Chef, need idea for Turkey leftovers

Food & beverages Discussions
DBO
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges
Only DBO & Marciano have won All 3 Challenges

Chef, need idea for Turkey leftovers

Post by DBO »

Do the carcasses make for good soup as I hear, etc?

When you have a moment?
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

Thanksgiving sandwiches are always pretty good.

Take a loaf of Italian bread, heat up the turkey, gravy, stuffing, etc. and after you cut the loaf of bread smear some stuffing on one side, maybe some cranberry sauce as well. Then layer it with turkey and drizzle some left over gravy on top. You can throw a bunch of other stuff in there if you have it, and its actually not a bad sandwich.
"Nice guys finish last. awesome guys finish on her face" - Charlie Sheen
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Turkey noodle soup, turkey and dumplings, turkey pot pie; those are my go to leftover chicken or turkey meals. I go by memory and don't have a written down recipe, but I'm sure there are a bunch on the internet and you can suite to your taste.

I usually just break down the carcass and boil it with some onions, celery, and herbs for a while, then strain, let cool, and scoop off the fat. Use any of the above suggestions and you are golden.
the13r
TTR

Re:

Post by the13r »

tmoney1224 wrote: I usually just break down the carcass and boil it with some onions, celery, and herbs for a while, then strain, let cool, and scoop off the fat. Use any of the above suggestions and you are golden.

i then freeze the broth it does so it gives me a good healthy base to start or de-glaze receipes... you can also start a quick soup from it

to add flavor, after i sift all the broth and i'm left with the over-cooked veggies and bones... i take the veggies and squeeze them to get all the juices from them out and add it to the broth... the broth won't be as clear, but much more flavorful
tmoney1224

Re: Re:

Post by tmoney1224 »

the13r wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote: I usually just break down the carcass and boil it with some onions, celery, and herbs for a while, then strain, let cool, and scoop off the fat. Use any of the above suggestions and you are golden.

i then freeze the broth it does so it gives me a good healthy base to start or de-glaze receipes... you can also start a quick soup from it

to add flavor, after i sift all the broth and i'm left with the over-cooked veggies and bones... i take the veggies and squeeze them to get all the juices from them out and add it to the broth... the broth won't be as clear, but much more flavorful
Ooohhhh, good tip Astor!
chef97

Re: Chef, need idea for Turkey leftovers

Post by chef97 »

I have a great recipe for Penne Turkey Alfredo made with left over Turkey meat and has chopped fresh tomatoes and capers for garnish.... I will post this recipe if anybody is interested....
Chef
chef97

Post by chef97 »

chef97 wrote:I have a great recipe for Penne Turkey Alfredo made with left over Turkey meat and has chopped fresh tomatoes and capers for garnish.... I will post this recipe if anybody is interested....
Turkey Penne Alfredo
Kosher salt
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 zucchini, thinly sliced into half-moons
1 LB leftover Turkey meat
Freshly ground pepper
12 ounces Penne pasta
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cup cold low-fat milk (1%)
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup freshly grated Mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup capers
1/4 cup fresh diced tomatoes

Directions
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil Cook the pasta in the boiling water as the label directs. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water; return the pasta to the pot.Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick deep skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add the zucchini, then add Turkey pieces cover and cook until tender, stirring, about 6 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk the flour and low-fat milk in a bowl Add the flour-milk mixture and bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add the evaporated milk and heavy cream, add both of the cheeses and nutmeg and black pepper; stir to melt, 1 minute. Toss with the pasta, sauce, zucchini, Turkey and garnish with the fresh diced tomatoes and capers and parsley... You can also add a sprinkle of more fresh grated Parmesan cheese if you like.... And as always, happy cooking!
Chef
kinggrissly

Post by kinggrissly »

How about turkey salad, chicken salad's snobbier cousin? Chop up the scraps and mix them up with some mayo and cranberries (chef might know the best way to get leftover cranberry sauce in on the deal). Delicious on a sandwich or platter.
NOT MY PRESIDENT
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

ImageImageImage

Ok so here is what i do

CHICKEN A LA KING
I buy the pastries...(usualy comes in pack of 6)
and make the sauce myself. I'll post the easy version though
I do a huge batch of Chicken a la king sauce so after eating a supper of chicken a la king, i use the rest of the sauce to make chicken pies that i can then freeze and use as supper when i don't feel like cooking supper...

EASY VERSION OF THE SAUCE:
•Use a few "a la king" sauce in powder sachets...
(http://www.africanhut.com/images/product/1621l.jpg)
If you feel confortable with doing your own bechamel (looks harder than it is), then maek a big batch of bechamel (cooking flour with butter, once it becomes thick, add milk...)
•In another Pan start cooking vegetables that you will add to the "a la king" sauce (bechamel)... i use a frozen mix of vegetables... easier... it's a mix of green beans and baby carrots (image here: http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/im ... r-froz.jpg)... i try to cut the green beans in inch lenght and carrots in half inch lenght before "sautéing" in butter. i'll also add some frozen green peas... Once the vegetables are slightly cooked (loss their frozen taste and are now cooked outside in butter), i'll mix that in the "a la king" sauce (bechamel) and will also add the turkey bite size chunks...
•i'll then sauté some mushrooms (i cut then in 4... in quarters... not in slices... more texture once cooked)... and some bell peppers (yellow for sweetness and color if possible) and i'll add that to the "a la king" sauce that will be ready to serve once the carrots are fully cooked...

SO you can then serve that sauce in the chiken a la king pastries.. .it's very good with mashed potatoes on the side... i add a little savory to the potatoes and also a very very finely diced small onion... the onion is cut so small that it almost melts in the potatoe but gives it a good taste...

So once you have eaten a good turkey a la king supper, you can then use the remaining portion of sauce to make turkey pies...

to make it easy, you can just buy the tenderflake bottom pie crusts that come with the aluminum plate and buy pillsburry top crusts... fill the crusts and freeze to savour a top notch supper this winter when you don't feel like cooking!!

here is how i use my turkey left overs!
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Left over Turkey dinner is fine by me, means I am going down the block to moms house in a few hours. :P
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

the13r wrote:ImageImageImage

Ok so here is what i do

CHICKEN A LA KING
I buy the pastries...(usualy comes in pack of 6)
and make the sauce myself. I'll post the easy version though
I do a huge batch of Chicken a la king sauce so after eating a supper of chicken a la king, i use the rest of the sauce to make chicken pies that i can then freeze and use as supper when i don't feel like cooking supper...

EASY VERSION OF THE SAUCE:
•Use a few "a la king" sauce in powder sachets...
(http://www.africanhut.com/images/product/1621l.jpg)
If you feel confortable with doing your own bechamel (looks harder than it is), then maek a big batch of bechamel (cooking flour with butter, once it becomes thick, add milk...)
•In another Pan start cooking vegetables that you will add to the "a la king" sauce (bechamel)... i use a frozen mix of vegetables... easier... it's a mix of green beans and baby carrots (image here: http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/im ... r-froz.jpg)... i try to cut the green beans in inch lenght and carrots in half inch lenght before "sautéing" in butter. i'll also add some frozen green peas... Once the vegetables are slightly cooked (loss their frozen taste and are now cooked outside in butter), i'll mix that in the "a la king" sauce (bechamel) and will also add the turkey bite size chunks...
•i'll then sauté some mushrooms (i cut then in 4... in quarters... not in slices... more texture once cooked)... and i'll add that to the "a la king" sauce that will be ready to serve once the carrots are fully cooked...

SO you can then serve that sauce in the chiken a la king pastries.. .it's very good with mashed potatoes on the side... i add a little savory to the potatoes and also a very very finely diced small onion... the onion is cut so small that it almost melts in the potatoe but gives it a good taste...

So once you have eaten a good turkey a la king supper, you can then use the remaining portion of sauce to make turkey pies...

to make it easy, you can just buy the tenderflake bottom pie crusts that come with the aluminum plate and buy pillsburry top crusts... fill the crusts and freeze to savour a top notch supper this winter when you don't feel like cooking!!

here is how i use my turkey left overs!

Awesome!!!!! A lot of us folks here don't have a lot of time to cook after work.... so after eating a supper of chicken a la king, i use the rest of the sauce to make chicken pies that i can then freeze and use as supper when i don't feel like cooking supper...
So, this is terrific advice!
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

bought two birds so i'm putting the plan in action lol
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

1 Bird is cooked!
Ate my turkey meal last night with russell sprouts...

Tonight i'm eating turkey à la king and making some turkey pies to freeze
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

ate turkey for supper this week, then ate 2 suppers of turkey à la king, and made 7 turkey pies!!

all from a 10 pounds turkey

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”