5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 small can diced green chiles
6 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 small can tomato paste (use name brand)
1 (12-ounce) bottle dark or brown beer (I used Becks but you can use your favorite beer)
2 ounces tequila
3 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
5 cups beef stock
1/4 cup to 6 tablespooons corn starch/water slurry
Chopped fresh cilantro leaves, garnish
Finely chopped white onions, garnish
Sour cream, garnish
Fresh hot cornbread, accompaniment

Directions
*NOTE: When working with chile peppers, always wear rubber gloves and be careful not to touch your eyes or skin. Wash all utensils and cutting surfaces well with hot, soapy water before proceeding.

In a large heavy pot (such as a cast iron Dutch oven), heat the oil over high heat. Add the meat and sear, stirring, until no longer pink. Lower the heat to medium-high. Add the onions, jalapenos, garlic, chiles, and chili powder, and cook, stirring constantly, until the onions are wilted and start to color, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the beer and tequila and cook, stirring, to deglaze the pan. Add the chipotles and adobo sauce and the stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the meat is very tender, 2 to 3 hours, adding the remaining cup of stock as needed if the chili becomes too dry or thick. When the meat is tender and the chili is ready to add corn starch water slurry to thicken as desired.... Stir well and cook a couple more minutes and it's ready to serve.... Remove from the heat and correct the seasoning, to taste. Skim any fat from the surface.

Ladle into bowls and garnish each with cilantro, chopped onions, and a dollop of sour cream. Serve with hot cornbread and as always, Happy Cooking!
Chef
XKawN

Post by XKawN »

gonna give this a try real soon, chef. perfect weather for it here in norcal right now, thanks...
Little Floyd said Novocaine was injected into both of his hands before the bout. Novocaine is an analgesic, which is illegal in WBC title bouts.

http://a.espncdn.com/boxing/columns/graham/1207163.html
gomez1012

Re: Brown Beer Chili

Post by gomez1012 »

Sounds good!!!!

About to throw a Negra Modelo in there to go with the Tequila
chef97

Post by chef97 »

gomez1012 wrote:Sounds good!!!!

About to throw a Negra Modelo in there to go with the Tequila
Atta baby! #GNN
Chef
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Bump this thread as I'm making this recipe today.... As the weather gets cooler and you have more time to cook Sundays are best for this recipe... Making corn bread muffins as an accompaniment and yes sometimes chef's use boxed corn bread mix too.... :D A nice bowl of savory, spicy chili, a cold beer and watching the NFL on any Sunday can't be beat.... As always, happy cooking!
Chef
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Bumped this thread yet again! Making this recipe for today's NFL playoff action sort of.... I'm tweaking the recipe a bit as I'm sub the beef for a couple of center cut loin pork chops I had in a zip lock in the freezer and am using Heineken Dark beer and I don't have anymore tequila.... Oh well, I'm sure it will be good just the same.... As always happy cooking! :)
Chef

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”