Marinades

Food & beverages Discussions
Just a guy

Marinades

Post by Just a guy »

How does one ensure that marinades really ACTUALLY soak in and give flavor?

I ask because I just did a marinade that I THOUGHT would be great with some peppers and some onion... put it in the food processor with some oil and vinegar and let it sit overnight. I grilled the next night and the flavor just wasn't what I was hoping for... I had the heat, but not the flavor.

Now, I didn't salt the marinade because I didn't know if I should - should I have seasoned it? I did put some paprika and some oregano (it was for chicken), as well as some garlic. I even roasted the peppers and onion before processing them, but that flavor didn't pop.

It was spicy, but bland... any suggestions on how to do this better? I want something that pops...
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
Canvas

Re: Marinades

Post by Canvas »

I would add salt and pepper. Maybe some citrus zest and juice. You may not have had enough acid for the amount of oil.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

yeah salt and pepper for n-american is needed... sugar follows... then acid to balance and fat (oil) to share and blend the flavours... garlic/sweet/salty is a classic...

To reduce marinating time you can always try to butterfly your breasts or cut them into smallr thinner pieces...

Oregano doesn't flavour the meat THAT quick.. you need big quantities imo... fresh requires even more.

My greek oregano traditional receipe is for 4 to 5 butterflied breats... 4 or 5 garlic cloves grated... about 4 table spoons of cider vinegar... 3 to 4 table spoons of mayonaise... slat generously... pepper... LOTS of dried Oregano... like 5 to 6 table spoons or more depending on the type of Oregano...

My mom farm's produces a mountain type of oregano that is very strong... almost has a tar anis type of background taste so i don;t put much... but with store bought dried oregano, it's a big quantity... almost a cup
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Thanks guys... may try again with salt and more vinegar.

I used fresh serrano peppers, and that brought nice, not overwhelming heat. I will try more oregano also.

I was really proud of myself for roasting onion and pepper for flavor... I hope it is as simple as not adding the salt and probably not enough garlic or oregano.

Homer J. Simpson
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

Personally not a fan of oils in marinades unless it’s a two step marinade and the oil step is always second after an acidic-type marinade with spices, sugar, etc., and is mainly intended to coat the exterior and hold moisture and flavor from the first step in. Oil creates a barrier, so when done together, the oil tends to inhibit or prevent the acid-born flavors from penetrating even when well mixed.
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Good call, Pangloss. That made sense to me, so I tried it a bit differently and cut the oil.

I roasted some onions and habaneros, then did some lime with some vinegar for a chicken marinade... complete with some salt and a few other things - and it was really good. I grilled the chicken and brushed some oil for the grill, but that was it. Worked out really well. I should have posted a pic... I did some rice, too, with the remaining habaneros and some garlic... and that rice was banging.

Homer J. Simpson
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

Just a guy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:49 pm How does one ensure that marinades really ACTUALLY soak in and give flavor?
What are you marinating? Steaks? Chicken?

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”