Chef, what's your favourite kind of Sausage?

Food & beverages Discussions
Peat56

Chef, what's your favourite kind of Sausage?

Post by Peat56 »

I want to do some Bratwurst on the grill at some point over the Labour Day weekend, start them in a cast iron pan with onions and peppers, then maybe finish them on the grill just for a bit of colour and to crisp up the exterior just a bit.

Any suggestions about this? Good toppings? And what about other sausage? I love good sausage! In a good bun with beer there's nothing like it.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Re: Chef, what's your favourite kind of Sausage?

Post by Primetyme199 »

Peat56 wrote:I want to do some Bratwurst on the grill at some point over the Labour Day weekend, start them in a cast iron pan with onions and peppers, then maybe finish them on the grill just for a bit of colour and to crisp up the exterior just a bit.

Any suggestions about this? Good toppings? And what about other sausage? I love good sausage! In a good bun with beer there's nothing like it.

We get Maple Apple sausage from the Amish, it's sooooooo delicious.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

Ok, this is going to be weird.

I went to the gas station a 7/11 a long time ago and bought some sausages on that roller thing. It was a mix of sausage and hot dog, like 80% sausage and 20% hot dog. It was good, and the regular hot dogs are better than the ones at the store. Problem is I can't find out what kind of sausage or hot dog they use. I bought almost every brand there is at grocery stores. I did web searches for the brand they use but the never say anything. I'm going to go to a 7/11 and straight up ask the people behind the counter.

In Texas they have these sausages called Kilbosa, I know it's redundant but they're so good.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Cool thread you guys got going here.... In no particular order my favorite sausages are Italian sausage, Bratwurst, Polish, Linguisa & Louisiana hot sausage... I recently found a Louisiana hot sausage made in Oregon that's really good.... I got T-bone steaks for the grill this evening for my wife and I and my son, his still blushing bride and his in-laws will be over for a cook out on Sunday where we'll do Al Pastor tacos.... Here's the recipe for the Al Pastor tacos if anybody is interested.... http://www.the13thround.com/phpBB2/view ... r#p1769719 As always happy cooking!
Chef
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

I think making great sausage is an art. Sometimes butchers will create sausages with beautiful flavor and consistency, only to a lousy job on the casing and then you have real issues when cooking them. European-stye sausages are just fantastic!
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Was just browsing back through these threads and was struck that you say that you found a 'great Louisiana sausage from Oregon' - clearly, nobody else from Louisiana saw that comment before I did :-)

Andouille sausage is wonderful when it is true andouille sausage... methinks that Oregon may make some mighty fine sausage, but Louisiana sausae it does not make... GOOD DAY, SIR!!

... but really, my brother lives in Seattle, and his wife is from Oregon, so I would like to know where you found it at :D :mrgreen:
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Just a guy wrote:Was just browsing back through these threads and was struck that you say that you found a 'great Louisiana sausage from Oregon' - clearly, nobody else from Louisiana saw that comment before I did :-)

Andouille sausage is wonderful when it is true andouille sausage... methinks that Oregon may make some mighty fine sausage, but Louisiana sausae it does not make... GOOD DAY, SIR!!

... but really, my brother lives in Seattle, and his wife is from Oregon, so I would like to know where you found it at :D :mrgreen:
Ha ha nice! Below is the link to the sausage I was referring to and they make all kinds of sausage but my three favorites are their:
Louisiana Red Hot
Our Louisiana Red Hots offer a nice kick, made with select pork and beef cuts and seasoned with spicy mix of paprika, cayenne and chili pepper.
Linguisa
A traditional Portuguese course pork sausage with smoked paprika, garlic, herbs and spices. Ours is house cured and smoked to perfection.
Andouille Sausage
Our Cajun influenced smoked sausage begins with select lean pork and a spicy Creole blend, with a final moment in our smoker. Our Andouille is right at home in a spicy jambalaya or gumbo and is also great as is.

https://www.zennerssausage.com/quality-products As always happy cooking!
Chef
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

Wow - that company looks like one that I enjoy supporting.

My brother has said that he will check it out next time he is in Portland - thanks!

I was only disappointed that it appears that there isn't a shipping option, because I really wanted to see if I could get some here for when he visits for the holiday - but there is a number and I may call them just to see what it would take for them to send me a case. I know you can't judge from a website, but this appears to be some quality stuff.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”