Simple Herb Roasted Chicken w/ redskin potatoes

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

Simple Herb Roasted Chicken w/ redskin potatoes

Post by chef97 »

Here is a simple recipe for roast chicken w/ potatoes.... Cooking w/ fresh herbs is the best but you can use dry herbs for this recipe too...

Ingredients

1 (3 1/2-pound) chicken
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
1 tablespoon Kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, stems reserved
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves, stems reserved
2 large onions, thickly sliced
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
2 cups baby red skin potatoes washed and cut in half
2 ribs celery, ends trimmed
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon Olive oil, to drizzle, optional

Proceedure

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Rinse the chicken well inside and out with water and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the chicken all over with the olive oil and season inside and out with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the thyme and rosemary and garlic all over the chicken and place the reserved stems inside the chicken cavity. Arrange the onion slices, carrots, potatoes, celery and bay leaf in the bottom of a small roasting pan in such a way as to make a bed for the chicken to lie on. Place the chicken on the bed of vegetables, breast side up, and roast in the oven until the skin is golden brown, 30 to 45 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F and continue to roast until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear, 30 to 45 minutes longer. If you have a meat thermometer the internal temperature should reach 165 F...

Remove the chicken from the oven and set aside to rest for 10 minutes before carving.

When ready to serve the chicken, carve into 8 pieces and serve, drizzled with olive oil to taste. Garnish with fresh herb sprigs and as always happy cooking!
Chef
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

I made something similar to this last night and it was amazing. I put garlic, lemon slices, fresh sage, thyme, and rosemary into the cavity. Outside of the bird was olive oil, sea salt, and pepper, very liberally applied. Cooked breast side up at 500degrees for about 25 minutes, flipped and cooked at 350 degrees until breast was 155 degrees (around 45 minutes) at let sit in the oven turned off for around 20 minutes or until breast is 165 degrees.

As the side I cubed some sweet potatoes, added chopped onion, rosemary, salt and pepper, and olive oil. Place on the same baking sheet as the bird and let them cook in the juices from the bird after the flip, approx 45 minutes. Absolutely delicious.
the13r
TTR

Re: Simple Herb Roasted Chicken w/ redskin potatoes

Post by the13r »

Receipe Mylene made inspired from yours

before cooking

after cooking
chef97

Post by chef97 »

the13r wrote:Receipe Mylene made inspired from yours

before cooking

after cooking

Awesome! Looks delicious Astor! A nice wine pairing could be a California Chardonnay or Pinot Griggio....
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

it's a great receipe chef, and imo great as long as herbs used are fresh...

i had fresh chive and tarragon in the garden so used that and it was delicious!!

always liked chicken and tarragon...

I have a receipe with chicken cutlet and creamy tarragon sauce... it's a "high end" meal that is rarely seen even in classy restaurants and is relatively simple and great tasting...

i like to serve it with a side of linguini with parsley on it
and a side or peas mixed with julienne cut carrots and turnip with orange zests on it

Your receipe with my twist became a quick way of getting chicken tarragon without the complications of doing the creamy sauce and all...

Thanks again chef for submitting this receipe!
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

I'm going to roast up a chicken tonight. I put a dry brine of just sea salt on it last night after hearing a few people discuss it. I will be sticking with a recipe similar to chefs. I've heard some people say I should rinse of the brine before cooking and others say no. Anybody have any experience?
chef97

Post by chef97 »

tmoney1224 wrote:I'm going to roast up a chicken tonight. I put a dry brine of just sea salt on it last night after hearing a few people discuss it. I will be sticking with a recipe similar to chefs. I've heard some people say I should rinse of the brine before cooking and others say no. Anybody have any experience?

I would rinse the chicken tmoney because the brine saturated the meat already which will make the finished product nice and savory.... While leaving the brine on may make your dish a bit salty.... :D As always, happy cooking!
Chef
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

chef97 wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:I'm going to roast up a chicken tonight. I put a dry brine of just sea salt on it last night after hearing a few people discuss it. I will be sticking with a recipe similar to chefs. I've heard some people say I should rinse of the brine before cooking and others say no. Anybody have any experience?

I would rinse the chicken tmoney because the brine saturated the meat already which will make the finished product nice and savory.... While leaving the brine on may make your dish a bit salty.... :D As always, happy cooking!
Thanks chef, that was the way I was leaning.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Wasn't real happy with the finished product. I didn't think the brine gave it much additional flavor. I did overcooked it a bit, but the dark meat was underwhelming as well. I think next time I will try a wet brine and keep a closer eye on my chicken's temperature.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

This recipe is racist, using red skin potatoes.

Seriously though it sounds really good.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”