Is This Healthy Bread Fad Worth The Effort?

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

Re: Is This Healthy Bread Fad Worth The Effort?

Post by chef97 »

regulardude wrote:Just read that yesterday.

I mean, I'd start buying that bread but it's ridiculously expensive.
And it's not very good either..... It's better to go to your favorite boulangerie and just buy a loaf of bread as you need it..... Cheaper and better tasting.......
Chef
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

I honestly was not aware that whole wheat wasn't whole. I wonder how whole wheat can be marketed as whole if the bran and germ have been removed as the article claims. Not sure if I'm believing this yet (I need to do some research :? ) .

We have, for the last 4 or 5 years, been eating spouted grain bread and also sprouted grain tortillas. Superior nutrition and also a very low glycemic index.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/43171 ... ole-wheat/
(no mention here of whole grains not being "whole")

http://foodbabe.com/2014/02/24/healthie ... he-market/
(or here)
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

It isn't really that difficult.

The original article seemed to be suggesting that only this new specially milled wheat was whole wheat and that just isn't true. At least so far as anything I can find on the subject.

Really I think it's just marketing, a way to justify charging exorbitantly for essentially the same product we've had for many many years.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

stenchasaurous wrote:Did you bother reading what you just quoted or just quote it? Regulations for labeling and guidelines for designations don't always stack up to reality. Shocking, I know. You're right, it really isn't that difficult.

Read beyond the product title, read the ingredients, it isn't difficult.

Anyway, it's still flour, it's less bad but it's hardly health food nor is it anything even remotely new.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

stenchasaurous wrote:What brand bread do you eat?
Ezekiel 4:9 is our everyday bread.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

stenchasaurous wrote:So you already buy fancy, expensive bread and are just arguing to argue. Got it.
If $3.99 for 24oz loaf is expensive then yes. I also spend $3.49 for a 16oz jar for organic peanut butter. Really, if that's too expensive to feed your family maybe it's time to ditch the IPA and start drinking Keystone.

My main point was that the article is misleading. Whole grain bread is not a fad, pretending that this is something new and cutting edge is really rather ridiculous.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

stenchasaurous wrote:Labeling of something as simply "whole grain" doesn't always mean it really is. The article isn't misleading at all; it in fact explicitly states that the price isn't worth it until the alleged extra nutritional benefits can be proven. You clearly didn't read it very well.
I read it fine. I'm also quite capable of reading a label, including the list of ingredients. If this article enlightened you somehow, that's great.

The article is full of misinformation. Yes, whole grain wheat flour (or whole grain anything) does have a shorter shelf life but claiming it's only about a week just isn't true, if it were you could not even buy it in a store. We buy it and refrigerate it, it's good for several months. Mostly we use it for pizza dough

No, this article seems to be written with the purpose of convincing people that true whole grain bread is somehow technically difficult to produce, rare and possibly amazing, it's none of these. It's better than bread made from white flour but it's not health food.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

stenchasaurous wrote:Clearly you didn't, since you've attributed claims to it when it point blank said the opposite. And, most grocery stores I've been in keep their Ezekiel bread frozen or in a cooler for the very reason you keep your whole grain wheat flour in a fridge, because it will go bad on the shelf if left very long at room temperature. You continue to agree with the article, but seem to want to disagree with it so bad :lol:

Not content with polluting 2 sections of the board?

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”