Brown Beer Beef Stew recipe

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

Brown Beer Beef Stew recipe

Post by chef97 »

Here is a good dish for winter time it will warm your house up a bit and warm your soul a bit too....

Ingredients
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus 1 teaspoon
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 pounds top or bottom round roast, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 large onion, sliced, about 3 cups
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer, brown ale or dark beer (recommended: Newcastle or Becks dark)
3 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon thyme
1 pound baby red skinned potatoes, halved or quartered if large
3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 8 ounces)
1 teaspoon unsalted butter, melted
Chopped fresh parsley leaves, optional
1. Combine 2 tablespoons flour and paprika in a large bowl; add the beef chunks. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Toss well to coat evenly. Heat a large heavy bottom pot over medium heat, and add the oil. Brown the meat, in batches, taking care not to crowd the pan, turning to sear all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes per batch. Transfer the beef with a slotted spoon to a plate.

3. Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally until just soft, 5 to 7 minutes, adding a few tablespoons water if the pot gets too dark or begins to burn. Add the beer, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Stir in the broth, molasses and thyme.

4. Return the beef and any accumulated juices to the pot. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the beef is tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Add the potatoes, carrots ; continue to simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender but not mushy, about 40 minutes more.

5. Stir together the remaining 1 teaspoon flour and melted butter to make a paste. Stir the flour mixture into the stew and simmer until the broth is slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. If desired, sprinkle with parsley. Transfer stew to a serving bowl and serve.

Corn bread or biscuits go good with this stew and as always Happy Cooking!
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

i think i'll do this one early this week chef
Astor
TTR

Post by Astor »

I tossed the meat in paprika and flour prior to browning the meat in the creuset, in olive oil
http://neo.6pix.fr/1324337133/bfvs1/63/1139002203.jpg
Scapp:
"A champion, a true champion is to take on all capable challengers. A true champion defends his title, and looks for matches that pose a threat in order to prove to the world he deserves to be called the best of the best."

"Man, it really felt good to be home and some of my family and grandkids were here so we had a very pleasant evening. Again, thanks for all of the encouragement and kind words. You are truly a great bunch of friends."
Astor
TTR

Post by Astor »

The meat aside ready while I let the onion caramelize...
http://www.imagup.com/data/1139002944.html
http://www.imagup.com/data/1139003189.html
Scapp:
"A champion, a true champion is to take on all capable challengers. A true champion defends his title, and looks for matches that pose a threat in order to prove to the world he deserves to be called the best of the best."

"Man, it really felt good to be home and some of my family and grandkids were here so we had a very pleasant evening. Again, thanks for all of the encouragement and kind words. You are truly a great bunch of friends."
Astor
TTR

Post by Astor »

Deglazing part with the beer, getting all the caramelized meat juices and onions mixed in this beer...
http://www.imagup.com/data/1139003379.html
Scapp:

Astor
TTR

Post by Astor »

Scapp:

chef97

Post by chef97 »

Astor wrote:Final results, quick snack
http://www.imagup.com/data/1139008288.html
Awesome Astor! It looks delicious and I bet it was too... :D
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

very very good, me and mylene really enjoyed it

fresh herbs really make the difference!

it's the perfect reciepe for this time of the year too

THANKS A LOT CHEF!!!

can't wait to eat some again in my lunch!
chef97

Re: Brown Beer Beef Stew recipe

Post by chef97 »

I bumped this recipe because I made a pot of this stew today and I used 1 bottle of Becks dark beer.... I made some honey corn bread w/ mine no special recipe for that as I just bought a box of cornbread mix and added milk, egg and margarine.... Even chef's bake outta the box sometimes... :D
Chef

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”