New Salmon Cakes w/ chef's tartar sauce recipe

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

New Salmon Cakes w/ chef's tartar sauce recipe

Post by chef97 »

My bud gave me a bunch of salmon filet that he caught and froze recently here in WA... He's the maintenance guy from my work and wanted a different recipe because he always does his the same bake w/ lemon & butter salt & pepper.... Here's the recipe I created and shared w/ him.... You can even use canned Salmon for this recipe if you don't have good Salmon like I was lucky enough to get from the Columbia river here in WA state.... 8)

Ingredients for Tartar Sauce:
1 small jar artichokes, drained and chopped
1 cup name brand mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped sweet pickles
1 tablespoon chopped capers (drained)
2 tablespoons fine diced red onion
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon sugar
Coarse Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to your taste
Salmon Cakes:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup finely diced celery
1/4 cup finely diced red onions
1/4 cup finely diced red bell peppers
2 tablespoons minced freshly parsley
2 lbs cooked/chilled boneless, skinless salmon
2/3 cup cracker crumbs (I like Ritz)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 egg
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Procedure:
For tartar sauce: Combine the artichokes, mayonnaise, sweet pickles, capers, sugar, Dijon and lemon juice in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the cakes: In a skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and saute the celery, onions and bell peppers until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the salmon, cracker crumbs, mayonnaise, Dijon, salt, pepper, egg and lemon zest and juice. Mix with your hands until evenly combined. Shape into patties (I use 1/2 cup per patty, making 8. Place on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Then in a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil + 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Cook the patties (do not overcrowd the pan -- I only do 4 at a time) until golden brown in, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to cook the second batch.... Enjoy immediately! And as always happy cooking!
Chef

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”