How to Make Burgers: A Guide by Sam Sifton

Food & beverages Discussions
CageyVeteran

Re: How to Make Burgers: A Guide by Sam Sifton

Post by CageyVeteran » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:37 pm

I've been reading a lot of people are getting injured from wire brushes used to clean grills. I'm going to start using iron skillet.

hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:16 pm

CageyVeteran wrote:I've been reading a lot of people are getting injured from wire brushes used to clean grills. I'm going to start using iron skillet.
https://www.amazon.com/Great-Scrape-Woo ... ll+cleaner

Try this.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."

CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:52 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
CageyVeteran wrote:I've been reading a lot of people are getting injured from wire brushes used to clean grills. I'm going to start using iron skillet.
https://www.amazon.com/Great-Scrape-Woo ... ll+cleaner

Try this.

$30 bucks for a hunk of wood?

hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:37 pm

CageyVeteran wrote:

$30 bucks for a hunk of wood?
Utensils of all kinds are overpriced commodities. It was just an option to clean your grill. I picked one up at Costco for $14.99.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."

yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:24 pm

There is a unique flavor gained from a skillet. I was just thinking this as I stopped in a small burger joint on the beach yesterday.

CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:10 pm

yoloswaggy911 wrote:

There is a unique flavor gained from a skillet. I was just thinking this as I stopped in a small burger joint on the beach yesterday.

I totally forgot to buy one. I had one somewhere and now it just disappeared. Crazy how shit disappears. And the funny thing, I don't even know where it even came from.

athenian

Post by athenian » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:40 am

Fresh basil and a red onion are the key toppings for me. Try it. You won't regret it

chef97

Post by chef97 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:08 pm

athenian wrote:Fresh basil and a red onion are the key toppings for me. Try it. You won't regret it
Tried and true by a number of TTR culinarians.... 8)

Thanks for the tip athenian!
Chef

Peat56

Post by Peat56 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:17 pm

I don't know how many actual injuries there have been, but it does concern me and i have quit using the classic wire brush. There are a number of alternatives out there. I doubt any of them offer you the speed and efficiency of a wire brush but I am content to go a bit slower and work a bit harder to clean the grill.

the13r
TTR

Post by the13r » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:51 am

athenian wrote:Fresh basil and a red onion are the key toppings for me. Try it. You won't regret it
I do a ayoli with basil everytime i make burgers!

Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:37 pm

If you are lucky enough to be near a Sprouts Farmers Market, they sell ground elk and ground venison for a little less than $10/pound. To me at least, it's a noticeable improvement over ground beef.

I was not too crazy about the wild boar and I don't eat veal :|