Anybody else buy Kobe beef on line before?

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

Anybody else buy Kobe beef on line before?

Post by chef97 »

It's kinda pricey but I'll let youz guys know how they taste as I just got my first delivery today.... So, I'll be firing up my grill later... 8)

Starting at: $97.95

WAGYU BEEF - GROUND BEEF

Breed: Wagyu Cattle, 100% natural beef
Kobe Ground Beef - 5 lbs per package
Our Ground Beef is vacuumed sealed
Chef
wimpy

Re: Anybody else buy Kobe beef on line before?

Post by wimpy »

How many packages for $97.95?
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin
chef97

Post by chef97 »

J.J.Dillon wrote:That's per pound, Wimpy.
I was thinking the same so, I called the 800 number and you actually you get 5lbs for the $97.95 + tax so, a little over a C-note.... It came fresh packed via FedEX so, I made (2) 1/2 burger patties and put the rest in zip lock baggies 1lb portions in my downstairs freezer.... Oh, and the burgers were amazing but I'm not sure it was worth the price.... I would never purchase the steaks they are crazy expensive... You can buy these meats that are American bred Wagyu cattle beef too... Here's a website if anybody is interested.... http://www.dartagnan.com/buy/wagyu-beef/

The health benefits of Kobe beef are notable. Kobe Beef from Wagyu cattle has a higher percentage of monounsaturated fat (healthy fat), and higher levels of oleic acid (the healthy fatty acid that reduces bad cholesterol) than other breeds of cattle. Kobe beef will literally melt in your mouth, as the beef will start to dissolve at 77 degrees Fahrenheit. Kobe beef should be cooked no more than medium rare for unsurpassed flavor.
Chef
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

Not going to get real Kobe beef at that price, or as hamburger pretty much ever.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmst ... db5a644b03
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Pangloss wrote:Not going to get real Kobe beef at that price, or as hamburger pretty much ever.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmst ... db5a644b03
Guess you didn't read my entire post stench.... You can buy these meats that are American bred Wagyu cattle beef too... Here's a website if anybody is interested.... http://www.dartagnan.com/buy/wagyu-beef/ That's what I bought and what I posted about....
Chef
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

"American Wagyu" isn't Kobe beef, which is what the title of your thread is about, and you didn't mention American Wagyu in your original post at all. Personally, I'd never pay $19.55 a pound for any hamburger; you could buy Prime grade ribeyes for that much, the grinding of which into hamburger would be a huge waste.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Pangloss wrote:"American Wagyu" isn't Kobe beef, which is what the title of your thread is about, and you didn't mention American Wagyu in your original post at all. Personally, I'd never pay $19.55 a pound for any hamburger; you could buy Prime grade ribeyes for that much, the grinding of which into hamburger would be a huge waste.
Sorry to all TTR members for any confusion, I stand corrected Wagyu cattle from Texas is only "Kobe style" but is of very high quality as depicted in the pics from the website and in my humble opinion as a professional chef & consumer... Seriously though, why don't you do us all a favor and go away stench ; nobody wants your argumentative I'm right and you're wrong bull shit around here anymore.... Especially when it comes to food.....
Chef
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

Not sure why you're so personally offended. Lighten up Francis.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

chef97 wrote:
J.J.Dillon wrote:That's per pound, Wimpy.
I was thinking the same so, I called the 800 number and you actually you get 5lbs for the $97.95 + tax so, a little over a C-note.... It came fresh packed via FedEX so, I made (2) 1/2 burger patties and put the rest in zip lock baggies 1lb portions in my downstairs freezer.... Oh, and the burgers were amazing but I'm not sure it was worth the price.... I would never purchase the steaks they are crazy expensive... You can buy these meats that are American bred Wagyu cattle beef too... Here's a website if anybody is interested.... http://www.dartagnan.com/buy/wagyu-beef/

The health benefits of Kobe beef are notable. Kobe Beef from Wagyu cattle has a higher percentage of monounsaturated fat (healthy fat), and higher levels of oleic acid (the healthy fatty acid that reduces bad cholesterol) than other breeds of cattle. Kobe beef will literally melt in your mouth, as the beef will start to dissolve at 77 degrees Fahrenheit. Kobe beef should be cooked no more than medium rare for unsurpassed flavor.
Seems clear enough from your post that the source is American...but I would question whether or not there are really any health benefits. I have a feeling that point would be debated by experts on both sides.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Pangloss wrote:Not sure why you're so personally offended. Lighten up Francis.
When it comes to food a lot of the time there are no right or wrong answers.... It's all about you and or your family's palate and what youz guys like as far as flavor profiles and culinary technique... And when and where you procure your commodities to make your meals is on you... This food and drink forum is a community for foodies like you and me and the rest of our fellow TTR members... I want you to know that your ideas are valid and welcome but perhaps you should try out your nice guy hat a little more often when posting here and I promise to do the same....

Thanks!
Chef
Presteezh
President Of Zab Nation

Post by Presteezh »

Hmm I wonder if the Kobe beef my wife buys at asian market is legit kobe beef. I will take closer look next time.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

Presteezh wrote:Hmm I wonder if the Kobe beef my wife buys at asian market is legit kobe beef. I will take closer look next time.

There's something like 5 different levels. But the top top level is very rare to find in the U.S. as I understand it.

There are some interesting aged steaks out there that are fairly expensive as well.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

Presteezh wrote:Hmm I wonder if the Kobe beef my wife buys at asian market is legit kobe beef. I will take closer look next time.
I heard the only way you can get "Kobe beef" is if you are in Kobe Japan and even then it's not a guarantee. Some article I read was the FDA won't allow it because of regulations and stuff. Wagyu is the same technique as Kobe.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

Hey Chef, your thoughts on a Well-Done steak?
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

I read an article recently that only 9 restaurants in the US serve real Kobe Beef.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Primetyme199 wrote:I read an article recently that only 9 restaurants in the US serve real Kobe Beef.

I'll bet that product is amazing even though I don't think the "real deal" is worth the price... Again, I want to apologize to TTR members as this thread was meant to ask their opinions on American style Kobe beef... Finally, to Yolo my personal opinion on well done steaks is that I don't recommend it that way but whatever you like is totally okay... :)
Chef
Primetyme199

Post by Primetyme199 »

My local butcher, where we usually but a lot of things from, has the American Kobe beef ribeye for $19.99 a pound.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Here's some more interesting info on wagyu or Japanese style cattle from my Chef's association's website...

http://www.acfchefs.org/download/docume ... gyu101.pdf
Chef

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”