T-Bone Steak Marinade

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

T-Bone Steak Marinade

Post by chef97 »

The simple ingredients for this steak marinade make for a tasty steak....

Ingredients

2 14oz T-Bone steaks
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
Freshly ground pepper

Proceedure

Poke the steak(s) all over with the tines of a carving fork; then, in a large re-sealable plastic bag, combine the soy sauce, Worcestershire, vinegar, oil, garlic, sugar, and pepper, to taste. Add the steak, and turn to coat. Reseal the bag and marinate the steaks refrigerated for up to 6 hours. Grill your steaks on medium high heat turning just once to your desired internal temperature.... As always, happy cooking!
Chef
Danielk015

Re: T-Bone Steak Marinade

Post by Danielk015 »

Good shit chef!!!

Typically, how thick should the steaks be for this?
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Danielk015 wrote:Good shit chef!!!

The ones I get are about 1.5 inches thick... The grades for beef here in the US are: USDA Prime (the best & most expensive), USDA Choice (pretty awesome too) & USDA Select which is still good but not as good as the other two.... These steaks are full of flavor especially the longer you have them in the marinade.... As always, happy cooking!
Chef
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

T-Bone is a nice cut. I personally don't marinate the nice cuts unless it's lower quality beef.

Any steaks cut from the short loin or rib areas I usually just use a bit of salt and pepper, maybe a bit of onion and garlic powders.

Sounds like a nice marinade Chef, thanks. I will try it out next time I buy a Top Sirloin.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Canvas wrote:T-Bone is a nice cut. I personally don't marinate the nice cuts unless it's lower quality beef.

Any steaks cut from the short loin or rib areas I usually just use a bit of salt and pepper, maybe a bit of onion and garlic powders.

Sounds like a nice marinade Chef, thanks. I will try it out next time I buy a Top Sirloin.
That's thing about food to me is there are no right or wrong answers.... It's all about creating the flavor profiles that you like.... As always, happy cooking!
Chef
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

If you don't have the ingredients on hand to make this marinade, any oil and vinegar based salad dressing will also do in a pinch.

Paul Newman's balsamic vinaigrette with a bit of added maple syrup or honey has bailed me out a couple of times!
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Canvas wrote:If you don't have the ingredients on hand to make this marinade, any oil and vinegar based salad dressing will also do in a pinch.

Paul Newman's balsamic vinaigrette with a bit of added maple syrup or honey has bailed me out a couple of times!
Yes! That's what I'm talkin' about.... :D That dressing goes great w/ boneless skinless chicken breast on the grill too....
Chef
ngkpg

Post by ngkpg »

chef97 wrote:

The ones I get are about 1.5 inches thick... The grades for beef here in the US are: USDA Prime (the best & most expensive), USDA Choice (pretty awesome too) & USDA Select which is still good but not as good as the other two.... These steaks are full of flavor especially the longer you have them in the marinade.... As always, happy cooking!
I have a question on how beef grades are determined. Are the grades based on the part the beef comes from or are there special cows that end up as Prime vs. Choice vs. Select? In other words, if you put 3 grades of beef in front of me, I probably wouldn't know which is which. What is it that you look for to know that it is higher grade?
Pangloss

Post by Pangloss »

ngkpg wrote:
chef97 wrote:

I have a question on how beef grades are determined. Are the grades based on the part the beef comes from or are there special cows that end up as Prime vs. Choice vs. Select? In other words, if you put 3 grades of beef in front of me, I probably wouldn't know which is which. What is it that you look for to know that it is higher grade?
Look at the fat marbling. Just Google "prime vs choice vs select" and look at images and you'll see the difference. I don't even look at the technical grades listed on the wrapping, I just look at the actual steaks themselves. If you're paying attention and willing to take the time to pick through what they have out at the store, you can often come across really well marbled steaks that aren't marked, or priced, at the level of the ones officially graded as Prime or Choice.
ngkpg

Post by ngkpg »

Pangloss wrote: Look at the fat marbling. Just Google "prime vs choice vs select" and look at images and you'll see the difference. I don't even look at the technical grades listed on the wrapping, I just look at the actual steaks themselves. If you're paying attention and willing to take the time to pick through what they have out at the store, you can often come across really well marbled steaks that aren't marked, or priced, at the level of the ones officially graded as Prime or Choice.
Thanks. You got me curious so I googled it. It looks like I've been doing things wrong. If I were at the grocery, I would've chosen Select because it's pure beef and does not have a lot of fat. The Select beef also looks more fresh than the others. Now I know. Staring at these images is a lot more exciting than Canelo vs. Jr.

Prime

Choice

Select
chef97

Post by chef97 »

ngkpg wrote:
Pangloss wrote: Look at the fat marbling. Just Google "prime vs choice vs select" and look at images and you'll see the difference. I don't even look at the technical grades listed on the wrapping, I just look at the actual steaks themselves. If you're paying attention and willing to take the time to pick through what they have out at the store, you can often come across really well marbled steaks that aren't marked, or priced, at the level of the ones officially graded as Prime or Choice.
Thanks. You got me curious so I googled it. It looks like I've been doing things wrong. If I were at the grocery, I would've chosen Select because it's pure beef and does not have a lot of fat. The Select beef also looks more fresh than the others. Now I know. Staring at these images is a lot more exciting than Canelo vs. Jr.

Prime

Choice

Select
The select grade does have a lot less fat but will be tougher and more chewy especially if it gets cooked to more than 120F internal temperature... Remember there are also cuts of meat that don't have any USDA label so, those don't even make the select grade..... For example a local (for me) Carniceria (a Mexican style butcher that specializes in mexican style bbq meats.) has a sign on his fresh meat case that simply says "Origins of meat Canada, Mexico & USA" w/ no USDA labels anywhere.... Buyer beware I guess but they do have great tasting Mexican style marinated meats there like Pollo Asado, Carne Asada, Al Pastor and they have cuts w/ no marinade too of chicken, pork & beef....
Chef

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”