Shrimp and Spinach Salad with Summer Veggies

Post by tmoney1224 »

Alright folks, I got a big basket of goodies from a local farmer and this is what I threw together. Turned out pretty nice and very healthy. This is more of a what you got on hand you can use as far as vegetables go, but the beets were pretty key, I thought. Measurements will be estimates so taste as you go.

Meal serves approx two

16 medium-large peeled shrimp
3-4 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil (approx 1 TBS for each step)
1/4 cup white wine
4-5 Fresh Beets (medium)
1 Yellow squash, chopped
1 Jalapeno, minced
1/2 cup onion. chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup white wine (I used a crisp/slightly sweet wine)
1/2 lb Spinach
1 tomato, chopped
1 small cucumber, chopped
Chopped nuts to top (I used almonds, but could use about anthing to give it a little crunch)
Salt and Pepper throughout

In a bowl, add shrimp, olive oil, 1/4 C white wine, pinch of salt and pepper, toss and let marinate around 30mins. While that is going on, place washed, whole beets, squash, and jalapeno on tin foil and toss will olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Fold closed, and throw on grill at medium high heat for 30-40 minutes, or until beets are tender. When beets have about 15 minutes to go, in a skillet, add olive oil, onions, and garlic and saute for around 3 mins on medium/medium high heat, or until onions are tender. Add 1 cup of wine and reduce heat to medium low (bubbling slightly), reduce until about a 3 TBS of liquid remain, add more wine if necessary. Skewer shrimp and place on grill until slight char, about 2 mins a side. When beets and squash are done, peel and chop the beets. When all items are cooked, add spinach to pan, toss to coat, and turn off heat. Add beat mixture, shrimp, tomatoes, cucumber, nuts, salt and pepper to taste, toss and serve.

Notes: The reason I left the beets whole to cook was so they would peel easier. You can peel and chop them first and cut down on the cook time. Don't put the spinach on to early, or it will overcook. Some feta or goat cheese could be a nice addition.

straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Re: Warm Shrimp and Spinach Salad with Summer Veggies

Post by straycat »

That looks awesome "T".
:P
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Awesome tmoney! We probably need a healthy cooking thread ugh? I've been thinking about that.... It was nice when I was a healthcare Chef because I had acess to registered dieticians and I could give them a recipe and they would enter it into a program that would give you the nutrient data for your recipes.... Anyway, it looks delicious tmoney, and thank you very much for posting your recipes!
Chef
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

chef97 wrote:Awesome tmoney! We probably need a healthy cooking thread ugh? I've been thinking about that.... It was nice when I was a healthcare Chef because I had acess to registered dieticians and I could give them a recipe and they would enter it into a program that would give you the nutrient data for your recipes.... Anyway, it looks delicious tmoney, and thank you very much for posting your recipes!
That would be great! I'm trying really hard to use lots of veggies and lower calorie options. I have almost completely eliminated red meat (still have a steak once and a while). I use ground turkey and chicken for most of my ground beef/sausage recipes and don't notice too much of a difference. I can't switch it for my tacos yet, they are just too good, lol.

Now if I could just lay off the sweets and booze. :D
WhyteHypeBG
TTR Suppl. Challenge #10 Super Champion
TTR Suppl. Challenge #10 Super Champion

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

tmoney1224 wrote:That would be great! I'm trying really hard to use lots of veggies and lower calorie options. I have almost completely eliminated red meat (still have a steak once and a while). I use ground turkey and chicken for most of my ground beef/sausage recipes and don't notice too much of a difference. I can't switch it for my tacos yet, they are just too good, lol.

Go kill a few deer this fall, and use the venison. It's approximately the nutritional equivalent of 95% lean ground beef. And, so long as it's not gamey, that shit tastes better than ground beef.

Don't forget that Scrotes Day is April 30th!
Sing All Day, Drink and Sing All Night!
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

WhyteHypeBG wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:That would be great! I'm trying really hard to use lots of veggies and lower calorie options. I have almost completely eliminated red meat (still have a steak once and a while). I use ground turkey and chicken for most of my ground beef/sausage recipes and don't notice too much of a difference. I can't switch it for my tacos yet, they are just too good, lol.

Go kill a few deer this fall, and use the venison. It's approximately the nutritional equivalent of 95% lean ground beef. And, so long as it's not gamey, that shit tastes better than ground beef.
My uncle gets "Beefalo" which is 1/3 buffalo and 2/3 beef.It taste identical,is cheaper and way better for you then beef or even pork.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”