O.T. Caribbean spicy paste/rub recipe

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

O.T. Caribbean spicy paste/rub recipe

Post by chef97 »

I have been experimenting with this recipe for awhile now and this sweet & spicy paste/rub goes great with chicken, pork and seafood.... I hope you guys try it and let me know what you think....

2 to 4 habanero chiles
6 scallions or green onions green and whites finely chopped
1/4 cup all spice
2 tablespoons fresh thyme chopped
2 tablespoons black pepper
4 teaspoons kosher or coarse salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tablespoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup fresh minced garlic
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup olive oil

I place all ingredients in my food processer but you can just use a cutting board and knife and chop all vegtables and herbs by hand and then add wet ingredients and mix well... Also, you can vary the amount of chiles to adjust spiciness and recipe is good for at least 5lbs of meat...

Coat either chicken, pork chops/ribs or seafood and marinate for at least two hours before grilling, broiling or baking your meat.... For chicken and pork cook meat until the juices run clear....

And as always happy grilling!
Chef
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

So is this like a Jamaican Jerk? Because if it is, Ive been looking for a good recipe for forever.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Big_Billa wrote:So is this like a Jamaican Jerk? Because if it is, Ive been looking for a good recipe for forever.
Yes, (spice combo is jerk style) only I've put my own little twist on the recipe... I'm going to use this recipe on chicken that I'm going to cook on the grill later on this evening.... The high sugar content could burn meat if too much heat/flame if baking go 325 degrees F.....
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

chef97 wrote:
Big_Billa wrote:So is this like a Jamaican Jerk? Because if it is, Ive been looking for a good recipe for forever.
Yes, (spice combo is jerk style) only I've put my own little twist on the recipe... I'm going to use this recipe on chicken that I'm going to cook on the grill later on this evening.... The high sugar content could burn meat if too much heat/flame if baking go 325 degrees F.....
yeah but it will caramelize and add flavor, should be real great, ill definately give it a try

not sure if i can find that peppper particularly though

Big thanks chef
chef97

Post by chef97 »

the13r wrote:
chef97 wrote:
yeah but it will caramelize and add flavor, should be real great, ill definately give it a try

not sure if i can find that peppper particularly though

Big thanks chef
You can sub fresh jalapeno chiles or serano chiles for the the habanero chiles too Astor.... You're right about the meat caramelizing too bro! Sweet and spicy is the flavor profile I was looking for... 8)
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

i might be trying it TONIGHT

will post pics
chef97

Post by chef97 »

the13r wrote:i might be trying it TONIGHT

will post pics
Nice, you going to use your electric rotisserie attachment for your grill again Astor? Also, are you going to cook pork loin or chicken?

Thanks!
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

chef97 wrote:

will post pics
Nice, you going to use your electric rotisserie attachment for your grill again Astor? Also, are you going to cook pork loin or chicken?

Thanks!
Sunday is the BIG grocery day so i'll see what they have for nice cuts of meat... might be pork or chicken, mylene always prefers chicken... if its a whole chicken (they had a good price of 10$ for 2) then ill definately use the rotating rotisserie

if not it might be skinless chicken breast or something

Btw chef, i know its not too cold where you live, but for winter if you get your herbs or plants inside your house (if they have been outside all summer), do you have a good trick for a liquid solution to kill any kind of small bug that could have establish on the plant...

i heard dish washing soap diluted in water, spray and repeat 3 days later??? im searching for all suggestions
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

mylene btw would be interested in vegetarian receipes if you have some, bean salads or any kind of receipe

thanks chef
chef97

Post by chef97 »

the13r wrote:
chef97 wrote:

will post pics

Thanks!
Sunday is the BIG grocery day so i'll see what they have for nice cuts of meat... might be pork or chicken, mylene always prefers chicken... if its a whole chicken (they had a good price of 10$ for 2) then ill definately use the rotating rotisserie

if not it might be skinless chicken breast or something

Btw chef, i know its not too cold where you live, but for winter if you get your herbs or plants inside your house (if they have been outside all summer), do you have a good trick for a liquid solution to kill any kind of small bug that could have establish on the plant...

i heard dish washing soap diluted in water, spray and repeat 3 days later??? im searching for all suggestions
Actually that soap doesn't work because the bugs come back... I have used those fogeer bomb things you have to set it off then leave your house for several hours but it's the most effective because the bugs won't come back... I like your whole chicken idea but it will work just fine with boneless/skinless too.... We are receiving some excellent pork from Canada it's our new contract spec item with Sodexo and the quality of this pork from Canada is awesome very lean and flavorful....
Chef
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

Sounds great,habenro peppers are no joke :lol:
chef97

Post by chef97 »

the13r wrote:mylene btw would be interested in vegetarian receipes if you have some, bean salads or any kind of receipe

thanks chef
I have some terrific vegetarian recipes on my hard drive at work I'll put some on a thumb drive and bring home to post here... Is Mylene a vegan or does she eat cheese/dairy/seafood? My 13 year old daughter has been a vegetarian for about 6 mos now but she does eat some seafood and dairy so it's easier for me to cook for her because of variety....
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

chef97 wrote:
the13r wrote:mylene btw would be interested in vegetarian receipes if you have some, bean salads or any kind of receipe

thanks chef
I have some terrific vegetarian recipes on my hard drive at work I'll put some on a thumb drive and bring home to post here... Is Mylene a vegan or does she eat cheese/dairy/seafood? My 13 year old daughter has been a vegetarian for about 6 mos now but she does eat some seafood and dairy so it's easier for me to cook for her because of variety....
chese and all but prefers to eat as less meat as possible

i bought all kind of peppers including habano

ia lso bought a big pork piece that ill put the rub on and put on the mechoui bar!
chef97

Post by chef97 »

the13r wrote:
chef97 wrote:

thanks chef

ia lso bought a big pork piece that ill put the rub on and put on the mechoui bar!
Becareful with the habanero they are very spicy and wash your hands after handling... I wish I had that mechoui bar for my grill you must get excellent results with that.....
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

the ingredients (i substituted the honey for quality maple syrup)
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

chef97 wrote:
the13r wrote:
chef97 wrote: I have some terrific vegetarian recipes on my hard drive at work I'll put some on a thumb drive and bring home to post here... Is Mylene a vegan or does she eat cheese/dairy/seafood? My 13 year old daughter has been a vegetarian for about 6 mos now but she does eat some seafood and dairy so it's easier for me to cook for her because of variety....

Becareful with the habanero they are very spicy and wash your hands after handling... I wish I had that mechoui bar for my grill you must get excellent results with that.....

damn i just touched a face a little and felt it for 10 minutes, my nose was on fire and my eye was burning as hell

i wish i had read this part before handling them
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

the rub
chef97

Post by chef97 »

the13r wrote:
chef97 wrote:
the13r wrote: chese and all but prefers to eat as less meat as possible

damn i just touched a face a little and felt it for 10 minutes, my nose was on fire and my eye was burning as hell

Hope your okay one time I took a piss and my pecker was on fire.... :lol:
Chef
chef97

Post by chef97 »

the13r wrote:the rub
Nice! Good call on the Maple syrup too.... I know you get excellent results with your mechoui bar I wish I had one bro.... Did you read where I commented on the awesome pork we are getting here in AZ from Canada these days.... Great quality lean and flavorful....
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

chef97 wrote:
Nice! Good call on the Maple syrup too.... I know you get excellent results with your mechoui bar I wish I had one bro.... Did you read where I commented on the awesome pork we are getting here in AZ from Canada these days.... Great quality lean and flavorful....

yeah the pork is reknown quality here, they still try to sell us the usa pork though, bigger and cheaper, but its just not the same texture and taste

there is the charlevoix pork too, reknown around the world, fed with salt water herbs near the st-laurent, gives it a taste that is again sought around the world
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

the13r wrote:Image

the ingredients (i substituted the honey for quality maple syrup)

all the cans in the background are red beans btw, im preparing to do a chili tongiht
chef97

Post by chef97 »

the13r wrote:
chef97 wrote:

yeah the pork is reknown quality here, they still try to sell us the usa pork though, bigger and cheaper, but its just not the same texture and taste

there is the charlevoix pork too, reknown around the world, fed with salt water herbs near the st-laurent, gives it a taste that is again sought around the world
I have only read about this product in my monthly Chef magazine.... I thought it was only available in France though..... Really expensive too but suppose to be worth every penny.... You're also right abouth the higher quality "texture and taste" of the Canadian pork we get here now.... The company I work for is French owned "Sodexo" we are like the New York Yankees of food services and operate on every continent.....
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

btw the all spice really ressembles the clove in taste
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

the13r wrote:
chef97 wrote:
the13r wrote: chese and all but prefers to eat as less meat as possible

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Boy oh boy,becafeful with habenaros.Those are some hot peppers.My dad used to eat them right out of the mason jar.One day he was all drunk and reached for his Pepsi and got his open jar habeniros :lol: :lol: He spit that stuff accrossed the room. :lol:
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

i had high expectation and it was even better than expected lol

just really good chef, yes the color might be doubtfull (its black because of the sugar of the meat and the rub) but i twice coated it and it was incredibly great, still inserted some garlic pieces in the meat, and coated it before cooking and 30 minutes before the end too... was incredibly great, nice taste, balance between sugar, salt, fire... and the "nutmeg/cinnamon/all spice/clove like" all have that same taste where the taste bud at the back and side are called in full force. it remindede me of the lays BBQ chip taste with a few twists... lol

the meat pie with clove here is a classic at cristmass holidays, so the all spice(clove like) taste is something known here, but the way it was belnded with other interesting taste made it a pleasure for my mouth.

this would be spectacular on a whole chiken

mylene ate it with a mexican type rice (spicy tomatoe rizzzoto with beef,corn and red beans) and a spring mix type of salad with red balsamic dressing (tomatoe and green chive with the mix) and red wine

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”