CHEF...BBQ Rib suggestions?

Food & beverages Discussions
Woobase
TTR Contributor

CHEF...BBQ Rib suggestions?

Post by Woobase »

Sorry Chef...I know I inquired about the tremendous Carribbean rub you recommended last year for my reggae fest cook out....but we are going to push that back for Reggae Fest II...lol.

This weekend is the BBQ-Blues-Booze Palooza! HA. All the meat has been purchased, the "fixins", and the 8 CD's created....BUT still need to purchase the bourbon, scotch and beer....

We decided to BBQ the ribs for the Blues party....any recommendations on preparation, BBQ recipe??

Your rub recipe was the freaking hit last year....!

Thanks my friend!!
"We have wasted HISTORY like a bunch of drunks shooting dice back in the men's crapper of the local bar" - Charles Bukowski
WhyteHypeBG
TTR Suppl. Challenge #10 Super Champion
TTR Suppl. Challenge #10 Super Champion

Re: CHEF...BBQ Rib suggestions?

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

Woobase wrote:Sorry Chef...I know I inquired about the tremendous Carribbean rub you recommended last year for my reggae fest cook out....but we are going to push that back for Reggae Fest II...lol.

This weekend is the BBQ-Blues-Booze Palooza! HA. All the meat has been purchased, the "fixins", and the 8 CD's created....BUT still need to purchase the bourbon, scotch and beer....

We decided to BBQ the ribs for the Blues party....any recommendations on preparation, BBQ recipe??

Your rub recipe was the freaking hit last year....!

Thanks my friend!!
What year are you living in?!?!? EIGHT CDs??!??!? Get with the times and get a fuggin' mp3 player and make a playlist.

Don't forget that Scrotes Day is April 30th!
Sing All Day, Drink and Sing All Night!
chef97

Post by chef97 »

If you want to make your own sauce try Chef's not yet famous home made BBQ sauce... Ribs recipe to follow..

1 large onion, finely diced
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 (40 oz) bottle tomato ketchup
1 cup apple cider
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1/8 tsp. mesquite smoke (just a few drops - optional)
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground

In a saucepan, heat the onion, garlic, pepper flakes, and ground cumin in olive oil. Cook until the onions are softened.
Stir in the brown sugar, molasses, ketchup, apple cider, vinegar, and mustard. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes longer. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in a few drops of mesquite smoke flavor if like a smoky flavor (optional).

Pour into a sterilized pint sized canning jar and seal or large tupperware... Keeps, refrigerated for several weeks. If you want to store the BBQ sauce for a longer time (on the shelf) process it in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Makes enough for about 2 pint sized jars. Recipe may be doubled or tripled for canning.

As always, Happy Cooking!
Chef
chef97

Post by chef97 »

4 pounds (1 large slab) Pork or Beef Ribs
2 Tblsp salt
2 oz white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
Chef's Not yet Famous BBQ sauce

Cut the slab into halves. Place the ribs in a large kettle of boiling water. Add the salt, sugar and vinegar. Return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 min. Drain and pat dry. Cover ribs liberally with sauce. Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour prior to grilling. Grill over medium hot coals or gas grill (med high heat), turning and basting frequently with da sauce.... And as always Happy Grilling!
Chef
Woobase
TTR Contributor

Post by Woobase »

WhyteHypeBG wrote: What year are you living in?!?!? EIGHT CDs??!??!? Get with the times and get a fuggin' mp3 player and make a playlist.
Too much work! ;) I do have a MP3 player....with a docking station, but would have to take all of MY music off....I have my work out music, my cutting the grass music, my chilling while grilling music, my walking the dog music...ha.

Come on man...I'm fucking old now....lol.

(Some damn good blues on these 8 CD's though Hype!! lol)
"We have wasted HISTORY like a bunch of drunks shooting dice back in the men's crapper of the local bar" - Charles Bukowski
Woobase
TTR Contributor

Post by Woobase »

chef97 wrote:4 pounds (1 large slab) Pork or Beef Ribs
2 Tblsp salt
2 oz white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar

Cut the slab into halves. Place the ribs in a large kettle of boiling water. Add the salt, sugar and vinegar. Return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 min. Drain and pat dry. Cover ribs liberally with sauce. Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour prior to grilling. Grill over medium hot coals or gas grill (med high heat), turning and basting frequently with da sauce.... And as always Happy Grilling!
AWESOME!! If all goes well, you will have a report come Monday (Sunday = hangover...errr....day of recovery!!)

THANKS A TON CHEF!!!
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

2 Tblsp salt
2 oz white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar

You'd get strung up around here for boiling ribs. :lol:
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

I do my ribs in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours at 250 and then throw them on the grill to just to char them up a bit, basting with sauce often. Delicious.

If you have anyway to smoke them though...
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

2 Tblsp salt
2 oz white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar

Awe man,You cant go around boiling ribs brutha :lol: :lol: :wink: Boiling ribs is a way to get some ribs done quick but for real BBQ, boiling ribs is a no go.Real BBQ is low and slow over a smokey fire,I cook my ribs for 4-6 hours,pork butts from 8-10 and brisket can go from 12-15(15 for burnt ends)heres my rib recipe.

-Season your pork spare or baby back ribs with your favorite rub the night before the cook and
wrap them in plastic wrap.

-Before your cook,build your fire on one side of the pit with charcoal and apple or hickory wood chips or chunks.(try to get your fire to 225-240 or just a medium fire)

-Put your grate back on and place ribs on the opposite side of the fire for indirect heat,cover with lid and let cook for 2 hours.

-After the 2 hours take ribs and place in foil,with a little apple juice.Cover back up and cook for 1.5 hours

-After that,take out of the foil and place back on indirect heat for 1-2 hours

-Last 15 minutes before you remove from the grill,baste with sauce

-Take off and let rest for 10 minutes and grub or if your taking some where else wrap em in foil and transport in a cooler

(Also on a side note,throw a 1/2 roll of breakfast sausage on the grill too with the ribs.After bout 2-3 hours(once its done) crumble it up into your BBQ baked beans
chef97

Post by chef97 »

BIGBrandon2785 wrote:
2 Tblsp salt
2 oz white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar

Awe man,You cant go around boiling ribs brutha :lol: :lol: :wink: Boiling ribs is a way to get some ribs done quick but for real BBQ, boiling ribs is a no go.Real BBQ is low and slow over a smokey fire,I cook my ribs for 4-6 hours,pork butts from 8-10 and brisket can go from 12-15(15 for burnt ends)heres my rib recipe.

-Season your pork spare or baby back ribs with your favorite rub the night before the cook and

-Before your cook,build your fire on one side of the pit with charcoal and apple or hickory wood chips or chunks.(try to get your fire to 225-240 or just a medium fire)

-Put your grate back on and place ribs on the opposite side of the fire for indirect heat,cover with lid and let cook for 2 hours.

-After the 2 hours take ribs and place in foil,with a little apple juice.Cover back up and cook for 1.5 hours

-Take off and let rest for 10 minutes and grub or if your taking some where else wrap em in foil and transport in a cooler

(Also on a side note,throw a 1/2 roll of breakfast sausage on the grill too with the ribs.After bout 2-3 hours(once its done) crumble it up into your BBQ baked beans

Sounds good Brando, I appreciate you sharing you're recipes here.... I do ribs a lot of different ways and a lot of the recipes I post here are not necessarily for expert culinarians... I try to incorporate ingredients that are easily available (folks may have in their cup boards & local grocers) and techniques that aren't too difficult to execute as well as equipment that many of us have around too.... I've known Woo for along time and I'll bet his ribs will be a big hit with his family and friends at his party.... The thing about food is everybody is an expert and a food critic to a certain extent.... Because we all eat food, cook food and go out to eat and critique food.... So, to me it's all good when it comes to food....

Thanks again!
Chef
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

chef97 wrote:
BIGBrandon2785 wrote:
2 Tblsp salt
2 oz white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar

Sounds good Brando, I appreciate you sharing you're recipes here.... I do ribs a lot of different ways and a lot of the recipes I post here are not necessarily for expert culinarians... I try to incorporate ingredients that are easily available (folks may have in their cup boards & local grocers) and techniques that aren't too difficult to execute as well as equipment that many of us have around too.... I've known Woo for along time and I'll bet his ribs will be a big hit with his family and friends at his party.... The thing about food is everybody is an expert and a food critic to a certain extent.... Because we all eat food, cook food and go out to eat and critique food.... So, to me it's all good when it comes to food....

Thanks again!
I can dig it bro,ive cooked many of your recipes and their all great.Hell I still have your Tamale casserole recipe on regular rotation.But when it comes to BBQ,its a hobby of mine that ive spent about 5 years on so far tryin to perfect,thats why I try to incorporate it when I see a opportunity :D It takes a lot of time and patence and me personally,ive found it almost as relaxing as fishing (and hell you can get just as drunk while doing it :lol:).
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Do you have a dedicated smoker Brandon?
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

tmoney1224 wrote:Do you have a dedicated smoker Brandon?
Yeah,I got a big barrel pit that has the fire box on the side of it.Its nothin fancy,I picked it up for 50 bucks on Craigslist.But you can smoke BBQ on any kind of charcoal grill.

Heres my pit
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Good deal man. I keep thinking I might give it a whirl one of these days. The grill I have now is connected into the gas line of our house. Convenient but don't think I would want to smoke anything with it. I'm guessing it would be hard to maintain temperature as well.

Those are just excuses really. If I wanted to do it I could.
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

tmoney1224 wrote:Good deal man. I keep thinking I might give it a whirl one of these days. The grill I have now is connected into the gas line of our house. Convenient but don't think I would want to smoke anything with it. I'm guessing it would be hard to maintain temperature as well.

:lol:

Yeah its not hard,its pretty simple really,you get your fire right and put your grub on and forget it for a few hours.But if your just lookin to get a little smoke flavor to your BBQ and all you got is your gas grill,soak your wood chips in water,then wrap em in foil,poke a few holes in the foil and throw it on the grill.Not really the same but you will get a smokey flavor to your food.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

BIGBrandon2785 wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:Good deal man. I keep thinking I might give it a whirl one of these days. The grill I have now is connected into the gas line of our house. Convenient but don't think I would want to smoke anything with it. I'm guessing it would be hard to maintain temperature as well.

:lol:

Yeah its not hard,its pretty simple really,you get your fire right and put your grub on and forget it for a few hours.But if your just lookin to get a little smoke flavor to your BBQ and all you got is your gas grill,soak your wood chips in water,then wrap em in foil,poke a few holes in the foil and throw it on the grill.Not really the same but you will get a smokey flavor to your food.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try!
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Chef's method works like a machine... I seasoned differently, but I am doing baby backs today and I would like to go back and do some Caribbean flavor - I need to do some searching... but the tenderness of the ribs is what I am anticipating... I used regular spare ribs last time, and I can't but imagine that the baby backs will be that much better :-)

I also have a little spray bottle that I put apple juice in that I use for the grill, and if I have a nice rub or seasoning, sometimes I'll just spray that and forget the sauce... OR I sometimes will spray a bit and then sauce as I sear. Works well for me... but not today. Today we're saucing it up... I can't wait.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Uh-huh!

Summer is officially here... and the ribs are absolutely delicious... notice the bottom left corner where the meat is falling off of the bone literally :-)
Attachments
IMG_00000006.jpg
IMG_00000006.jpg (35.28 KiB) Viewed 5824 times
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Just a guy wrote:Uh-huh!

Summer is officially here... and the ribs are absolutely delicious... notice the bottom left corner where the meat is falling off of the bone literally :-)

I wannna party witchew Just a guy!
Chef
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

Anyone have a decent method for getting the white translucent membrane off the bottom? Im marinating ribs for tomorrow and getting off the membrane takes like 5 minutes a rack. I kind of make a little cut on one of the sides and then to get better grip I use a paper towel to rip it.
"Nice guys finish last. awesome guys finish on her face" - Charlie Sheen
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Big_Billa wrote:Anyone have a decent method for getting the white translucent membrane off the bottom? Im marinating ribs for tomorrow and getting off the membrane takes like 5 minutes a rack. I kind of make a little cut on one of the sides and then to get better grip I use a paper towel to rip it.
Sounds similar to what I do but if you par boil the ribs it comes off a lot easier w/ a pair of tongs.....
Chef
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

Big_Billa wrote:Anyone have a decent method for getting the white translucent membrane off the bottom? Im marinating ribs for tomorrow and getting off the membrane takes like 5 minutes a rack. I kind of make a little cut on one of the sides and then to get better grip I use a paper towel to rip it.
Use a butter knife to peal it up a little,and then use a paper towel to get a grip.Or just ask the butcher,most butchers will do it no questions asked.Also ribs sold as "St.Louis style" ribs already have the membrane and the rib tips removed.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”