Grilled Pepper Jack Burgers w/ spicy avocado topper

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

Grilled Pepper Jack Burgers w/ spicy avocado topper

Post by chef97 »

I know avocados aren't everybody's thing but if you like them then you'll like this spicy burger recipe!

Grilled Pepper Jack Cheeseburger w/ Spicy Avocado Topper
Yield: 6 Burgers

Ingredients Burgers:

6 ea - 6oz Burger Patties
Garlic salt to taste
Black Pepper to taste

Ingredients Spicy Avocado Topper:

2 ea - Avocados, small dice
1½ - Cup Tomatoes, small dice
½ Cup Cilantro minced
1 ea – Fresh Jalapeno, small dice
4 ea – Green onions, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp Lime juice
Salt & pepper to taste
6 ea slices of Pepper Jack Cheese

Procedure:

Mix ingredients for topping in bowl. Refrigerate up to 1 hour.
Grill Beef Patties on Medium high heat 2-3 minutes on each side or to 160 degrees F. Top burgers with cheese and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cheese melts. Top w/ ¼ cup spicy avocado mix and serve w/ lettuce, tomato and onions on Kaiser roll or favorite burger buns… As always, Happy Cooking!
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

THURSDAY NIGHT MAIN COURSE on ASTOR's MENU TONIGHT (thursday)
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

Hey Chef??What would I need to ground my own beef??I have a grounder,but can I use a good sirloin??And if so do I trim the fat or leave on ?
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

BIGBrandon2785 wrote:Hey Chef??What would I need to ground my own beef??I have a grounder,but can I use a good sirloin??And if so do I trim the fat or leave on ?

personally i find it's not worth it... unless you're making a sauce that requires lots of meat or a big BBQ... and the home grinder doesn't do an as good job IMO... and frozen beef ain't my type... makes the muscle fiber get more tensed.

i tried it and never did it again... just washing that whole grinder for a few beef patties was too much trouble too...
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

the13r wrote:
BIGBrandon2785 wrote:Hey Chef??What would I need to ground my own beef??I have a grounder,but can I use a good sirloin??And if so do I trim the fat or leave on ?

personally i find it's not worth it... unless you're making a sauce that requires lots of meat or a big BBQ... and the home grinder doesn't do an as good job IMO... and frozen beef ain't my type... makes the muscle fiber get more tensed.

i tried it and never did it again... just washing that whole grinder for a few beef patties was too much trouble too...
Cool thanks,ill just try to find some ground sirloin.Ive gotten to the point where I dont even like regular ground beef for a burger,a steak burger is the way to go
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

BIGBrandon2785 wrote:
the13r wrote:

Cool thanks,ill just try to find some ground sirloin.Ive gotten to the point where I dont even like regular ground beef for a burger,a steak burger is the way to go

going to a butcher is the way to go for quality burgers... it's more expensive but there is a special care into it with the choice and dosage of fresh cuts

What happens is that in grocery stores, unless you buy extra-lean (which is too dry for regular burgers...), you get scrap of meats (which is frozen fatty pieces of trims from big pieces of meats that are then cutted... and then frozen) and some fresh stuff... which results in a poor taste and texture imo.

Also the trims which contain the top coats of fats contain lots of the hormones and antibiotics...

so extra-lean meat mixed with other ingredients at home for special burgers, pure meat i'll go to the butcher if i want that perfect "buttery" taste meat for my burgers
chef97

Post by chef97 »

the13r wrote:
BIGBrandon2785 wrote:
the13r wrote:

going to a butcher is the way to go for quality burgers... it's more expensive but there is a special care into it with the choice and dosage of fresh cuts

What happens is that in grocery stores, unless you buy extra-lean (which is too dry for regular burgers...), you get scrap of meats (which is frozen fatty pieces of trims from big pieces of meats that are then cutted... and then frozen) and some fresh stuff... which results in a poor taste and texture imo.

Also the trims which contain the top coats of fats contain lots of the hormones and antibiotics...

so extra-lean meat mixed with other ingredients at home for special burgers, pure meat i'll go to the butcher if i want that perfect "buttery" taste meat for my burgers
Wow, great advice Astor!.... My Italian grandma used to grind her own pork for Italian sausages... I remember helping her hold the casing for her while she would turn the grinder, yup by hand.... Anyways, if you feel strongly about it Brandon, I would leave some of the fat on when you cut the sirloin but trim the silver skin off... That is the tough fibers Astor was talking about... Let me know how they turn out and Astor did you try the spicy avocado topping for your burgers?
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

the burger were for tonight chef, but i just got a call and need to work from 2pm to 9pm so i wont be able to make hem tonight... Don;t think Mylene will either since she'll be eating alone

i had everything ready, went to the grocery last night at 9pm to make sure i had everything... urgh
chef97

Re: Grilled Pepper Jack Burgers w/ spicy avocado topper

Post by chef97 »

An add-on idea that I've tried recently makes this burger even better.... On every regular 6 oz beef patty I smeared about 2 oz of raw beef chorizo... The stuff here comes in a tube so I just cut the end of the tube and squeezed out about 2 oz of the chorizo on top of the burger patty.... When I grilled the patties I placed the burgers on the grill Chorizo side down first.... Amazing flavor profile............. As always, happy cooking....
Chef
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

thanks Chef!

Sounds amazing.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

yoloswaggy911 wrote:thanks Chef!

Sounds amazing.

If you try this recipe please let us know how your meal turned out.......

Thanks!
Chef
SmartyBeardo

Post by SmartyBeardo »

I almost never grill burgers, or eat them, but next time I do I will be giving this recipe a try, including the chorizo topper. Mouthwatering just reading it.
SmartyBeardo is a fictional character, owned and operated by the creator. Events depicted by SmartyBeardo are fictitious. Any similarity to actual events is purely coincidental.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

chef97 wrote:An add-on idea that I've tried recently makes this burger even better.... On every regular 6 oz beef patty I smeared about 2 oz of raw beef chorizo... The stuff here comes in a tube so I just cut the end of the tube and squeezed out about 2 oz of the chorizo on top of the burger patty.... When I grilled the patties I placed the burgers on the grill Chorizo side down first.... Amazing flavor profile............. As always, happy cooking....
What a cool idea, I will give a a try sometime and report back.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

tmoney1224 wrote:
chef97 wrote:An add-on idea that I've tried recently makes this burger even better.... On every regular 6 oz beef patty I smeared about 2 oz of raw beef chorizo... The stuff here comes in a tube so I just cut the end of the tube and squeezed out about 2 oz of the chorizo on top of the burger patty.... When I grilled the patties I placed the burgers on the grill Chorizo side down first.... Amazing flavor profile............. As always, happy cooking....
What a cool idea, I will give a a try sometime and report back.

Awesome, thanks! I found that not only did the Chorizo give the burger a great flavor but it made it juicer...... :D
Chef
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Changes made:
Did 4, 1/4lb burgers
Used turkey instead of beef
Used red onions instead of green
Only needed one avocado, so decreased other ingredients accordingly, and just smashed the avocado (basically made guac)
Added just a touch of mayo to the top bun.

Result: I did these last night and they were really good, definite keeper. The chorizo makes the burger. My turkey went a little dry on me, but that was my own fault as I over cooked them a bit to make sure they were done. I cooked them chorizo side down for a few minutes, then flipped, then flipped back to chorizo side down and added the cheese. I pushed the chorizo down on the raw patties a bit before I put them on the grill and it stayed on the burger fine. I think I will try them again with beef and see how they turn out.

Pictures:

Raw burgers with chorizo

After first flip, you could still see raw turkey under the chorizo, so I flipped again.

Finished project

USMILMAN
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion

Post by USMILMAN »

That looks really fucking good TMoney!
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Amazing! tmoney!
Chef
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

damn. making me hungry at 8am!

Recipe sounds great.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Bumping this up. Made them again (still with turkey) and they are just damn tasty. That chorizo topper is genius!
chef97

Post by chef97 »

tmoney1224 wrote:Bumping this up. Made them again (still with turkey) and they are just damn tasty. That chorizo topper is genius!

Great call with the Turkey burgers tmoney, as the turkey reduces the amount of fat grams yet you still have a terrific flavor profile...... 8)
Chef

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”