Gumbo Question

Food & beverages Discussions
CageyVeteran

Gumbo Question

Post by CageyVeteran »

I've made gumbo a few times and, to me, freaking delicious.

I've made the roux and found the first couple of times took forever. My friend who grew up in New Orleans says it'll take at least 45 minutes but a lot of recipes say it'll be quick even if you want dark roux.

The last time I made gumbo I didn't make nearly as much roux and it turned a dark brown really fast; I used one of those tiny frying pans for one egg and put in just enough to cover the pan. But I made a pretty big pot of gumbo.

I was wondering for those who are in the know. How much roux is used compared to the stock? You don't have to be really technical just like a guess, cuz every recipe I looked up never really have a roux to stock ratio.
chef97

Re: Gumbo Question

Post by chef97 »

CageyVeteran wrote:I've made gumbo a few times and, to me, freaking delicious.

I've made the roux and found the first couple of times took forever. My friend who grew up in New Orleans says it'll take at least 45 minutes but a lot of recipes say it'll be quick even if you want dark roux.

The last time I made gumbo I didn't make nearly as much roux and it turned a dark brown really fast; I used one of those tiny frying pans for one egg and put in just enough to cover the pan. But I made a pretty big pot of gumbo.

I was wondering for those who are in the know. How much roux is used compared to the stock? You don't have to be really technical just like a guess, cuz every recipe I looked up never really have a roux to stock ratio.
What a great question! You must be quite the culinarian to attempt such a complex recipe and make it w/ the (insert French accent from my fav instructor from culinary school) authentic preparation.... Come'on Ca-low, no boo sheet ugh, you do not like siz sauce? Zis sauce does not like you my freng....:D
Chef Al-bear would never put the r or the s when pronouncing my name (Carlos)....

Anyways, the key to a great Gumbo is the Mahogany roux which takes forever & must be produced w/ low heat and and stirred a lot & the process seems to take forever..... This reference Mahogany is to the color of the roux in it's finality.... There are a gazillion different variations for the original recipe of "Gumbo".... Which includes a vegan option but the key to an exceptional recipe production includes a little fresh lemon zest & sugar at the very end and that is the key to an award winning finished product..... A very long answer but you should know that, normally 1 pound roux per gallon of liquid. ... (3 cups of stock reduction,)...... As always, happy cooking!
Chef
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

chef97 wrote: What a great question! You must be quite the culinarian to attempt such a complex recipe and make it w/ the (insert French accent from my fav instructor from culinary school) authentic preparation.... Come'on Ca-low, no boo sheet ugh, you do not like siz sauce? Zis sauce does not like you my freng....:D
Chef Al-bear would never put the r or the s when pronouncing my name (Carlos)....

Anyways, the key to a great Gumbo is the Mahogany roux which takes forever & must be produced w/ low heat and and stirred a lot & the process seems to take forever..... This reference Mahogany is to the color of the roux in it's finality.... There are a gazillion different variations for the original recipe of "Gumbo".... Which includes a vegan option but the key to an exceptional recipe production includes a little fresh lemon zest & sugar at the very end and that is the key to an award winning finished product..... A very long answer but you should know that, normally 1 pound roux per gallon of liquid. ... (3 cups of stock reduction,)...... As always, happy cooking!

Thank you! I must either be too impatient to see anyone else say that. I've been basically making soup with a little bit of roux in it.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Fresh shellfish, chicken and Andouille sausage are awesome ingredients for a nice Gumbo too.... Andouille is a smoked sausage made using pork, originating in France.
Chef
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

chef97 wrote:Fresh shellfish, chicken and Andouille sausage are awesome ingredients for a nice Gumbo too.... Andouille is a smoked sausage made using pork, originating in France.

That's exactly what we always put in ours.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

chef97 wrote:Fresh shellfish, chicken and Andouille sausage are awesome ingredients for a nice Gumbo too.... Andouille is a smoked sausage made using pork, originating in France.

I'm going to have to try andouille sausage. I don't think I've ever seen one. I need to go a butcher or specialty meat shop cuz everything in my town is shrink wrapped and generic.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”