2/3 cup fresh pineapple chunks
3/4 cup achiote paste
1/3 cup chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1/4 cup fresh minced garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
Ingredients for tacos:
1 small head of cabbage washed, trimmed and shredded
2 dozen 6" flour tortillas
1 oz per taco of your favorite salsa (I think I have a recipe for salsa on this forum)
6 ea small limes quartered

Directions to marinate meat:
Puree the salt, pineapple, achiote, chipotle, oil and garlic in a blender until a thick paste forms, adding up to 1/4 cup water if necessary. Then rub the paste mixture all over the pork chops and marinate at least one hour prior to grilling....

Then grill the pork chops over medium high heat turning at least once until internal temperatur reaches 145 or until the juices run clear. Then take the cooked Al Pastor pork and dice into 1/2 inch squares and keep warm for service. Warm the tortillas on the grill and place in a warmer or on a plate with foil. To assemble the tacos you just place about 1/3 cup diced pastor meat on your warm tortilla spread some cabbage, then top w/ your fav salsa and squeeze the lime and get your grub on right away.... If you want these tacos to stay authentic then don't put sour cream or cheese on them.... You just need an ice cold Corona to wash them down... :D To make it a quick dinner you could have spanish rice and beans or corn as sides....

As always Happy Cooking!
Chef
tmoney1224

Re: Authentic Al Pastor Tacos

Post by tmoney1224 »

I've been thinking about swapping out chipotle in adobe for that tabasco smoked chipotle sauce. I just feel bad opening that can and using one or two and then throwing them away. Have you tried that stuff? It seems pretty similar.
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

Looks great,im lookin for a good Carne Asada marinade recipe
chef97

Post by chef97 »

tmoney1224 wrote:I've been thinking about swapping out chipotle in adobe for that tabasco smoked chipotle sauce. I just feel bad opening that can and using one or two and then throwing them away. Have you tried that stuff? It seems pretty similar.
It is pretty similar tmoney only the Tabasco variety has a lot of vinegar in it and will change the flavor profile a bit..... But if you like that flavor it's all good... As for throwing the can away, don't do that.... What I do is pour the remaining chipotle chiles in adobo sauce into a zip-lock baggie and throw it in the freezer for next time.... :D
Chef
kewlmodee

Post by kewlmodee »

I made these (and some shredded chicken tacos) for the Mayweather vs Maidana 2 fight party this past Saturday. It was ALL gone by the end of the fight. A big hit with my crew!
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

Easier recipe

1) Go to your local Carniceria
2) Buy Al Pastor meat and tortillas (dont forget beer, queso fresco, chips, and salsa)
3) Grill and enjoy!

Hahaha
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

gomez1012 wrote:Easier recipe

1) Go to your local Carniceria
2) Buy Al Pastor meat and tortillas (dont forget beer, queso fresco, chips, and salsa)
3) Grill and enjoy!

Hahaha

They're not in Califas like us, gomez.

They don't have 3 mercados every block. :lol:
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

J.J.Dillon wrote: They're not in Califas like us, gomez.

They don't have 3 mercados every block. :lol:
:lol: :lol:
chef97

Post by chef97 »

kewlmodee wrote:I made these (and some shredded chicken tacos) for the Mayweather vs Maidana 2 fight party this past Saturday. It was ALL gone by the end of the fight. A big hit with my crew!
I'm glad you tried the recipe and your friends liked it and thanks for the feedback!
Chef
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

I have frozen boneless thigh pieces that are cut too small to grill.
There a simple way to make fajitas?
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

straycat wrote:I have frozen boneless thigh pieces that are cut too small to grill.
There a simple way to make fajitas?
Yes, brother Stray... In this case you can marinate then place the meat in a baking dish and either put in your oven at 400F for about 18 min per lb. or if your oven has a broiler about 7 minutes per lb...... I enjoy marinated / charred mammal flesh of all kinds and sometimes you just can't fire up your BBQ for whatever reason, so we have to improvise..... :D
Chef
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

chef97 wrote:Ingredients for meat:
2 LB boneless pork loin chops
2 tablespoons salt
2/3 cup fresh pineapple chunks
3/4 cup achiote paste
1/3 cup chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1/4 cup fresh minced garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
Ingredients for tacos:
1 small head of cabbage washed, trimmed and shredded
2 dozen 6" flour tortillas
1 oz per taco of your favorite salsa (I think I have a recipe for salsa on this forum)
6 ea small limes quartered

Directions to marinate meat:
Puree the salt, pineapple, achiote, chipotle, oil and garlic in a blender until a thick paste forms, adding up to 1/4 cup water if necessary. Then rub the paste mixture all over the pork chops and marinate at least one hour prior to grilling....

Then grill the pork chops over medium high heat turning at least once until internal temperatur reaches 145 or until the juices run clear. Then take the cooked Al Pastor pork and dice into 1/2 inch squares and keep warm for service. Warm the tortillas on the grill and place in a warmer or on a plate with foil. To assemble the tacos you just place about 1/3 cup diced pastor meat on your warm tortilla spread some cabbage, then top w/ your fav salsa and squeeze the lime and get your grub on right away.... If you want these tacos to stay authentic then don't put sour cream or cheese on them.... You just need an ice cold Corona to wash them down... :D To make it a quick dinner you could have spanish rice and beans or corn as sides....

As always Happy Cooking!

These sound heavenly!
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

Al Pastor is a Mexican creation inspired by Lebanese immigrants and Shawarma.

Funny to think they took their concept which was generally lamb, and said 'Fuck, this is good, let's try it with pork!'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_pastor

interesting read up on the origins of Al Pastor tacos.

The dish has been recently reintroduced to the Arabs, basically calling it 'Mexican style shawarma', but using chicken.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”