Let's Make Compound Butter, Because Butter Is Good

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

Re: Let's Make Compound Butter, Because Butter Is Good

Post by chef97 »

I learned how to make compound butter(s) back in the 80's when I went to culinary school.... Mostly they were for a topping for steaks coming hot off the broiler.... A nice slice of Morel mushroom & roasted garlic compound butter topped our beef filet steaks, then we had a Dill lemon compound butter for Halibut steaks and more.... You would roast then cool your mushrooms and garlic then incorporate into the compound butter (your link described) at the end of production....... As always, happy cooking!
Chef
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

So that's why restaurant steaks taste slightly different?

I've always heard they don't use a special type of steak. From people on the radio who worked for restaurants to TV shows they always say there's no difference from the ones you can buy from the grocery store. I'm reminded of a movie with some chef saying the secret ingredient is butter. I'm going to try this. Thanks for this recipe.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

CageyVeteran wrote:So that's why restaurant steaks taste slightly different?

I've always heard they don't use a special type of steak. From people on the radio who worked for restaurants to TV shows they always say there's no difference from the ones you can buy from the grocery store. I'm reminded of a movie with some chef saying the secret ingredient is butter. I'm going to try this. Thanks for this recipe.
When purchasing steaks look for the USDA label.... The different grades of steak cuts are: Select (the lowest grade by USDA standards), USDA Choice (fine grocers usually carry this grade exclusively) and then there's USDA Prime which is the best money can buy..... I remember when I lived in Yuma, AZ (8 miles to the border of Mexico) they had a chain of food stores that had great produce for cheap but I always avoided their meat department as there were no USDA signs or stickers on their meat... They only had a sign that said "Origins of meat, Mexico & USA).... Avoid meats that don't carry the USDA label would be my advice if you live in the US.... As always, happy cooking!
Chef

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”