Cheesesteaks

Food & beverages Discussions
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

Closest ive had to a authentic Cheesesteak is Penn Station.And if that's garbage
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

The key is using fresh ribeye, if I order a cheesesteak anywhere else thats the first thing I ask. If its frozen or not ribeye I refuse to order it.
"Nice guys finish last. awesome guys finish on her face" - Charlie Sheen
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

Big_Billa wrote:The key is using fresh ribeye, if I order a cheesesteak anywhere else thats the first thing I ask. If its frozen or not ribeye I refuse to order it.
I might give it a try one day soon.Whats the best way to cook the thin ribeye??
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

I might give it a try one day soon.Whats the best way to cook the thin ribeye??

If you have a slicer or something to cut it nice and thin you need a hot griddle (or an equivalent) and some type of fat. You lay each peice down and then as you accumulate a bunch of slices of rib eye start chopping it into small peices. The best way to do it is the side of a thick spatula.
BigPhank211

Post by BigPhank211 »

It's crazy how you can't get a halfway decent cheesesteak more than 100 miles outside of Philly. The bread is important too.
Two tears in a bucket, I wish ni@@as a pail.
A celebration b!tches, I wish ni@@as Chappelle.
They never caught wind, yet thought that they could sail,
against my Sea World flow. I wish you ni@@as whale!
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

It's crazy how you can't get a halfway decent cheesesteak more than 100 miles outside of Philly. The bread is important too.
Yeah good call. A nice fresh roll is huge! Whats your favorite place in Philly? Im a big fan of Tony Lukes and Jim's, Pats and Geno's can go blow me.
BigPhank211

Post by BigPhank211 »

Big_Billa wrote:
Yeah good call. A nice fresh roll is huge! Whats your favorite place in Philly? Im a big fan of Tony Lukes and Jim's, Pats and Geno's can go blow me.
Never been to Tony Luke's but those other spots you mentioned are all sub-par. I hate that visitors leave Philly thinking that you're supposed to put cheeze whiz on a cheesesteak. YUCK!
Go into the neighborhoods and you'll find a much better product than the tourist traps.
...and for Geno's, they can get the dilsnick with all that English only crap.
Two tears in a bucket, I wish ni@@as a pail.
A celebration b!tches, I wish ni@@as Chappelle.
They never caught wind, yet thought that they could sail,
against my Sea World flow. I wish you ni@@as whale!
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

Never been to Tony Luke's but those other spots you mentioned are all sub-par. I hate that visitors leave Philly thinking that you're supposed to put cheeze whiz on a cheesesteak. YUCK!
Go into the neighborhoods and you'll find a much better product than the tourist traps.

Yeah the fact that you have to order a certain way is ridiculous. I usually go American or if im in the mood ill go provolone, but never never put cheese wiz on my steak.
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

I waited in line at Jim's for over an hour....and I was disappointed with the cheesesteak, honestly.

I'm going to try Tony Luke's next time I'm up that way.

Really? what was wrong with it? I havent been to Jims in a few years now... Tony Lukes is literally right over the bridge by the sports complex so I never need to venture too far into the city.
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

I don't know that I can put my finger on it (this was a year ago, btw). First of all, the sub was too small....they didn't have small or large sizes...just the 8" sub. But that's on me...should've ordered two of them.

I guess I just wasn't impressed with the meat; it was unremarkable. I put cheez whiz on it, though, which may have been my downfall.

Next time I'm gonna go to Tony Luke's, order two subs, both with regular cheese and onions.

Tony Lukes is a pretty good size and definitely go provo or american. Thats rough waiting an hour and it wasnt that good.
jsant09

Post by jsant09 »

Never been to Philly but the only reason I want to go is for the cheesesteaks. It's one of my favorite foods.

I don't have to travel far as I've found a few great places in Cleveland to cheesesteaks. The best was this place 2 minutes from me called Philly's Finest - moved to Cleveland from Philly. Best cheesesteaks I've ever hard. Nice soft, but durable roll. Good helping of finely sliced/chopped steak. Provolone with chopped onions and green peppers optional. Little bit of oil. And mayo optional as well. Too bad they closed but the place that moved in after them makes a great cheesesteak as well.

I know a couple other spots that are good, and in Dayton (where I go to school) Milanos Atlantic City subs makes a great cheesesteak - high quality steak. They bake their bread fresh every day.
NateKN250

Re: Cheesesteaks

Post by NateKN250 »

regulardude wrote:So I tried this new place in DC that's supposed to have a decent approximation of authentic Philly cheesesteaks.....not so much.

Awful, awful stuff. How can DC only be a couple of hours south and not have the slightest inkling how to make a good sub? It's mind boggling.
Duder,

Jerry's makes a decent Philly out here, but I am telling you right now there is NOTHING that compares to a cheesesteak in Philly.

Ribeye does make the sandwhich, but I also think the onions need to be grilled nice, and it has to have enough cheese on it. Anywhere other than Philly I have gotten cheesesteaks that really lacked the CHEESE part of the equation.
Ali wrote:I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my
bedroom and was in bed before the room was dark.
NateKN250

Post by NateKN250 »

BigPhank211 wrote:
Big_Billa wrote:
Cheez Whiz on Cheesesteak = ketchup on a nice thick steak....only children do it.
NateKN250

Re: Cheesesteaks

Post by NateKN250 »

regulardude wrote:
NateKN250 wrote:
regulardude wrote:So I tried this new place in DC that's supposed to have a decent approximation of authentic Philly cheesesteaks.....not so much.

Awful, awful stuff. How can DC only be a couple of hours south and not have the slightest inkling how to make a good sub? It's mind boggling.
Duder,

Jerry's makes a decent Philly out here, but I am telling you right now there is NOTHING that compares to a cheesesteak in Philly.

Ribeye does make the sandwhich, but I also think the onions need to be grilled nice, and it has to have enough cheese on it. Anywhere other than Philly I have gotten cheesesteaks that really lacked the CHEESE part of the equation.
Hey man---where'd you end up moving to in DC? I forget (PM me if you don't wanna put it out there).
I'm in Alexandria, VA. I'm working in the District though. I have a few clients I service around farragut west and mcpherson square.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”