7-Up Chicken marinade for your next BBQ

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

7-Up Chicken marinade for your next BBQ

Post by chef97 »

This recipe is for 1 whole chicken at least 4+ pound WOG or (without guts) for best results trim 40% of skin before marinating then grilling....

Ingredients

1 - 4lb chicken trimmed & cut into pieces
1/2 cup fresh minced garlic
1/3 cup olive oil
1 - 12oz can or bottle of 7-Up
1 teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
1/3 cup of fresh minced parsley (I use fresh flat Italian parsley but curly is good too)

Proceedure

Combine all ingredients together and marinate the chicken pieces entirely and for at least 2 hours prior to grilling but for best results marinate overnight... Grill marinated chicken on medium high heat turning frequently and until min internal temperature is 165 F or when pierced w/ a knife juices run clear..... As always, happy cooking!
Chef
CageyVeteran

Re: 7-Up Chicken marinade for your next BBQ

Post by CageyVeteran »

I forgot about 7-up marinade. My dad used to do that.

I messed up and bought Sprite instead. He was pissed.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

stenchasaurous wrote:If you're going to do this, I would recommend using the Mexican 7-Up since it has real cane sugar in it.

Heard that soda from Mexico is better because of real sugar. America and Canada get the cancer sweeteners.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

stenchasaurous wrote:
CageyVeteran wrote:
stenchasaurous wrote:If you're going to do this, I would recommend using the Mexican 7-Up since it has real cane sugar in it.

Heard that soda from Mexico is better because of real sugar. America and Canada get the cancer sweeteners.
Being in Texas, I'd recommend experimenting with the sodas they make at Dublin Bottling Works too. Last place they made the real Dr. Pepper as far as I know, until the mother ship company sued them basically for making soda that was better than the other bottlers and taking their business.
I agree w/ the real sugar comments, anyways I have a Dr. Pepper marinade for St Louis style pork ribs or thick cut pork chops on the grill too if anyone is interested I'll post it here in the food and drink forum.... The soda helps tenderize the meat a bit as well as giving amazing flavor profiles to grilled meats.... Another recipe using soda I have is w/ Coke or Pepsi and soy sauce along w/ other spices and ingredients.... Let me know fellas.....
Chef
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

stenchasaurous wrote:
CageyVeteran wrote:

Being in Texas, I'd recommend experimenting with the sodas they make at Dublin Bottling Works too. Last place they made the real Dr. Pepper as far as I know, until the mother ship company sued them basically for making soda that was better than the other bottlers and taking their business.
How do I tell if they're from that company? Is there a label or a mark on the label? I try to allow myself a soda a week and when I do drink soda I want it to be best option I have.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

chef97 wrote:
I agree w/ the real sugar comments, anyways I have a Dr. Pepper marinade for St Louis style pork ribs or thick cut pork chops on the grill too if anyone is interested I'll post it here in the food and drink forum.... The soda helps tenderize the meat a bit as well as giving amazing flavor profiles to grilled meats.... Another recipe using soda I have is w/ Coke or Pepsi and soy sauce along w/ other spices and ingredients.... Let me know fellas.....

I'll be waiting for this recipe.

What I should be doing is other stuff besides grilling.
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

stenchasaurous wrote:

We went to visited the museum a couple of months before they got taken over by Dr.Pepper. I still have one of the bottles un-open.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

stenchasaurous wrote:
deadlything wrote:
stenchasaurous wrote:

We went to visited the museum a couple of months before they got taken over by Dr.Pepper. I still have one of the bottles un-open.
That's cool. Looked around and I think Dr. Pepper may still be making some real sugar stuff on their own, but I doubt it's the same. I don't really ever drink soda, but a cold real old-school one on a hot day is still delicious.
Ice cold diet coke out of a can in the morning after a hard night of drinking. I don't know what about this makes me feel better but it does.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

I will let you know how it turns out - I adjsuted leaving the parsley out and I'm using strips of bonelss, skinless chicken breast to put on the grill tonight. I am kind of excited to try it out. Will post the results.
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Just a guy wrote:I will let you know how it turns out - I adjsuted leaving the parsley out and I'm using strips of bonelss, skinless chicken breast to put on the grill tonight. I am kind of excited to try it out. Will post the results.

Cool man... 8) I will be firing up my grill all weekend too Happy grilling brother!
Chef
Just a guy

Post by Just a guy »

chef97 wrote:
Just a guy wrote:I will let you know how it turns out - I adjsuted leaving the parsley out and I'm using strips of bonelss, skinless chicken breast to put on the grill tonight. I am kind of excited to try it out. Will post the results.

Cool man... 8) I will be firing up my grill all weekend too Happy grilling brother!
So - I think that I did okay with it, but I think that I didn't have the proportions correct. I see where the marinade gives a nice moistness to the chicken and I used Tony Chachere's seasoning rather than the salt right before going to the grill.

Good texture and finish to the marinade taste... I was thinking it would be a little sweeter, so that surprised me a bit. It was good, but I am wondering if it was supposed to have that sweet to offset the garlic - again, I think I might have messed that part up.

I am probably going to try it again and pay more attention to the amounts I am supposed to use :-)
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Homer J. Simpson
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Just a guy wrote:
chef97 wrote:

So - I think that I did okay with it, but I think that I didn't have the proportions correct. I see where the marinade gives a nice moistness to the chicken and I used Tony Chachere's seasoning rather than the salt right before going to the grill.

Good texture and finish to the marinade taste... I was thinking it would be a little sweeter, so that surprised me a bit. It was good, but I am wondering if it was supposed to have that sweet to offset the garlic - again, I think I might have messed that part up.

I am probably going to try it again and pay more attention to the amounts I am supposed to use :-)
7-up is a bit of a low sugar soft drink so, if you like you can add like 1 tablespoon of sugar to your marinade and be sure to marinate for at least 1 hour prior to cooking.... Tony's seasoning is a nice touch too and as always, happy cooking! The Dr. Pepper St Louis Ribs are bomb too and are sweet & savory.... :D
Chef
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

chef97 wrote:
Just a guy wrote:
chef97 wrote:

7-up is a bit of a low sugar soft drink so, if you like you can add like 1 tablespoon of sugar to your marinade and be sure to marinate for at least 1 hour prior to cooking.... Tony's seasoning is a nice touch too and as always, happy cooking! The Dr. Pepper St Louis Ribs are bomb too and are sweet & savory.... :D
Did you post the Dr. Pepper recipe Chef?

I have a friend coming out to visit that might like that one.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Boil 2 cups Dr. Pepper in a saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced to 1/2 cup, 8 to 10 minutes... Reduce the heat to low; add 1/2 cup each apple jelly, 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard 1/3 cup honey... Whisk together and brush on the glaze during the last 10 minutes of grilling your St. Louis Ribs....
As always, happy grilling! 8)
Chef
wimpy

Post by wimpy »

yoloswaggy911 wrote:
chef97 wrote:
Just a guy wrote:

Ahhh, having Stench over finally?
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

wimpy wrote:
yoloswaggy911 wrote:

Ahhh, having Stench over finally?

LMAO, how did you guess?

I think he'll come back though, unfortunately.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”