Oodles of Noodles.

Food & beverages Discussions
CageyVeteran

Oodles of Noodles.

Post by CageyVeteran »

I think I make decent BBQ and I need to work on my everyday food cooking. I do the standard stuff, chicken, meatloaf, pork chops. That's my rotation pretty much.

Few months ago I went to the dentist and had a tooth extraction and cavities. Couldn't eat big stuff and ate a lot of cheap noodles. My favorite is Ichibgan Sapporo, cost like .58 cents last I looked. And got a few of the cheaper rammen for .25 cents Maruchan I think they are called. The taste is slightly different but it's the noodles. I experimented with different brands and eventually came across a few videos on YouTube on how to make your own.

Chef, have you ever made noodles from scratch? I've seen a few people do it and even saw Gordon Ramsey try to take on a noodle chef in one of his shows he makes. I'm looking to try something new, the same old stuff is getting boring and I don't eat a lot of fast food anymore. I rather eat microwave something from the grocery store, it's cheaper. And noodles seem to be really cheap.
chef97

Re: Oodles of Noodles.

Post by chef97 »

CageyVeteran wrote:I think I make decent BBQ and I need to work on my everyday food cooking. I do the standard stuff, chicken, meatloaf, pork chops. That's my rotation pretty much.

Few months ago I went to the dentist and had a tooth extraction and cavities. Couldn't eat big stuff and ate a lot of cheap noodles. My favorite is Ichibgan Sapporo, cost like .58 cents last I looked. And got a few of the cheaper rammen for .25 cents Maruchan I think they are called. The taste is slightly different but it's the noodles. I experimented with different brands and eventually came across a few videos on YouTube on how to make your own.

Chef, have you ever made noodles from scratch? I've seen a few people do it and even saw Gordon Ramsey try to take on a noodle chef in one of his shows he makes. I'm looking to try something new, the same old stuff is getting boring and I don't eat a lot of fast food anymore. I rather eat microwave something from the grocery store, it's cheaper. And noodles seem to be really cheap.

Yes, my Italian grandma taught me a lot about cooking from scratch including noodles (pasta)... There are a a lot of different varieties but I first learned how to make Durham semolina pasta mix and from there you can make a gazillion types of noodles, (pasta) both stuffed like Ravioli and tortellini to flat like fettuccine, linguine & Gnocchi which is a variation.... I was raised on pasta but will always enjoy lean meats, vegetables and salad greens, fruits & grains.... A nice balance is the key but I always go back to noodles (pasta).... Including last weekend at a Thai restaurant enjoying a nice Pad Thai that the chef incorporated shrimp, pork & chicken along w/ many fresh vegetables & sprouts along w/ Thai flavor profiles (sweet/spicy/savory & citrus).... I have recipes for how to make both Asian and many other types of noodles all recipes really including vegetarian and if you'd like I'll post them here.... As for pasta/noodles being cheap you're right! Meat, eggs & cheese are the highest in food cost % in mine and every professional kitchen.... As always, happy cooking!
Chef
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

My dumb ass. I was looking at videos online how to do hand pulled noodles.

Saw a pasta video. It was way less intimidating. Now I wanna make spaghetti, loved that growing up. Now I'm going to do it from scratch.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

CageyVeteran wrote:My dumb ass. I was looking at videos online how to do hand pulled noodles.

Saw a pasta video. It was way less intimidating. Now I wanna make spaghetti, loved that growing up. Now I'm going to do it from scratch.
Atta babe! Let us know how they turn out.... BTW I'm tech challenged and every pic I've posted on Mugz page my son helped me.... Otherwise I would like to post some pics/vids of some of my fav recipes here.... But just don't have the knowledge or time to do it.... :( May be some day.... :)
Chef
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

chef97 wrote: Atta babe! Let us know how they turn out.... BTW I'm tech challenged and every pic I've posted on Mugz page my son helped me.... Otherwise I would like to post some pics/vids of some of my fav recipes here.... But just don't have the knowledge or time to do it.... :( May be some day.... :)

I hear that. Just to post pics I have to do 18 different steps. I don't even want to try and do a video.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”